Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Development General

Development General
1734 posts | Last Activity on 06-09-2013 02:56 by magorium
M
magorium 06-09-2013 02:56, 11 years ago
Re: Custom Keyboard Layout
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=69&pid=389#post_389][b]MasterTggtt wrote:[/b][/url] now I just need to to learn how to compile it, I'm going to try using "make" to read that makefile. [/quote] Erm, not that i am someone that knows, but i believe using make on something like that is a bit overkill. In the end you only need to add your compiled table as new keymap. So taking a little peek [url=http://archives.aros-exec.org/index.php?function=showfile&file=driver/input/arosturkishkeyboard.zip]here[/url] shows that it should be possible to compile using [quote]gcc -opc105_tr pc_105.c -nostdlib[/quote] were ofcourse the pc105_tr/pc_105.c needs to be replaced with your own adjusted keymapname/c-file. Glad to see that you were able to make it over to a-e.org as well :)
C
cavemann 05-09-2013 14:53, 11 years ago
A keyboard layout editor would be a fine project and benefit Aros. Hope you have a chance to do it. Good luck.
M
MasterTggtt 05-09-2013 10:34, 11 years ago
Thanks a lot, it seems easy enough to create via C code anyway. Perhaps I could help on a new keyboard layout editor later, now I just need to to learn how to compile it, I'm going to try using "make" to read that makefile. [edit] After a while, I was sent a registration code for aros-exec as well. I'm going to post news there if I succeed.
M
magorium 05-09-2013 00:38, 11 years ago
Hi MasterTggtt, cavemann is right, keymaps are in place but unfortunately when they are not, then indeed things become a bit 'low-level' as it involves redefining some tables with values that match your keyboards. Theoretical it should be possible to create some kind of a keyboard/leymap editor (amiga-os had them as well) to circumvent the use of grabbing a c-compiler. On the other hand, it 'only' involves adjusting some tables. If you would like further instructions on creating/modifying keyboard layout then feel free to ask (although i have to dive into it myself, but there are some others that did the same before us)... Cavemann is also right about the acceptance of certain e-mail addresses (although the one you used to register here should be accepted by aros-exec). Please try cavemann's other suggestion as well. Mostly it's just a browser (and it's cache) that's playing tricks. If you are still having troubles and really want to register on a-e.org then please feel free to send a pm. It's no problem for us (besides being busy) getting in contact with a-e admin to ask questions on your behalf in order to sort things out.
C
cavemann 04-09-2013 14:25, 11 years ago
Welcome to ArosWorld MasterTggtt Here are the maps, if you want to give it a try. [url]http://repo.or.cz/w/AROS.git/tree/HEAD:/workbench/devs/keymaps[/url] Iirc, because of spamming, some e-mail addresses are not allowed at Aros-Exec, you might try another if available. Also you could try another browser, or first delete any cookies received from Aros-exec.
M
MasterTggtt 04-09-2013 08:47, 11 years ago
Hello, I like using a custom keyboard layout while typing long texts. I would like to know if someone is used to creating layouts and can tell how I can create mine, I have browsed http://aros.sourceforge.net/documentation/ already and all I find is low level references about keyboard mapping. Do I need to code in C a new keyboard mapping? Is there a new way? For example, for Windows and Linux I've managed to create the layout without needing to write low level code. (I tried to ask the guys from aros-exec but I cannot register there) Thanks in advance.
C
cavemann 23-04-2013 23:00, 11 years ago
Re: AROS on Intel Smartphones?
Todays crop of coders never played with Commodore or Atari. They like C++, C#, or java... not C (or Pascal). Todays system programmers come from India and China and have never seen an Amiga. Todays game programmers work in teams larger than all the Aros developers together. But I live in Redmond so take this with a grain of salt.
M
magorium 23-04-2013 19:53, 11 years ago
Hi cavemann, Although this view might be right, i think the same about ReactOS ;) The endless stream of games and applications without paying microsoft tax is reason for me to choose AROS :D ok ok ok, maybe not so the endless stream of applications. I also have to correct myself as it seems ReactOS also has support for arm (other support seems to have been abandoned). But looking at things a bit more serious, AROS indeed lack some software to be more competitive. But i don't think this would be a reason for (system)developers to stay away. But alas i have no clue either so maybe you're right, even if i disagree with people that consider AROS as being such as you suggested.
C
cavemann 23-04-2013 13:38, 11 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=61&pid=332#post_332][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] In that regards it is strange to see that a project like ReactOS (which only serves one cpu architecture) having much more developers and interrest. I really wish i would know what's the solution for that.[/quote] The allure of ReactOS is an endless stream of games and applications without paying the Microsoft tax. I guess those developers would consider AROS a mysterious quirky and primitive retro framework with an obsolete software base.
M
magorium 23-04-2013 08:35, 11 years ago
