Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Recommended hardware

Last updated on 2 months ago
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
you should have no problem configuring a workstation perhaps in dual boot if you can favour us in detail the graphics cards supported
Edited by Amiwell79 on 09-03-2024 06:53, 2 months ago
KhadasKhadasJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Thanks.

Amiwell79

I don't remember if it was a geforce gtx 470 however the resolution I could connect was very low 1280x1024 is not a bad resolution

It is not a bad resolution, but since my monitor uses a 16:10 aspect ratio, 1280x1024 appears partially stretched and slightly blurry.
Also, how do you actually change the resolution? I already changed things in GRUB as well as in the monitor settings in AROS, but the viewport remains the same 1280x1024 while the resolution becomes bigger and the screen just scrolls when I move the mouse cursor towards the borders.

Amiwell79

which graphics card you are using

I am planning to do some testing with the next, as times allows me:

- GFX Cards:
・Nvidia 260GTX
・Nvidia 750Ti
・Nvidia GTS450
・Nvidia GTX650
・Nvidia 8600 GS
・I-O Data GA-RUSH6(*1)
・Nvidia Riva TNT2(*2)
(*1) Not sure if any of my PC/AT motherboards are compatible
(*2) It doesn't have a heatsink, so might not be able to test it. Also same as (*1)

- CPUs:
・Core 2 Duo E8400
・Core 2 Duo E3400
・Core 2 Quad Q9450
・Core i3 540
・Core i7 870
・Celeron G1840
Don't know if this is important anyway.

- Motherboards:
・Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3
・Acer Aspire M3910 (Desktop)
・Asus P7P55D
・Gigabyte GA-H81M-D3V

- Sound:
・Sound Blaster Audigy 2 (SB0350)

- Generic PCI cards:
・MODEM card F-1156IV/R3(*1)
・LAN card with RTL8139D(*2)
(*1) Is it even worth testing?
(*2) I don't know if RTL8139 and RTL8139D are the same or there are differences.

- Internal Drives:
・Various 3.5 and 5.25inch DD and HD disk drives. Don't have any compatible PC/AT that support these, so will be pending.

- Peripherals:
・Two Random chinese multicard readers, one with a reset button(?), another one without(*1)
・External 3.5 inch FDD SONY VAIO PCGA-UFD5(*2)
・External 3.5 inch FDD Logitech LFD-31UE.
・Inkjet Printer EPSON PX-047A (have no idea if it is compatible with post/ghostscript).
・A small thermal printer. Not sure if compatible with post/ghostscript.
・I would like to test Arduino, ESP32 and microcontroller programming, but still don't know how to do this with AROS.
(*1) Mostly interested in how AROS can handle various cards plugged simultaneously into the same reader. What happens if I disconnect the reader instead of each individual card?
(*2) Undocumented. but this is among the few modern USB FDDs that can format 720 and 640Kb disks. I am interested in knowing if/how AROS can handle that.

More to come in the future as well.
Posted 2 months ago
I don't remember if it was a geforce gtx 470 however the resolution I could connect was very low 1280x1024 is not a bad resolution
Posted 2 months ago

Khadas wrote:

@Khadas - Is there any official place where users can report hardware tested with AROS?

Also, what is the status of nvidia drivers? I can run 1280x1024@60Hz, so I assume these drivers are partially working?

I have a bunch of hardware to test over the weekend.

which graphics card you are using
J
Jeff1138Junior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Hi,

In a new thread is ok or add it directly to the wiki but you would need to sign up if you do not want your ip showing for each entry?

https://en.wikibo...er_Account

I used a few shell'd apps to gauge performance fps

2d Doom Doom2 Duke
3d tunnel gearbox cube cube2 50 Quake3
Edited by Jeff1138 on 08-03-2024 00:10, 2 months ago
Posted 2 months ago
many years ago, kalamatee updated gallium, but nothing more was heard of this update, I remember that it was close to doing so on abiv0, but then it didn't, in any case, at the moment it's better to stay with cards that, although obsolete, don't cost so much and give a higher performance in terms of resolution
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Yup, open a new thread in this forum or contact Jeff1138 directly.
Posted 2 months ago
you can open a new thread if you want or discuss it here, the state of the nvidia drivers I know is still at a standstill technology I had a card with these features but I didn't go beyond 1024x768, now I have an old geforce 8400 GS and I have a resolution of 1920x1080, yes maybe it's better to open a new thread
KhadasKhadasJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Is there any official place where users can report hardware tested with AROS?

Also, what is the status of nvidia drivers? I can run 1280x1024@60Hz, so I assume these drivers are partially working?

I have a bunch of hardware to test over the weekend.
S
StudenteerJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
I was looking for additional hardware and was checking my Toshiba L300(D) at Ebay and was surprised by the amount of offers there. The AMD-Versions are definitly compactable (Sempriom / Athlon X2), but with Intel-Versions (Pentium T4400 / Celeron ?) I'm not sure about running with AROS. Both are Socket-based, so there is the possiblity to switch CPU if nessecary. Dissadvantage of this model is the fix bios-battery so you cannot switch it.

On this model, just Ethernet and Wireless not working, the rest works fine (Expresscard-modul not tested yet).

