Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

AROS ABIv0 20220318 Development [CLOSED]

Last updated on 1 month ago
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 4 months ago

deadwood wrote:

Additional question: Do you know if on OS3 is there any tool type that tells programs not to open Shell console if text is output (as in case of DOSBox)?

Not to my knowledge. However do note that it depends on the default tool that is being used. The default tool decides which tooltypes to support (or not). It is only that default tooltypes (that from the workbench (launcher) itself) do not seem to support such a feature.

Having said that, I am aware that not every (default) tooltype is documented, the CLI tooltype is an example of that. I always thought that was required to explicitly open a shell (but can't remember if it actually is/was).

On the other hand, no matter what you instruct using a tooltype, if the default tool decides to ignore that (such as in the case of my wbXcli tool which opens a shell on its own no matter what and as it see fit) then you are still facing the consequences.

Note that this is one of the reasons that I actually wrote wbXcli: to be able to run a shell command (from the workbench) and provide the default tool with additional commandline arguments so that whenever a command supports additional options (such as silencing the output) that it can be passed along (even though f.e. something like DOSBOX has no notion of tooltypes whatsoever).
Edited by magorium on 13-01-2024 19:07, 4 months ago
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 4 months ago
deadwood, version 0.73b on Aminet, has the same problem as the CLI window, but the system does not crash if you close the shell.

Version 0.73b does not use the posixc/stdc libraries

http://aminet.net...b-aros_x86
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 4 months ago
@magorium

I was looking at simpler use case of lauching a tool/program itself.

Actually looking at the code there are two things related to a console. Adding CLI tooltype forces the program to be started "as if" it was started via Shell (and this means a bit different starting rules) and by extension opens Shell window. If program is not started from Shell but from "Workbench" it will create a console window on it's own during startup and bring it up as soon as the program prints something. In order to force the program to not open the "hidden" console, __nostdiowin global variable needs to be defined in the program itself. This however disables the window always. I was looking if there is an official tooltype that does the same - disables this hiddden console window.

@AMIGASYSTEM

The problem you reported with DOSBox actually seems to be with GCC and it's C++ support. It's a wider topic where DOSBox just shows it, becuase I recompiled it. This is an issue that needs to be solved before release.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 4 months ago
@AMIGASYSTEM

The problem you reported with TheBar 26.22 not allowing Prefs/Zune to open - doesn't it also affect AROS One 2.3 (old C)?

EDIT:

The problem is that TheBar 26.22 seems to be compiled with SDK that was having a wrong name of class. This wrong name was fixed in 2011, so the SDK had to be earlier than 2011.

I made an edit of TheBar.mpc to fix the name. Please check this version:

https://axrt.org/development/TheBar.mcp-edited.zip
Edited by deadwood on 14-01-2024 13:23, 4 months ago
Posted 4 months ago
OK deadwood, I continue to test all third-party software, at the moment they all work fine with P2

There is a small correction to an old problem in your Builds!

In the Development folder there is an Icon called "DevEnv", which from Tooltypes runs the command S:DeveloperShell-Startup.

DeveloperShell-Startup has this command inside: Developer:bin/sh

Developer does not exist on AROS x86 (it exists on AROS 68k)
Posted 4 months ago
OK TheBar.mpc v26.22 corrected now works fine, even IconEditor now works (required TheBar.mpc updated)
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 4 months ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

@AMIGASYSTEM

DeveloperShell-Startup has this command inside: Developer:bin/sh

Developer does not exist on AROS x86 (it exists on AROS 68k)

Thanks for reporing. I will correct that.
Posted 4 months ago
Another small problem that only affects VMware (not tested with other VMs) on a real PC the problem does not exist.

Basically, if on VMware you forget to add a Floppy Drive, real or virtual, if you try to run "Dopus4" or the "Trackdisk" application, VMware crashes.

