Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Development General

Development General
1710 posts | Last Activity on 05-12-2012 19:20 by ChrisH
ChrisH
ChrisH 05-12-2012 19:20, 11 years ago
Re: RequestFile/IF script problem on AROS - help!
[quote](I think) this solves my problem[/quote] Damn. No it doesn't, because now the script doesn't work on OS4 (and perhaps not MOS either - can't test at the moment). I need to choose different (script) code for AROS vs not. Is there any easy way to identify whether a script is running on AROS or not? [quote] Nice, such a dual question on multiple forums ;)[/quote] If you want, I can just post on aros-exec ;)
M
magorium 05-12-2012 19:18, 11 years ago
Nice, such a dual question on multiple forums ;) Good that it does, as that means the documentation is not lacking :) If it doesn't solve the problem then please post script again :D. I f believe it's something like: [code]REQUESTFILE >ram:blah Title etc. IF WARN echo 'filename not returned' ELSE echo 'filename was returned' ENDIF[/code]
ChrisH
ChrisH 05-12-2012 19:08, 11 years ago
@magnorium My mistake. RequestFile does indeed set WARN when cancelled. (I think) this solves my problem :)
M
magorium 05-12-2012 18:36, 11 years ago
Hi Chris [quote]Also note that RequestFile does NOT return an error code when cancelled (not on OS4 either), so I can't use "IF WARN".[/quote] That's strange, as [url=http://aros.sourceforge.net/documentation/users/shell/requestfile.php]our documentation[/url] state that it does. Not that i don't believe you, but are you sure ?
ChrisH
ChrisH 05-12-2012 15:19, 11 years ago
I'm trying to get a simple AmigaDOS script to work on AROS, and have run into a problem which I can't solve. Here is basically what I am doing: [code]SetEnv AnnPathReply "" RequestFile TITLE "Where is Annotate located?" DRAWERSONLY >Env:AnnPathReply IF "$AnnPathReply" EQ "" SKIP Quit ENDIF LAB Quit[/code] On AmigaOS4 this works as expected, but on AROS the "IF" command gets very confused by the fact that the AnnPathReply already contains quote marks, and so gives this error message: [quote]If: wrong number of arguments[/quote] If I have "Set echo on" enabled, then you can see why it gets confused: [quote]IF ""Work:Chris/Annotate/"" EQ ""[/quote] Please do NOT suggest that I remove my quotes around $AnnPathReply, because when I cancel RequestFile the IF line would fail because it'd look like this: [quote]IF EQ ""[/quote] Also note that RequestFile does NOT return an error code when cancelled (not on OS4 either), so I can't use "IF WARN". I'm kinda shocked that using RequestFile in a script isn't possible on AROS. Hasn't anyone else run into this problem? Or is there some other solution I overlooked? As it currently stands I can't write a simple installer script that works on AROS :-(
M
magorium 01-12-2012 12:54, 11 years ago
Re: AROS Finish Line
Hi trans, [quote]I don't have nearly the kind of money that would make a bit of difference.[/quote] Ah, but that is the charm of our bounty system :). Please take a look [url=http://www.power2people.org/projects/overview/]here[/url] at power2people.org and see for yourself that even the slightest amount of donation _does_ make a difference :D. One of the most recent examples is the open-source-ing of [url=http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/64]Dopus Magellan[/url]. I agree it could perhaps have raised faster with another way of rasing money. Nonetheless it has taken less then a year (if i am not mistaken). I find that pretty impressive for such small community. [quote]A Kickstarter campaign could flush the bounty system full of cash though, which could help speed up delivery and might even attract a few new core developers.[/quote] Don't get me wrong here. If you want to do something like that, you better talk it over with the devs and if they like the idea then please do not let me stop you :) The thing is that I believe that it is not about the money (so no singing [url=https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DPUYdi43qXHc&sa=U&ei=BjC6UP6PPIeZ0QXvmYCYDA&ved=0CCAQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNEJKoRn5VN6COMjjIw1PQ7J_mPUuA]Meja[/url]). As you might see for yourself on our bounty system, there are enough low-cash bounties that are taken. I don't even think current developers take the _amount_ in concideration. I think it can merely work as a little persuasion. I personally believe that not a single developer would work faster or harder on a taken project if the amount of money was higher. Let's picture for example that there would be enough cash to let a developer work on AROS full-time for say a year. Does that fit into your personal profile ? Would you say to your boss i'm outta here for a year to do something i really like and would you then welcome me back when i am finished ? How would your wife like that and your children ? Would your bank like that idea for the finance of the morgage ? etc. etc. Thereby i personally believe there is no need for fast goldiggin' guys that are only there _for_ the money. Current developers system is that developers take responsibility for their code. If you break anything with your code you are responsible for fixing that as well. Something i believe to _not_ fit into a golddiggers profile. But please do not let my personal opinion hold your ideas back. If you really believe an idea is good then please try and see how others opinions are on that matter. Unfortunately most developers whom it concerns are not active here but on aros-exec.org. regards, fixed typo (with thx to da unnamed middle man who always saves my life in such situations ;))
Responded in AROS Finish Line
trans
trans 30-11-2012 09:59, 11 years ago
[quote]Of course this is my personal opinion but i don't think the core-developers need such thing atm. Ofcourse if you want to send in money to p2p to support aros devs then please do[/quote] I don't have nearly the kind of money that would make a bit of difference. A Kickstarter campaign could flush the bounty system full of cash though, which could help speed up delivery and might even attract a few new core developers.
