Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Are there plans of porting WINE for Icaros?

Last updated on 9 years ago
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
True BSzili,

If not mistaken then staf explains that in his first reaction in that thread (e.g. mentioning mmu, virtual address space, paging, etc,) explaining the interaction between these.

It's perhaps not the best answer to xbox' question, but at least explains a few things as well as the thread explaining how AROS (also classic amigaOS) currently does not support these technologies.
BSziliBSziliSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
It's only tangentially related to memory protection. What you really need are things like virtual address space for each process, a specific memory layout for kernel and userspace, dynamic linking, etc.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
:-)

Sorry, as i didn't wanted to be rude with the short answers.

It might be beneficial to go over this thread as it gives answers to a few (related) topics.

Since AROS (Icaros is a distribution of AROS, however rude it might sound icaros in itself is nothing in relation to AROS development) is to maintain 68k compatibility that poses a problem. That's why i said at least not for AROS (as we know it).
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago

magorium wrote:

OH! WINE is relying on Linux Kernal?

As said by BSzili: Not really... ;)

So making it rely on say icaros kernal is next to impossible?

No.

Ohh now I understand. It needs virtual memory.

Amongst others, yes.

Will icaros support virtual memory?

No.

If implementing virtual memory would then porting WINE be feasible?

Yes.

Combining those answers unfortunately renders a circle which can't be solved. At least not for AROS.

* Falls to the ground laughing so hard * OK, ok * takes a deep breath * ok...phew....ok! * Performs a serious face * What is the reason behind not supporting virtual memory in icaros? I am curious.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago

OH! WINE is relying on Linux Kernal?

As said by BSzili: Not really... ;)

So making it rely on say icaros kernal is next to impossible?

No.

Ohh now I understand. It needs virtual memory.

Amongst others, yes.

Will icaros support virtual memory?

No.

If implementing virtual memory would then porting WINE be feasible?

Yes.

Combining those answers unfortunately renders a circle which can't be solved. At least not for AROS.
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago

BSzili wrote:

Not really, the main issues are in the post you've just quoted.

OH! WINE is relying on Linux Kernal? So making it rely on say icaros kernal is next to impossible?

Ohh now I understand. It needs virtual memory. Will icaros support virtual memory? If implementing virtual memory would then porting WINE be feasible?
BSziliBSziliSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Not really, the main issues are in the post you've just quoted.
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago

BSzili wrote:

I've looked at the sources of wine once, but without virtual memory and having a specific address space layout it would be very difficult if not impossible to port it. The latter is the reason why it hasn't got ported to Haiku either.
\

Why? Is it relying on linux kernal?
BSziliBSziliSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
I've looked at the sources of wine once, but without virtual memory and having a specific address space layout it would be very difficult if not impossible to port it. The latter is the reason why it hasn't got ported to Haiku either.
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
I don't know if Wine is 'impossible'. Some of the technical members could answer that question. But considering the small number of devs working on AROS at this time, a port of Wine seems 'improbable' before Icaros 10.0 ;)

You might give the AEROS distro a look. AEROS is a hybrid of AROS and Linux. I have not tried AEROS, but there are supposed to be many Linux apps that work... including Wine :)
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
I am wondering since icaros is x86 based and WINE is not an emulator and it runs on linux and it is open source, are there any plans of porting WINE to icaros?

Is it impossible or super hard to port WINE to icaros?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, magorium, BSzili, xboxown
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 4
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]