Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

General Chat

General Chat
886 posts | Last Activity on 13-03-2013 05:47 by cavemann
C
cavemann 13-03-2013 05:47, 11 years ago
Re: Digging in the Archives: BackupCopy 1.0
Mmmm, custard-pie...doh!
M
magorium 12-03-2013 17:04, 11 years ago
@cavemann Nah, it is not tiresome at all :) I certainly remember the discussion and i also remember agreeing with you :D I know this sounds as a bad excuse (as it really would take up 10 minutes to rename the categories, another 2 days to sort the posts *kidding*) but have you noticed i even didn't find myself a nice icon for AW ? :shame-on-me: The renaming thing for the menu's is alas not something i can do for you :( Perhaps a good thing as well. i would probably rename them all to names of delicious desserts (fe custard-pie for news, strawberry-jelly for discussion forum :D). Thank you for the reminder.
rebraist
rebraist 12-03-2013 08:46, 11 years ago
:)
C
cavemann 11-03-2013 19:24, 11 years ago
@magorium and amigamia Very interesting, I come to this site often and I never noticed that menu item (and it's right up top too). Of course, I couldn't even find the search the other day... how embarassing. I think 'News Categories' does not fully tell the story. My suggestion would be changing the nick to something like 'News Archive' or 'News Search' or 'News by Category' or 'News & Reviews'. And I think I've mentioned this before. At the risk of being tiresome, In general I think categories that have the most entries should be at the head of the list and the ones with no entries should be at the tail ;) Also, while I'm being a pest. I wonder why some news categories even exist, Apple, E-bay, Microsoft, Windows, PHP-Fusion and a few others. My two cents, and apologies for ranting off topic.
M
magorium 11-03-2013 17:38, 11 years ago
Hi rebaist, I actually like that idea :) I think the best section for that would be in the articles section (link on top). Especially if you want to do some more indepth reviews over what the software is, what it can do and what is postive/negative about it. That way (other) people can comment and rate your article/software as well. But i don't know if you have acces to that section of the board. If not then please send a pm to admin and tell him what it is exactly what you want to do. Unfortunately i cannot help with that.
rebraist
rebraist 11-03-2013 17:20, 11 years ago
thanx for your good advice!!! My idea is to "review" (even old) software from the archives in a simple and "why you should use it" way. Every two or three days. It's not true we have no sware in aros. Simply there's often little jewels that are not advertised enough! Can i do it ? (and how can i do it?):D Thx!
M
magorium 11-03-2013 14:35, 11 years ago
All good things you wrote... that is also exactly as of why i did my [url=http://arosworld.org/news.php?readmore=250]newstpost[/url] ;) I just realized it is not that obvious. If you select news categories (top of screen) and scroll to the newscategory (which you are interrested in) then you see the latest post there. If it's not there you can press more to read the complete list of posts in from that news-category. That's better then clicking through the next button on the frontpage to see old news-postings :) You can also do a search and see if something about a subject already has been posted before. Not that there is something wrong with writing about it in the forums ofcourse. All extra attention (for good software) is welcome :)
rebraist
rebraist 11-03-2013 08:13, 11 years ago
BackupCopy 1.0, as the name implies is a backup manager for our kitty Os! Written by Nigel Tromans, this very useful piece of sware allows to backup our data and, thus, saving it from the evil fingers of your child shouting: DADDY I DELETED THAT USELESS ICON!! Ntromans has thought that saving children's life is a righteous thing to do, so here we are. http://archives.aros-exec.org/index.php?function=showfile&file=utility/shell/backupcopy_v1.0.i386-aros.tar.gz After downloading it, you will find a drawer with backupcopy icon, a pdf handbook, a readme text file, the source (it's written in holliwood). There's even a drawer with mos, os3 and os4 versions: more and more children will be saved! On launch backupcopy makes you choose the source drawer to be copied, then the destination folder. Pay attention that the destination folder must be empty, otherwise it will delete all files in the destination drawer!! I created a drawer named "backup" and chose it as my destination file. Copy started and it all went well! A button "abort" allows you to stop backup process any time. But backup copy doesn't end here: it's primarily a cli program. The icon simply launches it with common options but you can choose from cli window if you want to sinchronize source and destination (mirror), simply delete files that are not in both drawers and so on. Believe me: backupcopy is worth a try! Never kill a child again! Use backupcopy instead!