M
magorium 24-11-2012 09:40, 11 years ago
Hi trans, [quote]Awesome![/quote] Yes it is indeed :) [quote]Then it seems the goal isn't too far off.[/quote] And hasn't been for a while now. It's just that things keeps improving because incompatabilities are discovered. So on the outside it seems to stand still a bit sometimes. [quote]I wonder at what point in the 90 percentile will be "good enough" to proclaim success?[/quote] Ofcourse this is a personal opinion for everyone to decide. Still some things are lacking which is needed to be more compatible. f.e. the Zune/MUI compatibility is atm something that shows in every day usage. The bounty was already taken, turned down and taken again :D [quote]Gosh. It's so close that I almost feel like drumming up a "call to bounty" campaign to push it to the finish line.[/quote] Ofcourse this is my personal opinion but i don't think the core-developers need such thing atm. Ofcourse if you want to send in money to p2p to support aros devs then please do :) The work is moving steadily towards the end-goal of being AmigaOS compatible. But Aros is more, and aims to go beyond that as well. Imo that is exactly what is a difficult thing for the core-developers. One day someone ask for better support for his/her graphics card, another asks for better support for his/her audiocard. And underneath in the Aros core a lot of things sometimes changes in order to make it ready to be prepared for future implementations. for example deadwood is backporting almost two years of inner-core development even as we speak (so please take note of the new released versions of distributions like Icaros and AspireOS). And core developers time is limited, so what to choose ? Caught between a rock and a hard place :/ [quote]Is it enough for a Kickstarter?[/quote] We work with bounties. Much more reliable :). Please don't forget the number of core-developers is low and their time limited. Everyone knows what needs to be done in order to let Aros complete some of it's goals. It's just that not everybody out there is fit for the job (sort of speak). In that regards you can help as well. Evryone can. Translate some text, do some development, report issues and above all try and enjoy the use of aros :-) On a sidenote: 68k development is lacking a bit lately because core 68k developers are pretty much occupied delivering support for other platforms for Aros. If you know someone (or perhaps yourself) is able to give a hand then let them contact the developers on aros-exec.org or the developers mailinglist. We most certainly can use an extra pair of hands. [quote]Oh, and thanks.[/quote] No Problem :) [quote]Glad to be here among fellow Arosians![/quote] Same-o-same-o :D regards,
trans
trans 24-11-2012 00:47, 11 years ago
Awesome! Then it seems the goal isn't too far off. I wonder at what point in the 90 percentile will be "good enough" to proclaim success? Gosh. It's so close that I almost feel like drumming up a "call to bounty" campaign to push it to the finish line. Is it enough for a Kickstarter? Oh, and thanks. Glad to be here among fellow Arosians!
M
magorium 23-11-2012 00:14, 11 years ago
Hello trans, And also welcome to these forums from me :) [quote] How close is AROS to it original goal of full compatibility with AmigaOS 3.1?[/quote] Technically i agree with cavemann here. But please also keep in mind that those pages need a bit of an update :). Also keep in mind that AROS has more functionality/support/extensions then the orginal classic amiga OS had. So in some fields there are still things lacking (some api calls for example) and on other fields AROS has more to offer (f.e. more supported hardware). You can check it out yourself (if you want to) with the AROS Vision distribution or a m68k nightly. You can do that both on your classic machine (providing you have enough speed -> 68040+ or better yet an acceleration board) or in an emulator such as winUAE. regards,
C
cavemann 22-11-2012 01:05, 11 years ago
Aros is about 80 percent compatible according to this page. [url]http://aros.sourceforge.net/introduction/status/everything.php[/url] btw, welcome to ArosWorld :)
trans
trans 21-11-2012 14:38, 11 years ago
How close is AROS to it original goal of full compatibility with AmigaOS 3.1?