I really wish it would be true trans, and i was thinking more or less the same. Unfortunately practise shows otherwise :( AROS supports (native) 68k, x86 (32 and 64 bit), arm and powerpc processors already. AROS also supports Windows, Linux, Darwin, Android, Windows and hardware like the SAM. The most recent contribution is the attempt to (native) port AROS to the Raspberry Pi (current hurdle is porting our USB-stack). So, in short all the pieces of the puzzle are already there, yet no more developers seem to join in, while we could desperately need it. As a (negative?) side-effect all that architectures need to be supported and maintained as well, giving current developers practically less time to work on improvements (or as practice shows, leaves the current support for some architectures a bit behind once in a while) In that regards it is strange to see that a project like ReactOS (which only serves one cpu architecture) having much more developers and interrest. I really wish i would know what's the solution for that.
trans
trans 21-04-2013 11:24, 11 years ago
At this point in time I wish more developers would choose the second. I think platform support is more important when there are too few users. Having platform options would increase the popularity of AROS in general which would lead to more developers joining in.
M
magorium 17-04-2013 11:57, 11 years ago
Hi trans, Since AROS already has hosted version of Andoid, and given the fact that aros has support for intel architecture anyways, my _guess_ would be that it is not too hard to do. I think the problem lies more in finding someone who can invest time to be able to come up with a working solution. Ofcourse making it run native would require more investigation and writing supported drivers. Because of the diversity in phone-manufacturers and their individual choice of used (expanding) hardware we might not see something like a native port happening anytime fast. AROS really could use more skilled developers to be able to pull such things off. Right now the focus of current developers lies in totally different field, like trying to move AROS OS itself forward instead of widening the hardware support. It is like the developer from FS-UAE mentions. [i]"I have a choice, making more/better features in the emulator itself and expanding it _or_ spend my time on supporting more hardware. As developer i choose the first"[/i] And that's exactly what current AROS development is doing :) Ofcourse things might change overnight :D
trans
trans 16-04-2013 11:56, 11 years ago
Intel smartphones are starting to come to market. Here's Intel's page on it: [url]http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/smartphones/smartphones.html[/url] How hard would it be to port AROS to these?
rebraist
rebraist 08-03-2013 19:15, 11 years ago
Re: Programming language
I've been grown with bread and pascal... but it's at least twenty years i don't write something like program sumtwonumbers (input/output)... I'm not a professional programmer but I love tinkering wih C. In these days i'm starting to go deeper to the dark side (C++), i'm being fashinated by some expanding possibilities plain C has not. I appreciate a lot C# (the proof you can lift the world without using muscles) and i clearly hate java and objective C...
Responded in Programming language
S
saimon69 15-01-2013 21:53, 11 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=43&pid=200#post_200][b]trans wrote:[/b][/url] I develop Ruby on Linux. I may eventually give a whirl on AROS once most of my current projects are polished-off. After that I've been thinking about creating my own "2nd Gen" Forth language.[/quote] Dave Webster (MisterDave) ported Ruby to AROS and started to work in a binding with MUI called Zuby; try to get in touch with him if he wants/needs any help;
S
SamuraiCrow 12-01-2013 16:51, 11 years ago
Hi Magorium, I think the problem stems from the fact that the PortablE standard library uses 24-bit color plus a transparency mask for its color support. Alpha-blending is used only to implement the transparency mask in a way that graphics cards can use efficiently. I don't know why ChrisH chose that standard as his format but I can only suspect that OS 3 doesn't support alpha-blending fully.
M
magorium 12-01-2013 13:06, 11 years ago
Hi Sam, Nice to hear from you again :) PortablE is very nice, so you are still tinkering with it ? Is that alpha-blending support an issue from the portablE libs or is it the OS-libraries that causes this ?
S
SamuraiCrow 10-01-2013 19:32, 11 years ago
I've been using PortablE to try to make a paint and animation program but the lack of alpha-blending support in the standard cross-platform libraries is holding me up for now.
M
magorium 08-01-2013 16:32, 11 years ago
@trans: Ruby and Forth. wow. Impressed, and imo more exotic then the freepascal i use. Was the pforth and ruby entries from the archives by any chance done by you ? @serk118uk: Seriously ? Are you that adventurous ? Welcome aboard then B) And don't hesitate to ask if you're stuck or something. It can be a hard learning curve when coming from c if you have no xp. Forget about includes, linker libs and all that stuff :D
serk118uk
serk118uk 06-01-2013 12:33, 11 years ago
i am learning Freepascal..:D
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

Icon Toolsby miker1264 172 posts
Tiny Aros DistrĂ²by Amiwell79 119 posts
Aros Software Promotionby Amiwell79 70 posts
AROS ABIv0 20220318-1 Supportby deadwood 66 posts
Bars&Pipes 1.0 is Availableby Amiwell79 53 posts
Custom Keyboard Layoutby MasterTggtt 12 posts
Buttons not shownby OlafSch 9 posts
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 1
Members Online 0

Total Members: 227
Newest Member: wiz
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]