Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Maintainer of https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_Complete_System_HCL?

Last updated on 6 months ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
Hi,

As the topic suggests, I'm looking how to contact the person administering the AROS hardware list. If you know how to contact him/her let me know.
J
Jeff1138Junior Member
Posted 6 months ago
Hi,

Afaik no-one maintains the site, anyone can add or delete what they like, whenever.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Using_Wikibooks/Setting_Up_A_User_Account

Regards
Jeff
Edited by amigamia on 04-11-2023 16:31, 6 months ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
@Jeff1138

Thanks for replying. Smile

I understand this is a open wiki, but looking at the history most of edits are done by you, so I would still like to get your input for an idea that I have:

Starting with next AROS release I would like to publish a list of recommended hardware. Recommended hardware is simply hardware that was used during tests by me or other people and is guaranteed to work. Moreover effort will be made with each new release to make sure this hardware is still supported. Initially I wanted to add this list to the ISO README file, but I think the wiki page I linked to is a better place. What's your take on this?
J
Jeff1138Junior Member
Posted 6 months ago
Hi,

Thanks, not a problem, I do not have any objections. The good point of the wiki in my mind is that it can continue even if other sites are not around (well as long as wiki#? exists), rather like AROS in the Amiga world.

There is a small section of laptop recommends at the top of the laptop section (would it be like that?)
I know the rest of that section could come over a bit too negative, so if anyone wants to rewrite that they can

With desktops, it becomes easier to swap items in/out so becomes harder to recommend.

Regards
Jeff
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
Thanks for pointing to the section in laptop group. I'm thinking about something similar, but with more precise model selection for complete systems. For "desktops", I'm only thinking about selecting motherboard.

Generally I find this page is great for answering this question: I have hardware ****. Will it work with AROS? What I'm thinking with recommended hardware section is answering this question: I don't want to experiment. Give a choice of hardware that will work today.

Size-wise, I'm thinking about at 1-5 motherboards and 1-10 complete systems (laptops or desktops). It all depends on what hardware people can test with each release and confirm the compatibility.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
@Jeff1138

Can you explain the color-coding on the list? I guess green means "confirmed working" and red means confirmed "not working". What does yellow mean? And what about "default" gray background. There are for examples entries in default color for realtek 8139 and sis900 for which AROS has drivers.

BTW thanks for grouping the hardware in years ranges - this makes lookup so much easier!
J
Jeff1138Junior Member
Posted 6 months ago
Hello,

That's right, I inherited the scheme from the previous people editing it. Yellow is a may work, ie Vesa where you get 2d non accelerated. Some people see fully 2d and 3d as working (ie green). Gray is for hardware not existing usually. The white gaps are where some tests were not completed and need to update (after this time span unlikely though).

It also helps understand what era is right for AROS support and what new hardware support may come along.
This can all change if people want it to have a different layout
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 6 months ago
Thanks Jeff1138, for the colours you could add "clearly visible in bold" the meaning of each colour, there are many users who may have difficulty guessing the meanings.

Thanks also for adding compatibility with AROS One Smile
J
Jeff1138Junior Member
Posted 6 months ago
Hello,

I am grateful that someone started a USb AROS distro,

like this https://en.wikibo...CL#Laptops
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 6 months ago
Thanks for explanation and adding color coding Smile
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: deadwood, AMIGASYSTEM, Jeff1138
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 8
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]