C
cavemann 05-02-2012 23:56, 12 years ago
Re: ArosVision development to start soon (I hope)
@SamuraiCrow Moving is not fun this time of year. That probably goes double for South Dakota. But a good job in this economy is something to "crow" about. Congrats SamB)
S
SamuraiCrow 05-02-2012 20:06, 12 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=2&pid=82#post_82][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] @SamuraiCrow --snip-- For now: 400 miles is a long way and i hope all that moving stuff is going to happen without too much hassle for you. Wish you luck ![/quote] Thanks!
M
magorium 04-02-2012 00:32, 12 years ago
@SamuraiCrow Thank you for your comprehensive explanation. It explains a lot :) and it is an interresting path :) My initially thought was commenting on your explanation but: [quote]Now for the big news: I've got a job lined up 400 miles away in South Dakota. I'll be moving this month and part of next.[/quote] Makes it a bit redundant and not so important anymores :) Congratulations on your new job !! i really hope it works out for you and at the same time are going to have some fun overthere. Concerning that development i also imagine you have more pressing matters to attend at the moment :D Although i am a little sad about the possible road the vision project is heading (no aros version that is) i can imagine bigger things for some kind of Vision implemented in java. Then u r talking a whole other ballgame :) But like u said only when bigger balls come into play u would leave wxVision ;) If it where up to me then i would say: Kick Some Balls !! :D For now: 400 miles is a long way and i hope all that moving stuff is going to happen without too much hassle for you. Wish you luck !
S
SamuraiCrow 03-02-2012 23:03, 12 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=2&pid=80#post_80][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] [quote]SamuraiCrow wrote: If you look at the screenshot, the icons along the bottom are the building-blocks of Modules. It is loosely based on C++, Java, and C# as well as PortablE.[/quote] Ok, although the screenshot looks very nice (it even reminded me a little of amigavision somehow), you definately lost me somewhere :-) Did you meant the vision-modules itself are loosly based upon those mentioned languages or that underlying generated code is ? If i remember correctly: programs made in (amiga)vision produced some kind of basic-dialect code that could easily be transformed ? I take/took it the initial though was to be able to let your vision-implementation generated user-defineable target-source/code (also (and perhaps) taking into consideration the llvm project) ? I had the impression you wanted to generate E-sourcecode from your vision-builder/editor ? Or would it just produce a (visionlanguage)source that needs to be interpreted by the target languege (e.g. E, C++ etc.) Or is it that you just go along, any which way that seems plausible ? :) I just hope you can keep it interresting enough for yourself to stay interrested in this endevour. Too much satbacks can be a pita... [/quote] Originally, in my ArosVision plans, I was going to parse in PortablE as an importer and use PortablE as the exporter as well. Since the cGUI classes in the PortablE runtime libraries are taking a while and some deep thought on ChrisH's part, I've pretty much abandoned the idea of basing it on PortablE now. wxVision is based more directly on C++ than ArosVision was. My current plan is to make it able to access some C++ libraries. (Mainly using the ones that don't use multiple inheritance for more than just interfaces.) I also have plans to make it operate independently of the text-based parsers altogether (unless you consider XML or JSON as text). The Clang C++ compiler is designed with a modular library structure. It is the C++ frontend for LLVM and is written entirely in C++. I was planning on using the optimizer and code generators of LLVM for wxVision in the hopes that I could import support from C++ friendly OS functionality. Now for the big news: I've got a job lined up 400 miles away in South Dakota. I'll be moving this month and part of next. This job is going to be programming in Java so I might just see if some of the ideas that I have will work in Java. That will save me some effort of writing runtime libraries if I try to make a jVision instead. It won't help Aros much though since Aros doesn't have ports of the Java runtime class libraries. The only reason I would foresee ditching wxVision in favor of a Java-based approach is if the people in charge at my place of employment decide that it would be a good idea to pursue such a visual language as a professional venture. Since they are partners with Oracle and there was an XML-based language being developed at Sun Microsystems before Oracle bought them out. Perhaps there might be some interest.