Before saying "candidate for adding into recommended hardware-list", I would welcome if someone can check if intel-version working fine.
Edited by Studenteer on 29-02-2024 17:55, 2 months ago
Posted 2 months ago
for new users, get help in making the best choice regarding hardware, even if you have to take but a couple of very inexpensive cards it's no big deal
E
ericxjoJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
EDIT: Whoops, meant to post in a new thread. Sorry!
Edited by ericxjo on 20-02-2024 17:35, 2 months ago
Posted 3 months ago
there is another thing to point out if gallium will not be updated it is pointless to think of the latest hardware possible i.e. without graphics acceleration in my opinion it is pointless at least for laptops
Posted 3 months ago
there is also achi support that will be fixed and then you will have sata support, i have taken my computers apart from laptops and netbooks always at random but i always refer to systems with features that have been outdated for years
Posted 3 months ago
in my experience, as far as fixed computers are concerned, many are compatible, but we're talking about computers from about ten years ago, but they're still very good, and not only for aros. then you can upgrade with a compatible video card, network card and maybe an SSD. roughly speaking, starting with the intel core 2 duo you can have a good workstation. i don't know which generation of i7 is compatible, maybe the third or fourth or even the fifth
M
MethanoidNewbie
Posted 3 months ago
Again, from memory but didnt Deadwood himself add support for Fermi cards to AROS many years ago?
Edited by Methanoid on 20-02-2024 06:38, 3 months ago
J
Jeff1138Junior Member
Posted 3 months ago
Hi,

AFAIK, fermi and onwards is not supported and most AMD including amdgpu is not as well, am hoping more AMD but who knows what the future might bring

Regarding the HCL, one persons junk is anothers... ;-)
M
MethanoidNewbie
Posted 3 months ago
https://en.wikibo...86_support this page IS actually helpful and relevant (IMHO)

Would ask for Fermi to be clarified.... does it mean GF 5xx or include Fermi GF6xx cards like GT610?

Would ask for AMD comment to be clarified - does this mean all cards that AMDGPU supports (I have a Bonaire card for example somewhere) work with 2D and OpenGL? Or something else? As someone who HAS won the Plain English Campaign's Crystal Mark I can say confidently that the page ISN't the clearest :-)
Edited by Methanoid on 19-02-2024 10:12, 3 months ago
M
MethanoidNewbie
Posted 3 months ago
@retrofaza Oh so buy MORE hardware than be able to see from an HCL what works that I might already have? Not what I want AT ALL

@deadwood Yes I see what you are doing

But the pages of "junk" like this excerpt of "untested" stuff except to tell me USB 3 doesnt work. Well they are just "junk" info to me.

Name Chipset IDE SATA Gfx Audio USB Ethernet Wireless Test Distro Comments
VivoBook 15 K505ZA X505ZA AMD R5 2500U Raven Ridge N/A M.2 Vega GCN 5 with VCN 1 HD USB3 N/A 2018 64bit - 15.6" HD 1366 x 768p - keyboard swap requires removal of all components -
Vivobook F412DK AMD R5 3500U N/A NVMe Radeon 540x HD USB3 2019 64bit - 14in FHD - keyboard swap requires removal of all components -
VivoBook 15 K570ZA X570ZA AMD R5 2500U N/A M.2 Nvidia GTX 1050 HD USB3 N/A 2019 64bit - 15.6in - keyboard swap requires removal of all components -
Vivobook X421DA M413DA, Vivobook X512DA, Vivobook F512DA M515DA, AMD Ryzen 3 3250U later AMD R5 3500U R7 3700U 2 NVMe AMD RX Vega 3 HD Audio with codec USB 3.1 gen N/A 2019 2020 14in, 15.6in FHD IPS dull - internal battery - ram soldered - keyboard swap requires removal of all components -
Zenbook 14 AMD 3700U 4500U N/A NVMe Vega 8 or 10 Gen 3 N/A 2019 64bit - LPDDR4 ram - keyboard swap requires removal of all components -
Asus VivoBook Flip 14 TM420 4500U 4700U N/A NVMe Vega 3 or 7 USB3 N/A 2020 64bit convertible - 4gb ram soldered with 1 sodimm slot - internal battery - keyboard swap requires removal of all components -

I was hoping the HCL would have finally evolved to something like those that Hackintosh sites offer - more in the form "this chipset LAN will work, this doesnt, this chipset GPU works, this doesnt, this Sound chipset works" but its not.

I'm not expecting anyone to give a stuff about what I think but I am just expressing how I think AROS is making itself more and more niche and less relevant when you cannot "join the club" without buying the cheap compatible recommended kit.

I'm pretty confident I have AROS supported kit and can run it. I just don't think it's encouraging new users. Deadwood has been an AROS stalwart for years so maybe you are too close to it to see this.

Just my 2p. My world isn't affected if nobody cares :-)
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 3 months ago
@Methanoid

The HCL contains now two sections. One starting from "Recommended hardware" contain hardware that is re-tested and certified to work. This is for people who don't want to experiment and just want to buy hardware that works and is guaranteed to be working. Second section, starting from "Laptops" list information on multiple hardware that was tested with AROS throughout the years. This one is for people who like to experiment and find out what works and what does not.

The "Recommended hardware" section currently contains 2 portable models, 1 desktop model and 4 motherboad models along with indiction of GPUs to use. As I read your post, this is what you are looking for: hardware that is proven to work and that will continue being supported and re-tested with future releases.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 5
Members Online 0

Total Members: 228
Newest Member: r-tea
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]