Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Recommended hardware

Last updated on 1 day ago
A
Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 5 months ago

Khadas wrote:

@Khadas - Is there any official place where users can report hardware tested with AROS?

Also, what is the status of nvidia drivers? I can run 1280x1024@60Hz, so I assume these drivers are partially working?

I have a bunch of hardware to test over the weekend.

which graphics card you are using
A
Posted 5 months ago
I don't remember if it was a geforce gtx 470 however the resolution I could connect was very low 1280x1024 is not a bad resolution
KhadasKhadasJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago
Thanks.

Amiwell79

I don't remember if it was a geforce gtx 470 however the resolution I could connect was very low 1280x1024 is not a bad resolution

It is not a bad resolution, but since my monitor uses a 16:10 aspect ratio, 1280x1024 appears partially stretched and slightly blurry.
Also, how do you actually change the resolution? I already changed things in GRUB as well as in the monitor settings in AROS, but the viewport remains the same 1280x1024 while the resolution becomes bigger and the screen just scrolls when I move the mouse cursor towards the borders.

Amiwell79

which graphics card you are using

I am planning to do some testing with the next, as times allows me:

- GFX Cards:
・Nvidia 260GTX
・Nvidia 750Ti
・Nvidia GTS450
・Nvidia GTX650
・Nvidia 8600 GS
・I-O Data GA-RUSH6(*1)
・Nvidia Riva TNT2(*2)
(*1) Not sure if any of my PC/AT motherboards are compatible
(*2) It doesn't have a heatsink, so might not be able to test it. Also same as (*1)

- CPUs:
・Core 2 Duo E8400
・Core 2 Duo E3400
・Core 2 Quad Q9450
・Core i3 540
・Core i7 870
・Celeron G1840
Don't know if this is important anyway.

- Motherboards:
・Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3
・Acer Aspire M3910 (Desktop)
・Asus P7P55D
・Gigabyte GA-H81M-D3V

- Sound:
・Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (SB0350)

- Generic PCI cards:
・MODEM card F-1156IV/R3(*1)
・LAN card with RTL8139D(*2)
(*1) Is it even worth testing?
(*2) I don't know if RTL8139 and RTL8139D are the same or there are differences.

- Internal Drives:
・Various 3.5 and 5.25inch DD and HD disk drives. Don't have any compatible PC/AT that support these, so will be pending.

- Peripherals:
・Two Random chinese multicard readers, one with a reset button(?), another one without(*1)
・External 3.5 inch FDD SONY VAIO PCGA-UFD5(*2)
・External 3.5 inch FDD Logitech LFD-31UE.
・Inkjet Printer EPSON PX-047A (have no idea if it is compatible with post/ghostscript).
・A small thermal printer. Not sure if compatible with post/ghostscript.
・I would like to test Arduino, ESP32 and microcontroller programming, but still don't know how to do this with AROS.
(*1) Mostly interested in how AROS can handle various cards plugged simultaneously into the same reader. What happens if I disconnect the reader instead of each individual card?
(*2) Undocumented. but this is among the few modern USB FDDs that can format 720 and 640Kb disks. I am interested in knowing if/how AROS can handle that.

More to come in the future as well.
A
Posted 5 months ago
you should have no problem configuring a workstation perhaps in dual boot if you can favour us in detail the graphics cards supported
Edited by Amiwell79 on 09-03-2024 06:53, 5 months ago
r-tear-teaNewbie
Posted 2 months ago
@ deadwood

Motherboard
ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 (2: retrofaza, deadwood)
MSI 760GM
ASRock 890FX
ASRock G31M-S
Gigabyte GA-G41MT D3
Gigabyte 73-pvm-s2h
ASUS AT3N7A-I
Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H
MSI H55M-E33

As for MSI 760GM motherboard. Which variant do you mean exactly? There are few: MSI 760GM-P21 (-P23) (-P33)
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
@r-tea

The list in post #33 is not a list of recommended hardware. This was an initial list from which a narrow selection has been made.
r-tear-teaNewbie
Posted 2 months ago
@deadwood

But what is the point for that narrow selection? To make that mobos recomended ones in the future?

Btw. recently an MSI H61M-P20(G3) motherboard has fallen into my hands. I'll give it a try.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago

@r-tea

But what is the point for that narrow selection? To make that mobos recomended ones in the future?

The list in post #33 represented hardware that was "most likely" fully supported. After some tests and discussions, the recommended hardware was selected from that initial list:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_Complete_System_HCL#Recommended_hardware

@r-tea
Btw. recently an MSI H61M-P20(G3) motherboard has fallen into my hands. I'll give it a try.