C
cavemann 09-03-2013 12:17, 11 years ago
Re: 10 Best Programs
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=38&pid=221#post_221][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] @rebaist reset ? since when do we have that ? I am still using the oldfashioned reboot cold :D[/quote] Reset (Ctrl-AROS-AROS) works depending on your hardware. It works fine on my Toshiba L305, but not on my other systems. Ps: Number 7 on my list should read ZuneFig not Amifig :) [b]Edit:[/b] I just retried the reset combo and it actually works on all my machines in VESA mode. Also the 'menu' key can be used on the right hand side instead of the 'AROS' key... or should that be the 'Kitty' Key ;) The reset problems only happened when using native NVidia graphics.
Responded in 10 Best Programs
rebraist
rebraist 09-03-2013 06:40, 11 years ago
Re: Which theme?
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=34&pid=222#post_222][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] Unfair. you are biast ;) ok ok, it is a nice theme, allright ? :)[/quote] :D:D I think Aros has some really nice themes! And i think it's a great loss for everyone that shufflepuck isn't working on themes anymore. He's a really talented guy! I would like to see some jamballah (morphos) themes on aros. He really has a clear style!
Responded in Which theme?
rebraist
rebraist 09-03-2013 06:37, 11 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=38&pid=221#post_221][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] @rebaist reset ? since when do we have that ? I am still using the oldfashioned reboot cold :D[/quote] :D I've forgotten to say: reset isn't a program. Reset is what aros does when i run my programs:D
M
magorium 09-03-2013 00:58, 11 years ago
Unfair. you are biast ;) ok ok, it is a nice theme, allright ? :)
M
magorium 09-03-2013 00:56, 11 years ago
@rebaist reset ? since when do we have that ? I am still using the oldfashioned reboot cold :D
rebraist
rebraist 08-03-2013 19:17, 11 years ago
Obviously Pearl!!:D
rebraist
rebraist 08-03-2013 19:16, 11 years ago
In aros? hmmm shell edit gcc reset shell edit gcc reset :D
M
magorium 02-02-2013 14:25, 11 years ago
Re: Aros Exec
@fsckit Yups, it has been down for more then half a day for me as well :(
Responded in Aros Exec
F
fsckit 02-02-2013 13:40, 11 years ago
Re: Aros Exec
Is it down? I get >Error : Unable to connect to database
Responded in Aros Exec
C
cavemann 01-12-2012 16:15, 11 years ago
The cavemann top 10 app list :) 10 AmiStart 09 NoWinEd 08 MilkyTracker 07 AmiFig 06 Harmony Player 05 BoingIconBar 04 JanoEd 03 J-UAE 02 MPlayer 01 OWB The cavemann top 10 game list :D 10 OpenTyrian 09 Amigang 1941 Extreme 08 SuperTransball 07 LBreakout2 06 KoboDeluxe 05 Hurrican 04 Candy Crisis 03 SuperTuxKart 02 Hex-a-Hop 01 Neverball
M
magorium 01-12-2012 13:16, 11 years ago
Hi trans, Personally i do not really believe in such lists (as they keep changing over time) but since you asked :) Top 10 of things i use most frequently: 1 Wanderer 2 Shell (in all it's variety) 3 Dopus 4 Annotate and/or JanusEditor 5 Compilers (multiple) 6 FTP-server 7 Screengrabber 8 UADE 9 OWB 10 MPlayer Top 10 of current leisure (no particular order): - DOSBox - Vice - FPSE - MAME - Free Heroes II - Hex-a-Hop - Ur-Quan Masters - Janus UAE - Cavestory - Glulxe Unfortunately my daily AROS machine misses accelerated gfx and it shows :( regards,
trans
trans 30-11-2012 12:30, 11 years ago
What are the 10 beast AROS "programs"? I guess I should use the term "apps" instead these days, ey? ;) It can be games, productivity, development tools, whatever. No restrictions. What do you think?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

AROS One x86 Work In Progressby AMIGASYSTEM 140 posts
Tiny Aros DistrĂ²by Amiwell79 103 posts
Bars&Pipes 1.0 is Availableby Amiwell79 53 posts
AROS ABIv0 20220318-1 Supportby deadwood 53 posts
Buttons not shownby OlafSch 9 posts
Errors in DOS commands?by OlafSch 3 posts
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 8
Members Online 0

Total Members: 225
Newest Member: -micky
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]