Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Hardware

Supported Hardware
349 posts | Last Activity on 04-06-2013 00:59 by cavemann
C
cavemann 04-06-2013 00:59, 11 years ago
Re: ATI and AROS
@bearsoft Will try it out - thanks :)
Responded in ATI and AROS
B
bearsoft 03-06-2013 23:31, 11 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=62&pid=353#post_353][b]cavemann wrote:[/b][/url] @hean8209 I assume this is for an Agp system, so I have an Sapphire 9000 (Ati 9000 clone) running on an old 1.2 ghz machine. Since you are not interested in 3d I ran the 2d game Blobwars as a benchmark. In Ati mode the game ran at 21 to 25 fps. In Vesa mode it was slightly slower at 20 to 23 fps. If you prefer another benchmark, let us know. I normally run this setup in Vesa mode. In Native Ati mode, the graphics will start with black icons. But after you set the Screen mode in prefs, the screen will look normal. The problem with using Ati mode is that when many programs start, they will scramble the graphics, so you end up rebooting. That is why I always use Vesa on that machine, even though native mode can sometimes be nicer with some programs.[/quote] Do you use this driver? http://www.syntaxsociety.se/~bearsoft/
C
cavemann 23-05-2013 02:50, 11 years ago
@hean8209 I assume this is for an Agp system, so I have an Sapphire 9000 (Ati 9000 clone) running on an old 1.2 ghz machine. Since you are not interested in 3d I ran the 2d game Blobwars as a benchmark. In Ati mode the game ran at 21 to 25 fps. In Vesa mode it was slightly slower at 20 to 23 fps. If you prefer another benchmark, let us know. I normally run this setup in Vesa mode. In Native Ati mode, the graphics will start with black icons. But after you set the Screen mode in prefs, the screen will look normal. The problem with using Ati mode is that when many programs start, they will scramble the graphics, so you end up rebooting. That is why I always use Vesa on that machine, even though native mode can sometimes be nicer with some programs.
M
magorium 22-05-2013 21:50, 11 years ago
Hi hean8209, Sorry for the late reaction, but i am a bit puzzled. You say you have issues with your NVidia cards. This is/was a known problem. Have you tried again with the latest icaros ? Furthermore, if the driver gives you issues with your card _and_ you do not care much about 3D (ofcourse with means more cool games :D) why don't you try vesa mode with your current video-card(s) ? Or does that still gives problems for you ? Please don't forget that AROS is being worked on and isn't a finished product. Milage may vary per nightly build. It is also why fe Icaros has a special legacy version.
M
magorium 21-04-2013 14:09, 11 years ago
Re: Max Specs
[quote][b]hean8209 wrote:[/b] ... anything more is probably a waste (on a dedicated AROS box at least, not on a dual boot system)[/quote] I really love my ram: disk, it's so quiet and fast ;)
Responded in Max Specs
H
hean8209 21-04-2013 08:35, 11 years ago
Since having trouble with all my Nvidia cards on latest Icaros, I am looking into the possibility of using an ATI card instead. Anyone have a suggestion of a good model that can fit what I am looking for: 1. Stability (On par with VESA) 2. 2D performance (3D support is irrelevant to me) 3. Passive cooling Other card suggestions that are quick in VESA are also welcome
H
hean8209 21-04-2013 08:24, 11 years ago
Only time I managed to go Out Of Memory on aros was when I started OWB with only 128MB RAM.. Anything above 512MB is quite enough for everday use, 1GB is what I recommend, 2GB doesnt hurt.. anything more is probably a waste (on a dedicated AROS box at least, not on a dual boot system)
Responded in Max Specs
C
cavemann 20-04-2013 01:21, 11 years ago
Re: My Aboxes!
@brimars Ahaa... your first post. Welcome to ArosWorld. I am not familiar with that laptop, but it sounds nice. Looking forward to the benchmarks, if you get a chance :)
Responded in My Aboxes!
emeck
emeck 24-03-2013 06:56, 11 years ago
Didn't want to be left that far behind so these are my VESA results under QEmu with a Radeon X1250: Gears ~= 71.7 fps Tunnel ~= 7.5 fps Gearbox ~= 3.1 fps Reflect ~= 39.25 fps
Responded in My Aboxes!
C
cavemann 23-03-2013 21:10, 11 years ago
@magorium I have an IntelGMA system also. Unhappily my GMA4500 is not supported by AROS. As a matter of fact if I try to run native it crashes so hard that I have to remove and replace the battery before the laptop will boot again. But it runs in VESA very nicely. I did not realize how nice until I compared it to the other VESA tests I did. IntelGMA 4500m - VESA mode only(fps). Gears ~= 95 Tunnel ~= 12.24 Gearbox ~= 4.9 Reflect ~= 54.6 :D
Responded in My Aboxes!
M
magorium 23-03-2013 05:35, 11 years ago
@cavemann: Yeah swapping things this way usually works splendid ;) native setup is intel GMA 950 (no 3d), a GF315 (no output, so can't tell :D) and ocasionnaly i have acces to a machine with a nx4800 (but that is really unstable).
