Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Irritating bug of the month - March 2024

Last updated on 1 month ago

Poll: IBOTM - March 2024

#135 (AHCI- only 7.9 GB allocated out of disk) [9/19]47 %
    #125 (You can access a drawer icon even if the directory assigned to it does not exist) [3/19]16 %
    #120 (Incorrect Leave Out and Put away behavior if it involves icons from USB flash drive) [0/19]0 %
    #116 (Wanderer: Allow deleting by pressing Del key) [5/19]26 %
    #105 (DiskInfo showing OFS instead of FAT) [1/19]5 %
    #25 (Shell won't open from icon that leave out) [1/19]5 %
S
StudenteerJunior Member
Posted 1 month ago
Yes, with 20220318, old and new driver are working as expected.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
Ok, good. That's a relief Grin

I should be able to provide one more version of the driver with possibly shortened start up time.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
Here is another version for tests:

https://axrt.org/development/ahci.device-0.9b.i386-aros.zip

*) recognizes hard disks bigger than 8GB
*) improved boot times by more than 50%
*) uses 60 MB of RAM less

Unless problems are found, this will be the "final" version for this IBOTM
S
StudenteerJunior Member
Posted 1 month ago
I have tested this version of your AHCI-driver and found no problems.
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 1 month ago
all this is needed for some systems because from the bios I changed the entry from ata to sata ahci but the dvd does not boot
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
@Amiwell79

What do you mean?
Posted 1 month ago
is SATA support
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
Yes, CDROMs connected to SATA should work. There is code to support them as well as I tested them in VirtualBox. Note however this bug is about wrong disk size reported by ahci.device, so I haven't tested CDROM extensivelly.
Posted 1 month ago
I tried but the cd-rom doesn't work maybe because the achi driver is out of date, I'm not referring to this one you released but the one that is in the latest build
Posted 1 month ago
I can try from a usb key installation with the updated device I'll let you know
Posted 1 month ago
if I load the system from the stick with the new device it boots regularly but hdtoolbox does not detect the HDs
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
Well if no of your devices are detected (neither CDROM nor HDDs) that this is a different problem altogether. Have ahci.device ever worked on this hardware? Can you give me PCI vendor ID and product ID of your hardware's AHCI chipset?
Posted 1 month ago
it seems to me that it does not work achi device
Edited by Amiwell79 on 20-03-2024 11:10, 1 month ago
You do not have access to view attachments
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
@Amiwell79

From PCIToolInfo.txt it looks like your SATA devices are working in IDE mode not in AHCI mode. ahci.device will only recognize drives if SATA is working in AHCI mode.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
@All

The codes are now pushed to the repository which closes this month's IBOTM! See you in a few days for voting for April's IBOTM. This time, there will be a nice surprise...
retrofaza, aha, Studenteer, miker1264
Posted 1 month ago

deadwood wrote:

@deadwood - @Amiwell79

From PCIToolInfo.txt it looks like your SATA devices are working in IDE mode not in AHCI mode. ahci.device will only recognize drives if SATA is working in AHCI mode.

i set the sata achi option in the bios and boot the system from the usb key but it does not detect the hd if i want to do an installation
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
@Amiwell79

All I can say is that according to PCITool your chip is in IDE mode. Class = 0x01 means STORAGE, Subclass = 0x01 means IDE. Also ProductID 0x3a20 resolves to non-AHCI mode in Intel ICH10 documentation.
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 1 month ago
@deadwood

I started a Pendrive with AROS One + the new ahci.device on a PC where Win10 is installed on a 230 GB SSD HD.

HDtoolbox correctly detects the size of the 230 GB Hardisk, but "Wipe Disk" on InstallAROS does not allow to initialize the partition dedicated to AROS, in some cases when you run InstallAROS it crashes the system.

I also tried with the old ahci.device, "Wipe Disk" does not recognize HD SSDs, am I wrong or are HD SSDs not supported yet?
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
@AMIGASYSTEM

Please try using base 20220318-1 system with 0.9b ahci.device. @Studenteer reported earlier in this thread that something in AROS One prevents ahci.device from working.

Also it is possible that there is a 2TB total disk size limit. I seem to recall reading somewhere about it, so if possible try with disk smaller than 2TB.
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 1 month ago
Ok I do some test with 20220318-1 + 0.9b ahci.device, sorry, anyway my SSD Disk is only 230 GB (I misspelled above)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot edit the poll in this discussion thread.
You cannot vote on the poll in this discussion thread.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: deadwood, AMIGASYSTEM, Amiwell79, miker1264, Studenteer, Telematix
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 9
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]