Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

AROS ABIv0 20211128

Last updated on 5 months ago
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 6 months ago
AROS-20211128-DC01-any-i386-contrib:

LunaPaint = Old Version (Miker's version is more up-to-date)
MystiCube = Does not work
DTConvert = Don't convert anything (Miker's version works fine)
FryingPan = GURU
PlayMF = GURU
Regina= How to install on AROS x86?
Regina= arexx_tests do not work, if I use RX as a tool I get a GURU

Fully integrating Contrib takes a lot of time to check every single file. Wouldn't it be more useful to publish updates separately to speed things up!

I have integrated almost all the contrib on AROS one, tomorrow I will check for other problems.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
@AMIGASYSTEM

Thanks for the tests. I understand the integration takes a lot of time - I do some tests on my side before each release as well.

What I will do is that I will publish a separate change log for contrib to give people better visibility at what has changed. With regards to builds, the first build (like this one) as well as the final release will always be "full". In between I will try to provide just changed components where possible to speed things up.

I took and note at Regina problem you reported and will look at it.
Posted 6 months ago
deadwood, as happened in the past "contrib.tar.bz2" if unpacked on Windows with WinRAR or 7zip, generates "strange" corruptions.

For example GCC, if you try to compile the "IconClone source by Miker" 2 times or more, it generates "always different" GURUs see screenshot ! if you try to recompile with the same name the system crashes.

On the other hand, if I unpack "contrib.tar.bz2" on AROS, the GCC "seems" not to generate any GURUs, tried to compile a dozen times without any problems.

In my opinion it's the "TAR" that is not handled well on Windows, I haven't tried it on Linux, someone should try.

I attach 3 Screenshots of GCC and IconClone Source
You do not have access to view attachments
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 6 months ago
I haven't had any corruptions with 7zip
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
It's possible that WinRAR or 7Zip might not be handling tar.gz correctly. Your alternative is to install unix environment for Windows (I believe it's called MInGW?) and then use linux versions of tar. Also if you suspect problem with unpacking, use some soft of checksum program (sha256sum on Linux) to check the checksums of "non-working" GCC and "working" GCC.

Please also note that default start in Shell is way too small to run GCC. The errors you are getting suggest memory corruption which often happens when stack is too small.
Posted 6 months ago
As you know I don't use Linux, I will continue to unpack TAR on native AROS which guarantees me compatibility anyway, I will also try unpacking TAR archives on OS3 (AFA OS) on WinUAE which should provide good compatibility.

Regarding the Shell, the GCC "unpacked on AROS" as said seems to have no Stack problem, I will do more Tests.

Is there a different way on AROS to run GCC besides the Shell?
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
No, gcc is a command-line application. You either needs to run it from AROS Shell or from "sh" (Linux shell that is ported to AROS)
Posted 6 months ago
Sorry deadwood one more question, I have noticed every time a new contrib comes out, the size of the binary files always changes, even though the version is always the same.

I suppose this is motivated by the different version of the compiler.

I ask this because I would like to understand if I have to overwrite/update these binaries even if they have the same version, or nothing changes if I don't update them, thanks.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
Are you asking about any specific binary or binaries in contrib in general?
Posted 6 months ago
Practically almost all of them, as an example you can see in the screenshot some files for comparison (both work fine), same versions but belonging to a different contributor
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
Ok, I understand.

There is no simple answer. First, I think the size change of a few bytes is not something that can indicate change. If the size changes more than 10%, there it can be a sort of an indicator. Secondly, if often happens that a fix is made but a version is not update - so just looking at version numbers will make you miss changes.

One place of reference for you can be my change log that I mentioned in previous post. Then if you have a suspicion that something changed but is not included my the change log, you can check the history. Here for example is history of dopus from contrib:

https://github.com/deadw00d/contrib/commits/master/dopus

Looking at dates of commits and ranges for the release you can confirm whether something has been changed.

In general also keep in mind that there is a rather small number of commits happening in contrib, so don't expect more than a few changed software each release.
Posted 6 months ago
OK thanks for the info, that's what I had thought, at this point it's less time consuming to overwrite everything, what I was worried about is that the different size could include corruption, given the 'dubious' incompatibility of TAR on Windows, to be on the safe side I'll continue to unpack the TAR Archives on AROS.

In any case, even a decimal version change would be important and would facilitate updates by users.
Posted 6 months ago

deadwood wrote:

@deadwood - It's possible that WinRAR or 7Zip might not be handling tar.gz correctly. Your alternative is to install unix environment for Windows (I believe it's called MInGW?) and then use linux versions of tar. Also if you suspect problem with unpacking, use some soft of checksum program (sha256sum on Linux) to check the checksums of "non-working" GCC and "working" GCC.

Please also note that default start in Shell is way too small to run GCC. The errors you are getting suggest memory corruption which often happens when stack is too small.

I didn't quite understand about gcc however the version before this one from dopus5 works the latest one doesn't, i.e. if I open a shell instance from the directory panel
Edited by Amiwell79 on 13-11-2023 18:47, 6 months ago
Posted 6 months ago

Amiwell79 wrote:

I didn't quite understand about gcc however the version before this one from dopus5 works the latest one doesn't, i.e. if I open a shell instance from the directory panel

No the previous version many binaries were compiled 'non-executable', this new one corrected and works well, with some more complex sources the Stack needs to be increased.
Posted 6 months ago
yes I did not compile anything I thought it would work since the instruments are recognised
Posted 6 months ago
With the old version, a parameter had to be added to compile some binaries, now with the new one the problem has been corrected.

What problems have you encountered with the new version?

To translate into English, use deepl.com, which is the absolute best!
Posted 6 months ago
if I install the new tools they are not recognised by the system the old ones are
Posted 6 months ago
I don't understand, what does 'unrecognised' mean?
Posted 6 months ago
from shell but only button from directory panel, use dopus5
Posted 6 months ago
the old development tool works if open shell button from dopus5 panel, the new tool do not works
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: amigamia, deadwood, AMIGASYSTEM, pixie, retrofaza, Amiwell79, G-linx, OlafSch, d0wz
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 8
Members Online 0

Total Members: 228
Newest Member: r-tea
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]