M
magorium 02-02-2012 06:46, 12 years ago
[quote]SamuraiCrow wrote: wxWidgets are wrappers for existing GUI libraries. The wxObject root class just does reference-counting for purposes of deallocating unused objects. It's a substitute for garbage collection.[/quote] ah yes this clears things up :). I also had a look at the wxwidgets.org website. It seems wxwidgets enounters the same problems lazarus has with it's lcl which is not completly 100% compatible on all platforms. Add your own set of visual controls and you have all extra work ahead of you indeed :(. [quote]SamuraiCrow wrote: My hope is that wxVision will be object-oriented enough that the objects (called Modules) will be imported from some other high-level OOP language.[/quote] imho that depends on the programmer ;). I really wish i had more time, it would be an ideal project to tinker with in freepascal :S [quote]SamuraiCrow wrote: If you look at the screenshot, the icons along the bottom are the building-blocks of Modules. It is loosely based on C++, Java, and C# as well as PortablE.[/quote] Ok, although the screenshot looks very nice (it even reminded me a little of amigavision somehow), you definately lost me somewhere :-) Did you meant the vision-modules itself are loosly based upon those mentioned languages or that underlying generated code is ? If i remember correctly: programs made in (amiga)vision produced some kind of basic-dialect code that could easily be transformed ? I take/took it the initial though was to be able to let your vision-implementation generated user-defineable target-source/code (also (and perhaps) taking into consideration the llvm project) ? I had the impression you wanted to generate E-sourcecode from your vision-builder/editor ? Or would it just produce a (visionlanguage)source that needs to be interpreted by the target languege (e.g. E, C++ etc.) Or is it that you just go along, any which way that seems plausible ? :) I just hope you can keep it interresting enough for yourself to stay interrested in this endevour. Too much satbacks can be a pita... regards,
S
SamuraiCrow 31-01-2012 22:44, 12 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=2&pid=76#post_76][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] From your experience i gather that you would have to do that wrapping for each and every (new) vision item you want to add ? And just out of developer's curiousity: weren't you able to use a standard customizable wxwidget to be used for your (specific) vision components ? I really do not have any experience with wxwidget (other then the occasionally application which i install that needs it). [/quote] wxWidgets are wrappers for existing GUI libraries. The wxObject root class just does reference-counting for purposes of deallocating unused objects. It's a substitute for garbage collection. My hope is that wxVision will be object-oriented enough that the objects (called Modules) will be imported from some other high-level OOP language. Originally I hoped it would be PortablE, but it might be C++ or Java depending how it is written. If you look at the screenshot, the icons along the bottom are the building-blocks of Modules. It is loosely based on C++, Java, and C# as well as PortablE.
M
magorium 30-01-2012 22:01, 12 years ago
Hi SamuraiCrow, For reasons beyond me i completly missed your progress-report (both here and on ae) :(. Nice to see you at least are making progress and i am sorry to hear that things didn't really go the way as was planned. Wrapperwriting always seems a bit unsatisfactory from a programmer's stand of view. From your experience i gather that you would have to do that wrapping for each and every (new) vision item you want to add ? And just out of developer's curiousity: weren't you able to use a standard customizable wxwidget to be used for your (specific) vision components ? I really do not have any experience with wxwidget (other then the occasionally application which i install that needs it). Wish u luck! p.s. Almost forget to thank you for your (earlier) answers -> Thank You :) regards,
S
SamuraiCrow 15-01-2012 16:24, 12 years ago
As a quick update, I'm focusing my efforts on a wxWidgets-based version of ArosVision called wxVision. It should run on all of the major platforms plus some of the minor ones also. =edit= I've posted a screenshot of my current test-build on [url=http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6605&forum=2&post_id=62967#forumpost62967]an AROS-Exec thread[/url].
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

AROS One x86 Work In Progressby AMIGASYSTEM 140 posts
Tiny Aros DistrĂ²by Amiwell79 103 posts
Bars&Pipes 1.0 is Availableby Amiwell79 53 posts
AROS ABIv0 20220318-1 Supportby deadwood 52 posts
Buttons not shownby OlafSch 4 posts
Errors in DOS commands?by OlafSch 3 posts
Rufus 3.x and Rufus 4.x.by AMIGASYSTEM 1 post
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 3
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]