Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Icaros 2.0 is too buggy for my taste

Last updated on 9 years ago
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
Icaros 2.0 is simply unusable, too buggy, non functional operating system. I compare icaros 2.0 with windows ME. One day it works the other day it fails. I am forced everytime to format and format install and install and then format and format..one second it works other second it fails. But either way no internet connection what so ever. Yesterday was my final draw in attempts to installing it and even the files in the setup installation is corrupted and it corrupts the sectors in my HD. And the draw was fulfilled...it broke again so I formatted my laptop for the final time and installed icaros 1.5.2 back again and now my system runs well. I am even posting this here post using icaros 1.5.2 without any problem.

I decided to skip version 20 all together and wait for a new version of icaros and see the review behind before considering doing an upgrade. While icaros 1.5.2 is widows 98 SE in comparison you will get the blue screen of death....but at least it is more stable than icaros 2.0 which is compared to Windows ME.
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
It has been well over a year since Icaros was updated. There are many new features that only a few testers have tried. I'm sure there is a long list of things that need to be fixed.

So I have a spare computer with the old AROS, that I use for some things too.

Icaros 2.0 works okay on one of my computers, and not good on another. I hope that the next version will catch the bugs that were missed. But also, I hope soon AROS will be as compatible as the old version was (especially the drive accessing errors).
Edited by cavemann on 14-11-2014 18:26, 9 years ago
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Hi xboxown,

I'm truly sorry that the new icaros release is giving you so much grieve.

Since you're not the only one having issues, my schedule is a bit busy so i kinda lost track of your endeavors. So please do not feel offended for pointing you towards this post from ncafferkey in relation to HD errors. They might be helpful, or perhaps you already tried and failed for you.

Thank you very much for having put up for so long, trying and the reports you've made so far. Feedback is really important when a new version is being released and now at least the developers are aware that problems (still) exists.

It's funny you mentioning windows ME. MS needed millions of dollars and hundreds (if not thousands) of employees to screw that up while out resourceful AROS developers manage to do the same with far less people and money ;)

Just kidding of course.

But fact is that one of the major bottlenecks is that developers only have a handful of systems to test on, as cavemann so excellently pointed out. There's simply no easy way to check changes/improvements against each and every available hardware configuration that is out there. And while caveman mentioned well over a year, it's actually been 18 months plus worth of development and/or backports that is now introduced with new icaros release.

Also excellently pointed out by cavemann is having a backup machine on which to run older icaros. I myself never switch directly when a new release of any AROS distro arrives. That's an unfortunate lesson i learned from past.

So, there nothing wrong with sticking to something more familiar and knowing to work for your specific hardware.

As most people would have given up on AROS completely by now, i applaud you for your persistency and even considering 'simply' downgrading to be able to keep playing with AROS.

fwiw: Eventually things seem to find a way to being sorted out, be it sooner or later. So please keep on enjoying and keep an eye on new updates that might fix your issues. Paolone is already working on a first update to address a couple of issues mentioned.
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago

magorium wrote:

Hi xboxown,

I'm truly sorry that the new icaros release is giving you so much grieve.

Since you're not the only one having issues, my schedule is a bit busy so i kinda lost track of your endeavors. So please do not feel offended for pointing you towards this post from ncafferkey in relation to HD errors. They might be helpful, or perhaps you already tried and failed for you.

Thank you very much for having put up for so long, trying and the reports you've made so far. Feedback is really important when a new version is being released and now at least the developers are aware that problems (still) exists.

It's funny you mentioning windows ME. MS needed millions of dollars and hundreds (if not thousands) of employees to screw that up while out resourceful AROS developers manage to do the same with far less people and money ;)

Just kidding of course.

But fact is that one of the major bottlenecks is that developers only have a handful of systems to test on, as cavemann so excellently pointed out. There's simply no easy way to check changes/improvements against each and every available hardware configuration that is out there. And while caveman mentioned well over a year, it's actually been 18 months plus worth of development and/or backports that is now introduced with new icaros release.

Also excellently pointed out by cavemann is having a backup machine on which to run older icaros. I myself never switch directly when a new release of any AROS distro arrives. That's an unfortunate lesson i learned from past.

So, there nothing wrong with sticking to something more familiar and knowing to work for your specific hardware.

As most people would have given up on AROS completely by now, i applaud you for your persistency and even considering 'simply' downgrading to be able to keep playing with AROS.

fwiw: Eventually things seem to find a way to being sorted out, be it sooner or later. So please keep on enjoying and keep an eye on new updates that might fix your issues. Paolone is already working on a first update to address a couple of issues mentioned.

