Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

AROS One Support, Tips And Requests

Last updated on 2 months ago
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 5 months ago
OK you confirm my assumption about Rufus 4.3, about the error on start-up, maybe deadwood might know if it can be fixed.

Meanwhile try updating AROS One 2.2 with D06-P01, D06-P02, D06-P03, and see if anything changes.

To update the USB image of AROS One 2.2 use a VM, overwrite the files included in Patches P01, D06-P02, D06-P03 without touching other things
Signature: AROS One All Thread
AROS One Home Site
AROS One Facebook
AMIGASYSTEM attached the following file:
mos.zip [3.88MB / 101 Downloads]
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 5 months ago

deadwood wrote:

@deadwood - Please try adding 'noacpi' and/or 'noioapic' switches to grub command line to see if that makes a difference.

Adding 'noacpi' to the boot string in grub worked. It boots! This issue wasn't there on 2.1
Posted 5 months ago
Have you also tried the new Build AROS-20211128-D06- + Patches D06-P01, D06-P02, D06-P03 ?

The new AROS One v2.3 will include this new core, at the moment of my PCs only the ACER Aspire 5920 does not boot (black screen) but probably the problem will be fixed by deadwood.

I will now try the new Build AROS-20211128-D07 out now!
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
@amigamia

So D520 boots with noacpi, correct? What about rest of hardware: GFX, AUDIO, LAN, WIFI?

And please use D07 for tests.
Edited by deadwood on 25-11-2023 11:08, 5 months ago
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 5 months ago
Everything was supported on this laptop (Graphic, Sound, Ethernet) with the exception of the WiFi card which can be easily replaced with a supported one.

As matter of fact, I bought one because Nikos was doing several demos on it a few years back. He was showing off 3D acceleration and playing PlayStation games on it with the emulator.

I have replaced the WiFi card with an Atheros AR5BXB63 and it's a fully AROS supported laptop.

I will test the D07 as well and let you know if it works.

Nikos Thread: https://arosworld.org/infusions/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=177&rowstart=0&highlight=D520&pid=1043#post_1043
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
@amigamia

Thanks, a few questions:

1) Which driver(device) are you using for ethernet?
2) Can you give me manufacturer ID and produce ID for the ethernet card from PCI tool.
3) Was replacing WiFi card hard?
4) Can you point me to which atheros card you purchased (preferably link to ebay or something, if not just detailed model so I can purchase it as well)?
G
GundamJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago
Can someone verify that USB Thethering via Android works on Aros ? (I don't have a native installation of Aros right now, so I can't test it myself)

You must choose "usbrndis.device" in AROS Network Prefs.
Then, plug your ANdroid smartphone (with the usb cable) and enable USB thethering in Android settings.

I don't know if rebooting AROS is required.

In case of success, the aros wiki https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/User/Docs should be updated, as it is terribly out-of-date
Posted 5 months ago
Thanks Gundam, it works perfectly on mine Laptop ACER Aspire 5920, see screenshot !

I had never gone on the Internet with Laptop ACER Aspire 5920, Network Card and Wifi not supported Smile

www.arosworld.org/infusions/forum/attachments/test_1.jpg
AMIGASYSTEM attached the following image:
test_1.jpg
R
retrofazaJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago
Where exactly is usbrndis.device located? I don't see anything like that in DEVS:Networks
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 5 months ago

deadwood wrote:

@deadwood - @amigamia

Thanks, a few questions:

1) Which driver(device) are you using for ethernet?
2) Can you give me manufacturer ID and produce ID for the ethernet card from PCI tool.
3) Was replacing WiFi card hard?
4) Can you point me to which atheros card you purchased (preferably link to ebay or something, if not just detailed model so I can purchase it as well)?

1. I use the broadcom4400.device for Ethernet but since I have WiFi working, I don't use it anymore. (See screenshots)
  2. See attached screenshots.
  3. Yes, this laptop comes with an unsupported WiFi card and needs to be replaced with one of these linked below.
  4. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Atheros+AR5BXB63&_sacat=0

Note: When changing the WiFi card you may have to adjust the settings in the BIOS on this laptop. I had issues with the 1st Atheros card and replaced it with another, only to have the same issue. I then discovered that the BIOS had the WiFi card turned off. I have a forum thread about this on the AE.org site https://ae.arosworld.org/index.php?topic=1031.msg13578#msg13578
amigamia attached the following image:
img_20231126_105552266.jpg img_20231126_105606350.jpg img_20231126_105628676.jpg img_20231126_105650267.jpg img_20231123_112437458_1.jpg
Posted 5 months ago

retrofaza wrote:

@retrofaza - Where exactly is usbrndis.device located? I don't see anything like that in DEVS:Networks

That was the question I was also asking myself, then I guessed that he was a resident.

usbrndis.device does not physically exist, you simply write it into Network Prefs, if you run the application "Scout", you will see usbrndis.device embedded in the system
R
retrofazaJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

That was the question I was also asking myself, then I guessed that he was a resident.

usbrndis.device does not physically exist, you simply write it into Network Prefs, if you run the application "Scout", you will see usbrndis.device embedded in the system

Thanks for the clarification. I can confirm that Android USB Thethering works with the Asus M2N68-AM SE2. It would be useful to have some option in the gui to enable it, the average user will never come across that such a thing exists.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
WOW. I didn't know we have tethering working :O. That's something really cool and a good replacement where WiFi card is not supported.

@AMIGASYSTEM, @retrofaza

Does usbrndis.device only "appear" when a compatible android device is plugged in or is it always resident?

I think I'll add some option to Network Prefs for this as this is indeed too hidden for average user.

What happens when you use usbrndis.device in Network Prefs, hit SAVE and then reboot without android connected? Does it crash at startup or does a silent fail?
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
@amigamia

Thanks a lot for explanation. It looks like a strong candidate for one of the recommended hardware.
Posted 5 months ago

deadwood wrote:

Does usbrndis.device only "appear" when a compatible android device is plugged in or is it always resident?

usbrndis.device is always resident, even if Network Prefs is not configured and even when the Smartphone is not connected

I think I'll add some option to Network Prefs for this as this is indeed too hidden for average user.

I tried making a Script to copy the settings on the fly in both ENV and ENV-Archive, it works, but requires a reboot

What happens when you use usbrndis.device in Network Prefs, hit SAVE and then reboot without android connected? Does it crash at startup or does a silent fail?

Procedure:
Before opening Network Prefs I activated USB Tethering on the Smartfon, on Network prefs I added usbrndis.device, activated "Start Network during system boot" and saved the configuration, the Connection is immediate no reboot is needed.

When I restart AROS my Smartphone deactivates the connection and to access the network I have to reactivate it before starting the browser.
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 5 months ago
but just plug in your tlephone and enable it to go on the Internet?
Posted 5 months ago
USB Tethering you can surf the Internet and works with all PCs even if they do not have a Network or WiFI card, of course you have to follow the steps described!
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 5 months ago
ok i understand all rightLike
C
chrisrippNewbie
Posted 2 months ago
hello, aros-2.4 in bootstrap on linux.
Nice distro

i.ibb.co/Y2C6Jr1/shot-2024-02-14-20-22-07.jpg
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: amigamia, deadwood, AMIGASYSTEM, retrofaza, Amiwell79, miker1264, Gundam, chrisripp
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 3
Members Online 1
amigamia

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]