Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Prototype of AROS ABIv0 emulator for 64-bit AROS

Last updated on 1 month ago
O
OlafSchMember
Posted 2 months ago
if you have problems to find out what application expects he could certainly answer that
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Hi All,

Another update on the prototype and this some thing to play with!

1) Test a recent program written in C using new C library (Calculator) [DONE]
2) Test an old, 3rd party program written in C using old C library (ZuneARC) [DONE]
3) Test program written in Hollywood (HFinder) [DONE]
4) Test program written in Pascal (MCAmiga) [DONE]
5) Test emulator under native AROS x86_64 and confirm it can work with native kernel [DONE]
6) Test emulator under AxRuntime and confirm ABIv0 programs can be run directly on Linux/Windows

As you can see, steps 4 and 5 are now done.

Below you can find video showing current state of emulator as well as a demo ISO if you are interested in trying it out. Please be sure to read the README present on the ISO. Please keep in mind that this is still prototype stage - at this point there will be many things broken and not working. You can post results of you tests in this thread, but resolution of any reported problems will happen only once I start developing a more stable version (which will not be this year).

https://axrt.org/development/emulator-prototype-20240604-aros-pc-x86_64.iso.zip

ntromans, retrofaza, mmartinka, G-linx
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
I'll try it now, maybe even create my own version of AROS One, so I can test all the software included!
Posted 2 months ago
On VMware I installed emulator-prototype-20240604 with the graphics of AROS One, then did some tests with some Applications like ZuneARC, ZuneCalc and ZuneHexEditor, on the latter you can't open the request file, aoa is the Filemanager of My Commander.

I also tried running Dopus4 but it requests the asyncio.library, the 32Bit version now of course cannot recognise it.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Thanks for the tests. Like
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
And here comes the final update:

1) Test a recent program written in C using new C library (Calculator) [DONE]
2) Test an old, 3rd party program written in C using old C library (ZuneARC) [DONE]
3) Test program written in Hollywood (HFinder) [DONE]
4) Test program written in Pascal (MCAmiga) [DONE]
5) Test emulator under native AROS x86_64 and confirm it can work with native kernel [DONE]
6) Test emulator under AxRuntime and confirm ABIv0 programs can be run directly on Linux/Windows [DONE]

As you can see on the screen shot, ABIv0 program is running on the emulator which is running on AxRuntime making the ABIv0 program run directly on Linux (and using WSL also on Windows).

To summarize the prototype:

I believe it will be feasible to develop the emulator with limited cost, although higher than I initially expected. The emulation interface is quite narrow (exec, dos, graphics, cybergraphics, intuition) while re-using other 32-bit libraries, which is a good thing from point of view of how much it will cost to develop the emulator. Eventually I believe the decision whether to port & re-compile the application to 64-bit or to upgrade the emulator to support it will have to be made case-by-case looking simply at what is less costly (=time consuming). The role of the emulator is to form a temporary bridge to allow the migration. With time emulator should be used less and less with more and more applications being native 64-bit.
retrofaza, ntromans, Argo, pixie, mmartinka, G-linx
You do not have access to view attachments
Posted 2 months ago
Great work as always!
G
G-linxNewbie
Posted 1 month ago
Awesome Deadwood! Smile
..Is the final prototype download link the same as in post #62?
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 1 month ago
Hi G-linx,

There were only minor changes in final prototype version so you can consider version from #62 as up to date.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: magorium, aha, deadwood, AMIGASYSTEM, pixie, Amiwell79, G-linx, miker1264, OlafSch, mattson62
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 8
Members Online 1
retrofaza

Total Members: 243
Newest Member: fred410
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]