Great, let us know the results and we will update the complete HCL (https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_Complete_System_HCL#Motherboard)
Edited by amigamia on 28-05-2024 06:54, 2 months ago
A
Posted 3 days ago
Dell Optiplex 380 is a good choice graphics vesa initially but can accommodate a compatible graphics card and also lan, the cpu can be upgraded
A
Posted 3 days ago
As other hardware, I have successfully tried these:

HP Z400
HP Z600
Acer Aspire 5630 laptop model with nvidia graphics card
samsung nc10 netbook
A
Posted 3 days ago
in the HP Z400 and Z600 you can disable the cpu cores for aros you need one, the Z600 can accommodate two separate cpus, you can find systems with nvidia cuda nvs 290 graphics card perfectly compatible with aros but to be able to play all games you need 512 MB of ram minimum so you can think about upgrading with a compatible card I currently have an econoica 8400 GS, the lan is not supported you have to get a separate card
A
Posted 3 days ago
yes perhaps I have previously communicated references regarding the computers I used and they were not included in the list I did not understand this
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 3 days ago
@Amiwell79

These are all good computers and AROS of course runs on many more hardware than just recommended hardware list. The reason that the computers you listed did not make it to the recommended hardware list is that they don't meet all the criteria (read post #1 in this thread for criteria)

1) Acer 5630 doesn't have working LAN and it can't be replaced. It also has poor availablity last time I checked.
2) Smsung NC10 does not have working LAN
3) HP Z400/Z440 have really good availability, but they are ambigouse - this is not a single computer but family. So the user might buy it and they end up with unsupported video card (radeon or never nvidia) and the need to buy LAN card - so two elements need to be replaced whereas recommended hardware needs at most replacement of one component. Actually if we find a way to identify models that have supported nvidia cards, then the ambiguity would be removed and this would be a candidate for recommended hardware.
A
Posted 3 days ago
i understand deadwood ok
J
JumpingKiwiJunior Member
Posted 3 days ago
Fully Booting

Intel D945GSEJT (Johnstown)

VESA Only modes of video this may be updated as I test more like networking and sound etc further on. But I would bbet top dollar it is practically a full spec system with this board as it operates with the same OS written to a hard drive on other devices

Fully Booting Tested Playing A Demoscene With Sound No Other Testung So Far Done

These systems operate in up to a stage of testing with soumd and video via a hard drive that has been created using the Intel D945GSEJT (Johnstown) motherboard spec:

chipset
Chipset Intel 945GSE (Calistoga)
chipChipset parts
Intel 82945GSE (GMCH)
Intel 82801GBM (ICH7M)
chipAudio chips
Realtek ALC662 (High Definition Audio)
chipVideo chips
Intel GMA 950 (Graphics Media Accelerator 950)
chipNetwork chips
Realtek RTL8111DL
chipSuper I/O chips
Winbond W83627DHG

The Hard Drive has then been transplanted into different machines listed below the machines I have tried this way have been found to boot with sound and demoscene playback:

Minix HD Mini D250

CPU – Intel dual-core (4 threads) D2550 processor @ 1.86GHz
Chipset – Intel NM10
GPU – Intel GMA 3600 Series
System Memory – 2x 1.5V DDR3 @ 800/1066MHz SO-DIMM sockets
Audio – Onboard 6-channel HD Audio Codec (Realtek ALC661), 5.1 channel high definition audio

Operates in VESA screen mode only over the HDMI port using native graphics screen mode will cause off screen resizing of the desktop and the video becomes a multi coulered garbled mess VESA works as normal to an extent I have only tested the demoscene pkayback and the audio which both function.

MSI - 7677_VER: 1.2 motherboard

With a matched pair of 8gb Kingston KVR ram sticks

Pluggen into HDMI port and ran the OS from the menu in 1280x1024 VESA True Colour node

workung demoscene tested with audio

GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2 (motherboard)
AMD Athlon X250 cpu
2gb of 1gb sticks matched pair crucial ddr2

Also VESA likely VGA mode works with audio in demoscenes

FAILED BOARD:

ASROCK N68C-S UCC (motherboard)
Phenom II x6 1055T (cpu)
ELPIDA DDR3 1gb 10600U

Boots to menu to select video chosing 1024x768 results in permenent black screen as if booting but remains stuck without a video ouput. All other video option choice give the mesaage "NO SIGNAL" on screen.

WIFI Cards Not Working

PCI AMATEL WN5301A-H1-V02

USB

RT636

No further testing on any machine has been done and these may appear to fully work but not in some software this I leave for you to test further but you can try the working systems and get boot so that you can at least tinker and share your findings.

These probably will not come with everything
working as they do not install natively using a disc but they can be used at least to play with a drive from a working machine.

I did find browsers failed to launch on one board the MSI with the i7 in it, the ftp client seemed to launch and many other apllications launched fine others did not and caused system errors both owb and the amifire is it? do not work when transplanting a drive it's missing some links to hardware that gets accessed so as I say some things will work others not for each system likely.
Edited by JumpingKiwi on 24-07-2024 11:44, 3 days ago
A
Posted 1 day ago
on my site there is a compatibility list without the deadwood exceptions
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 6
Members Online 0

Total Members: 243
Newest Member: fred410
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]