Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

New and Updated Datatypes

Last updated on 5 months ago
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 5 months ago

miker1264 wrote:

@miker1264

Where are the XBM & XPM datatypes located?

Where can I find them so I can verify that they both have save functions?

XBM & XPM Datatypes are aros-archive

http://archives.a...type/image

With Multiview v1.8 you cannot save XBM & XPM images

With Multiview v1.7 you can only save XBM images

With Multiview v1.8 you can only save PPM images (Save and Save As)
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
AMIGASYSTEM

Whether or not you can save images with MultiView 1.7 or MultiView 1.8 depends on the datatypes you have on your system. To say a datatype works with one version but not the other doesn't seem right.

As I suspected XBM and XPM are X Windows datatypes but no source code is provided.

So if you are interested you could install a nice Hex Editor and a code editor with syntax highlighting. For Windows 10 I use HxD Hex Editor. For code editing I use Visual Studio Code or ActiPro Code Writer. You already have the Picture Datatype Creation Package.

Now you just need a good pair of reading glasses to do the online research. Start writing you XBM and XPM datatypes by finding the file format documentation for each file type.

Look at some existing datatypes to see how to write the load and save functions. Look at PNM datatype. It's easier to understand. BMP is a little complicated. Happy coding! Pfft
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 5 months ago
OK thanks for the info, but at the moment it is not important to save the 'XBM' format, all other graphic formats can be saved.

What is important is that AROS recognises the most commonly used graphic formats on the web and has a tool to display them correctly.

Today I have finished all the Def Icons, created the def_XBM, def_XPM, def_PPM, def_TIF_,def_WEBP, def_SVG, AROS One now automatically recognises and displays most of the graphic formats found on the Web, the supported formats can be seen in the screenshot.

www.arosworld.org/infusions/forum/attachments/def_icons.jpg
AMIGASYSTEM attached the following image:
def_icons.jpg
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
Thanks for your work with the file descriptors. That is a good starting point. I have the datatype descriptor for my TIFF datatype . I just need to collect the files to compile and post them. I suspect TIFF datatype may work on AROS x86. Also I don't see HEIC in the list. Do we have it?

Here's some programming advice...

If the programs or features you are looking for aren't available and if no one is available to do the work then sometimes it's easier and faster to do it yourself. Seriously, if you have determined will to do it, you can succeed.

In the AROS programming area especially these things could take a long time since not many people are involved in development.

Here is a text file about AROS datatypes and it also describes my journey in C programming. As far as c programming just start writing and compiling and testing. It won't always work but sometimes it does! That's when it gets more interesting, when everything works.

As far as programming goes don't be afraid to fail. At times my failures are spectacular. Sometimes I crash AROS so hard there is no warning it just restarts. I wonder if the measure of a good programmer is how badly I can crash the operating system?
Edited by miker1264 on 08-12-2023 14:57, 5 months ago
miker1264 attached the following file:
aros_picture_datatypes_updates.zip [4.99kB / 79 Downloads]
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: AMIGASYSTEM, Amiwell79, miker1264
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 7
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]