Responded in My Aboxes!
C
cavemann 22-03-2013 02:04, 11 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=49&pid=279#post_279][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] *ouch* that hurts :D. me wanna.[/quote] A neighborhood guy bought a new video card and was selling his Gf8400 on Craigslist. I got it real cheap :P The speed is nice and the devs fixed the graphic corruptions, but on my system it seems a bit too unstable since the kernal change :( [b]Edit:[/b] (more unstable with some games) So what do you have on your native setup?
Responded in My Aboxes!
M
magorium 20-03-2013 18:42, 11 years ago
@cavemann, *ouch* that hurts :D. me wanna.
Responded in My Aboxes!
emeck
emeck 20-03-2013 18:27, 11 years ago
@cavemann This are the results for the GeForce4 with VESA mode: Gears ~= 40.65 fps Tunnel ~= 5.2 fps Gearbox ~= 1.95 fps Reflect ~= 22.5 fps
Responded in My Aboxes!
C
cavemann 20-03-2013 17:40, 11 years ago
@emeck I see you used the VESA driver. Here are some times for comparison. VESA mode: Gf6200 / Gf8400 (fps) Gears ~= 70 / 77 Tunnel ~= 8.63 / 9.20 Gearbox ~= 3.3 / 3.6 Reflect ~= 39.4 / 44.7 Nouveau drivers: Gf6200 / Gf8400 (fps) Gears ~= 1150 / 1470 Tunnel ~= 343 / 438 Gearbox ~= 184 / 338 Reflect ~= 890 / 943
Responded in My Aboxes!
rebraist
rebraist 16-03-2013 16:40, 11 years ago
Re: Hw Review: Wireless for Every Arosian!
Yes, you need a supported ethernet card!:)
M
magorium 16-03-2013 15:37, 11 years ago
Hi rebaist, Much better reading. Thank you :) That is a really nice device. I never knew things like that existed. It seems indeed a good solution, since it does not require extra drivers. It would still require an ethernetcard that is supported by AROS not ? I found a english link [url=http://www.onyougo.com/tele-system-wi-lly-02-plus-network-cards--adapters_pi1880570]here[/url] (as i could only find a italian manual/links). I know it is childish to say but still i couldn't help myself: Yes! finally a willy for my pussy :D
rebraist
rebraist 16-03-2013 15:22, 11 years ago
One of the most annoying things i've had to with aros is its lack of wide range of wireless driver. Basically there's only two: atheros5000 and rtl81xx. These are two chips you don't find so easily today and limited to G wifi. But not every nic based on those chipsets will work: you could buy two different rtl81xx network cards and you would have (maybe) one that works and the other not. If you're lucky. I have three usb rtl81xx bought on ebay. The first two don't work with aros. The third... sometimes will work, sometimes not. Today i was in a supermarket buying stuff for my house. I've found this: "Tele System Wi-lly 0.2 Plus" Basically it's a very little white box with a microusb port and two rj45. I read on the box: router wifi, access point, repeater, bridge. Best of the best it doesn't need external power (is usb powered). Price: 45 euro. Not so cheap but it WORKS. And I explain why: you plug a network cable and an usb one to it (there's both of them 10 inches long ones in the box). If your router supports WPS 2.0 just push the button on your home router. Otherwise you go in your OWB, fire up the web interface, choose your nework and you are online... (it supports WEP,WPA,WPA2, AES, TKIP, G and N classes) Obviously it stores your settings in its flash memory. Just plug it and you're online. NO MORE STRANGE WIRELESS NICS OR DRIVER. THIS IS WIRELESS FOR EVERY OS. You just need a working ethernet card... I've not discovered the moon but it's totally mobile. I'm now writing from my acer Aspire 3003 LM. without any chord, power cable or anything other. And i'm sure it will work even with my mos3.1 powerbook because it's simply a network card... I love simple things.. And this is not only a simple thing it's simply the fastest wireless aros connection ever made on this earth...
M
magorium 16-03-2013 06:30, 11 years ago
I even believe it is actually 2gb hard_wired. If not mistaken that is because of the same 1 bit that is needed for returning a negative value if a dos-api-call fails.
Responded in Max Specs
hard_wired
hard_wired 16-03-2013 06:08, 11 years ago
Also bear in mind that AROS is only capable of handling files up to 4GB of size - Unless it has been changed in the last few months, which then I stand corrected!
Responded in Max Specs
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

AROS One x86 Work In Progressby AMIGASYSTEM 140 posts
Tiny Aros DistrĂ²by Amiwell79 103 posts
AROS ABIv0 20220318-1 Supportby deadwood 55 posts
Bars&Pipes 1.0 is Availableby Amiwell79 53 posts
Buttons not shownby OlafSch 9 posts
WipEout Rewriteby Farox 4 posts
Errors in DOS commands?by OlafSch 3 posts
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 5
Members Online 0

Total Members: 225
Newest Member: -micky
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]