Thank you so much for the positive reply. I purchased an entire laptop just to run ICAROS didn't I? In fact I already have a very good laptop with 17" monitor running windows 8...technically speaking I did not need another laptop...but I bought it still to run ICAROS on real machine instead of virtual software. So yes, I bought it...I am going to use it. If it means icaros 1.5.2 until a new version of icaros 2.0 come out then so be it.

But even if icaros 2.0.1 comes out or whatever version I will not use it until I get a confirmation from the entire community 1st that it is a usable and worth upgrading from 1.5.1. I am not repeating the same mistake twice. However, there is one feature I really am dying for icaros 2.0.0 and above.

Ability to close halted program by press ctrl-alt-del and end tasking frozen program. Ability to close window games my pressing alt-f4 and ability to switch between windows using alt-tab.

That makes using icaros even way more enjoyable.
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago

Ability to close halted program by press ctrl-alt-del and end tasking frozen program. Ability to close window games my pressing alt-f4 and ability to switch between windows using alt-tab.

Aros reboots with Ctrl-alt-del, so that combination has already been assigned. There is also Ctrl-Aros-Aros (hehe) for a warm reboot which is faster (works on some machines).

Wanderer directory windows and some games can be closed the the escape key. To cycle windows you can use the Alt-tab combination that the FKey commodity already uses. You can also cycle screens with FKey, very handy. If it's not already setup, it's easy to configure yourself.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago

Thank you so much for the positive reply. I purchased an entire laptop just to run ICAROS didn't I?

You did indeed. The more reason for us to be a bit embarrassed for things not working correctly on the first new release. Albeit i was only beta-tester...

In fact I already have a very good laptop with 17" monitor running windows 8...technically speaking I did not need another laptop...but I bought it still to run ICAROS on real machine instead of virtual software. So yes, I bought it...I am going to use it. If it means icaros 1.5.2 until a new version of icaros 2.0 come out then so be it.

In that case, i wish you the best of experience with that.

But even if icaros 2.0.1 comes out or whatever version I will not use it until I get a confirmation from the entire community 1st that it is a usable and worth upgrading from 1.5.1. I am not repeating the same mistake twice.

Hehe... just as long as you realize that when everbody chose to do so, we would have a problem with all people waiting for others to be the first sheep ;)

However, there is one feature I really am dying for icaros 2.0.0 and above.

Ability to close halted program by press ctrl-alt-del and end tasking frozen program.

As expressed by cavemann, that key combination was already taken.

Hopefully, you are aware that you can kill a task with Scout.

Theoretically speaking, if there would be commodity for that then you could freely assign the key-combination. But... killing a task is not really recommended as it renders the AROS system instable, it would be best to do a reset. Other than that i understand that request :)

Ability to close window games my pressing alt-f4

That is sooo windows that i won't even consider it ;-p

Some games however are ported and use exactly that key-combination to close the window. Under AROS it is custom to use the Right-AROS-K key to kill a task/window or the escape key as cavemann expressed.

and ability to switch between windows using alt-tab.

Kalamatee got an amazing alt-tabber which shows a popup like windows which shows the contents of the window (or was it screen, i can;t seem to remember exactly) to switch with alt-tab. Unfortunately it's abiv1 only, and am even not sure it was released into public.

There are more features that AROS could use. They usually come to mind using AROS for a longer period of time. If something pops up then please do not hesitate to mention them, or make a wish-list.

F.e. i personally would love to see the tools-menu implemented/supported, e.g. for a feature we used to know as toolsdaemon on classic.

Once in a while an idea is picked-up and implemented. But if you would do so publicly, please try to avoid too much windowzz alike features as that sometimes seems to fire-up some heated discussions.

Even though using older icaros for now, please enjoy !
P
paoloneDistro Maintainer
Posted 9 years ago

xboxown wrote:

Icaros 2.0 is simply unusable, too buggy, non functional operating system. I compare icaros 2.0 with windows ME. One day it works the other day it fails. I am forced everytime to format and format install and install and then format and format..one second it works other second it fails. But either way no internet connection what so ever. Yesterday was my final draw in attempts to installing it and even the files in the setup installation is corrupted and it corrupts the sectors in my HD. And the draw was fulfilled...it broke again so I formatted my laptop for the final time and installed icaros 1.5.2 back again and now my system runs well. I am even posting this here post using icaros 1.5.2 without any problem.