On Dopus4 I solved this with a hexadecimal editor deleting the trackdisk.device, so that it is not searched, I don't know if I did it right, but it works.
Posted 4 months ago

deadwood wrote:

With regards to known issues below, please let me know if Atheros driver is working correctly now.

Atheros driver has always worked well on Acer One z5, this new version posted by you now works even better, now Atheros driver also works well on Samsung R730 Laptop "Atheros AR9285".
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 4 months ago
Ok, glad to hear that.
Posted 4 months ago
With AROS One + D02, DualBoot installation AROS One-Win7 64Bit on Samsung R730 Laptop successfully.
Everything seems to work fine, too bad the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS/GT Video Card (on Acer Aspire 5920) is not supported
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 4 months ago
This model of GeForce should be supported. Was it working with previous release?
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 4 months ago
Some good new! I was able to reach the final base for the release. This means unless there is some breaking regression, the following update should just be patches and we are closed to official release:

https://axrt.org/development/AROS-20220318-D05-pc-i386-boot-iso.zip

Please start hardware and compatibility testing and report regressions.

Changes (under -------------- are changes since D02)

AROS ABIv0 20220318-D05 changes:

KNOWN ISSUES:
 C++ exceptions are not handled correctly (DOSBox exit crash)
 Mouse pointer not visible when booting from Live pen drive and USB mouse connected at boot
 No devices visible in boot menu
 New OWB cannot change font
 New OWB unable to open webinspector (info button)
 New OWB missing icons in bookmarks window

Functionalities:
 Introduce new C library, synchronized with 64-bit AROS (deadwood)
 Allow linux hosted AROS to work under WSL (Kalamatee)
--------------
 Better default mouse cursor image (JuanDoble07)
 Early Boot Menu made more functional (JuanDoble07)

Updates:
--------------
 AROS build system (deadwood)

Functional fixes:
 Wanderer (bugs: #107) (deadwood)
 fat-handler (bugs: #107) (deadwood)
--------------
 intuition.library (bugs: no auto scroop up screen) (JuanDoble07)
 dos.library (bugs: NOMOUNT partitions are automounted, wrong path copying) (JuanDoble07, Ronnie Beck)
 exec.library (bugs: infinite crash loop) (deadwood)
 dos.library (bugs: #60) (deadwood)
 utility.library (bugs: #63) (deadwood)

Stability fixes:
 muimaster.library (deadwood)
--------------
 debug-handler (deadwood)

64-bit/68k/ARM support:

Note: you need to add /Libs/gadtools.library to Kickstart in grub.cfg for new Early Boot Menu to work.
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 4 months ago
many thanks
Posted 4 months ago
On D05 Libs/gadtools.library is already present in the new grub.cfg, so we don't have to add anything".

On D05 in the folder Local/Catalog there is always the duplicate of "Catalonia" there are "Catalan" and "Catalonian", practically it is the same state, Catalonia (Spanish autonomous community)
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 4 months ago
Sorry, I meant that if you have custome grub.cfg files that you don't overwrite then "you need to add gadtools"
Posted 4 months ago
OK, I had guessed that, I usually overwrite everything from the new Builds just in case.

Regarding "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS" on my Acer Aspire 5920, it worked until Build "Jul 02 2023". but only in VESA mode, in Native mode it never worked.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 4 months ago
Ah, ok, now I remember about your Acer Aspire problems.
pixiepixieMember
Posted 4 months ago
I am not seeing any content of this thread
Posted 4 months ago
@deadwood

D5 seems to have no problems. I installed AROS One + D5 on WMware, on the Pendrive, and then with the Pendrive I installed AROS One + D5 on the PC.

OWB works fine, Fonts can be changed, Youtube videos are seen fine, there is only the problem of intermittent white flashes

Question, Early Boot Menu, how is it activated?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: serk118uk, magorium, deadwood, AMIGASYSTEM, pixie, retrofaza, Amiwell79, miker1264, Gundam
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 3
Members Online 0

Total Members: 228
Newest Member: r-tea
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]