Haven't you thought your installation media is simply faulty? Since release 2.0 gave you all those issue, please wait for 2.0.1 installation file and download the whole ISO again, then burn it to a DVD or create a installation pendrive following the user manual. If you're burning to a DVD, please use a blank (new) optical media and write it a 1x or 2x max speed. This will dramatically reduce chances to burn a faulty installation media.

I also hope you didn't try to install Icaros 2.0 over a 1.5 installation WITHOUT formatting and WITHOUT cleaning the drive, since it would easily lead to filesystem corruption in no time. The correct update path is 1) backup personal data, 2) clean drive from current AROS partitions, 3) re-do AROS partition and install. Using old apps with new system files is also heavily discouraged, too.
P
paoloneDistro Maintainer
Posted 9 years ago

However, there is one feature I really am dying for icaros 2.0.0 and above.

All features you're requiring are already available in Icaros 2.0. Please read Icaros documentation for the correct key sequences, though.

lAros + Esc -> should open Scout in a private screen. Just select the offending task and remove it.
Esc -> generally closes the current program
Alt+Tab -> move to next window
lAros + Tab -> mote to next screen
BSziliBSziliSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago

paolone wrote:

Haven't you thought your installation media is simply faulty? Since release 2.0 gave you all those issue, please wait for 2.0.1 installation file and download the whole ISO again, then burn it to a DVD or create a installation pendrive following the user manual. If you're burning to a DVD, please use a blank (new) optical media and write it a 1x or 2x max speed. This will dramatically reduce chances to burn a faulty installation media.

I also hope you didn't try to install Icaros 2.0 over a 1.5 installation WITHOUT formatting and WITHOUT cleaning the drive, since it would easily lead to filesystem corruption in no time. The correct update path is 1) backup personal data, 2) clean drive from current AROS partitions, 3) re-do AROS partition and install. Using old apps with new system files is also heavily discouraged, too.

I doubt his problems have anything to do with the installation media. This is file system corruption, could be caused by anything in the I/O chain. I remember having similar problems when the kernel was upgraded the first time.
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
I am not using icaros 2.0 ever. To me right now icaros 2.0 does not exist (in my mind). I am sticking with 1.5.x and till now I enjoy it without any problems or issues. I will only install 2.0.1 when I get a confirmation from the majority of the community it is OK to use it, there is no problem.

I am terrified by the amount of time formatting, installing, formatting that I will damage the hard drive to get to install icaros 2.0 to work and it still didn't work. Right now, everything is stable and I am sticking with the version I have.
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Formating a drive does not cause any wear to the drive, unless it should be replaced anyway. So I never worry about damaging a drive when I format it. Just be certain not to format an important partition by mistake ;)

Many of the devs run AROS hosted on another platform. So it's not a simple matter for them to fix complications on native hardware. But hopefully they will get to the bottom of these problems soon.

Also, as you may have already discovered, the software for AROS is not always backwards compatible. Many updates will only work with newer AROS versions. As time goes on, fewer people use the older distros.

Nice to hear that you have got things running well again :)
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago
..And if you get a chance, please take some pictures of your running setup and share with us. You can upload them under: Navigation menu> Submit Photo. Be sure to change the album to be: "User Images" :)
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago

amigamia wrote:

..And if you get a chance, please take some pictures of your running setup and share with us. You can upload them under: Navigation menu> Submit Photo. Be sure to change the album to be: "User Images" :)

You mean you want me to send you screenshot of my current icaro setup as it is running now?
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago

xboxown wrote:

amigamia wrote:

You mean you want me to send you screenshot of my current icaro setup as it is running now?

That's correct :)
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
Done!
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago
Thanks for sharing. You can upload screenshots of errors and/or problems so other members can help you troubleshoot better. An image can say more than words sometimes.
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago

amigamia wrote:

Thanks for sharing. You can upload screenshots of errors and/or problems so other members can help you troubleshoot better. An image can say more than words sometimes.

* rubs the back of his head * Errors? What errors? :)
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago
Well you know..:P For when you install Icaros 2.0 B)
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago

amigamia wrote:

AH! YES! That! * looks at icaros 2.0 with disdain * :o
BSziliBSziliSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago

amigamia wrote:

Don't push your luck :D
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, amigamia, magorium, BSzili, xboxown, paolone
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 4
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]