Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

New and Updated Datatypes

Last updated on 5 months ago
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
For those who are interested in updated datatypes this is the topic for that.

The new and updated datatypes are mostly picture datatypes.

There are currently a couple of options to compile datatypes. Because they are small libraries they can't simply be compiled at the command line like some other small programs.

But they can be compiled in a shell using the Picture Datatype Creation Tool which is available online. The second method is to use the Build System to compile datatypes.

For those new to programming and datatypes I will put together a text file and sample project to get you started. I will probably use BMP datatype for a sample since I wrote LoadBMP & Save BMP for that datatype. Smile

It is easy to understand and easy to compile. At first I used Yannick's datatype compiler tool.

http://archives.a...pe/utility
Edited by miker1264 on 04-12-2023 12:04, 5 months ago
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 5 months ago
Many Thanks MIker
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
AMIGASYSTEM

All the planned updates for picture datatypes have been completed except for Targa & PCX.

I need to finish writing Targa RLE for run length encoding & PCX datatype needs code cleanup.

TIFF datatype is on hold till I come up with a solution to it not working with MultiView. It may require a complete re-write of the datatype using only native methods to load & save Tiff files.

Converting the Tiff Library to a shared library may be an easier route. As far as I know the Amiga OS4 & Morph OS versions also use Tiff Library. Using Tiff Library functions is easier.

Hmmm....

There seems to be an AROS x86 version of Tiff Library. I will look into using that.
Edited by miker1264 on 04-12-2023 19:34, 5 months ago
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 5 months ago

miker1264 wrote:

@miker1264 - AMIGASYSTEM

All the planned updates for picture datatypes have been completed except for Targa & PCX.

I need to finish writing Targa RLE for run length encoding & PCX datatype needs code cleanup

This you can do at your leisure, on AROS One Targa and existing PCX datatypes work very well with Multiview.

TIFF datatype is on hold till I come up with a solution to it not working with MultiView. It may require a complete re-write of the datatype using only native methods to load & save Tiff files.

Have you tried testing it with 'Loview' or 'PicShow', e.g. 'XBM datatype' and 'XBM datatype' do not work with Multiview, but work fine with 'Loview' or 'PicShow'.

There seems to be an AROS x86 version of Tiff Library. I will look into using that.

I don't think I have this Tiff Library, on which version of AROS One did you see it?

On Aminet there is this Tiff source for OS4: http://aminet.net...ibtiff.lha
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
AMIGASYSTEM

To test the Targa and PCX datatypes you have to first open them in MultiView and select Project - About from the menu. Take note of the Targa & PCX datatype version. Then select Project - Save As. MultiView will save a copy of the file using the current datatype Save function.

If the Targa file and PCX file saves correctly then the save functions are working correctly. 24 bit picture files are the best choice to do testing.

The AROS x86 version of Tiff Library is on the AROS Archives. In Development.
Edited by miker1264 on 05-12-2023 22:40, 5 months ago
Posted 5 months ago
Targa and PCX of the new Builds are very recent (see screenshot), also Multiview allows you to save images in IFF.

If you use LoView you can save Images in IFF, JPG, PNG, BMP (see screenshot), LoView uses Datatypes to display Images.

As already mentioned LoView also shows XPM, and XBM images correctly and can save in the formats described.
Multiview on the other hand shows XPM, and XBM images in Text format !
AMIGASYSTEM attached the following image:
datatypes.jpg version.jpg
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
AMIGASYSTEM

According to the version screenshot those are the original datatypes without save functions.

If you look at the new versions screenshot and picture datatype screenshot I bumped up the versions to match the main version of the current picture datatype which is 41.6. It has DT_Write which I added so it's the current file.

The Targa version is 41.2. PCX version is 41.3.
I can help you to build and update the datatypes.

Typing on smart phone is tedious. It auto corrects nearly everything. And then after typing a lengthy explanation Arosworld dumps what I wrote without posting it. Then I start again!!
Edited by miker1264 on 06-12-2023 12:48, 5 months ago
miker1264 attached the following files:
picdt_tool_targa.zip [15.65kB / 89 Downloads]
miker1264 attached the following image:
picdt_tool.png picture_datatype_version.png targa_pcx_versions.png
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
Trying to find it on AROS Archives is a pain since the search doesn't work for the Picture Datatype Creation Tool so here it is:
miker1264 attached the following file:
picdt_creationpackage_v20i386-aros.zip [250.62kB / 87 Downloads]
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
Here are some instructions for building the datatypes and descriptors.

Targa datatype should support loading and saving 8 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit & 32 bit Targa images. That & RLE compression was the main reason for the current update. The previous version only supported saving the 24 bit Targa images.

For Targa I think the toughest part was writing the 16 bit support & Targa RLE. The Targa run length encoding works at the pixel level rather than at the byte level for PCX. So I had to use memory compare method to compare bytes.

It's easier to write text files than to type on my phone. I'm getting old. LOL

You have probably already used the datatype descriptor tool. That is also in the tools folder.
Edited by miker1264 on 06-12-2023 13:50, 5 months ago
picdt_tool_build_targa.zip [69.73kB / 84 Downloads]
Posted 5 months ago

miker1264 wrote:

@miker1264

According to the version screenshot those are the original datatypes without save functions

With all the new datatypes available in the build, with "Multiview" I can safely save images in IFF

If instead I use 'LoView' with all the new datatypes available in the build, I can save in IFF, JPG, PNG, BMP.

Practically all the datatypes work perfectly, except TIFF which does not exist, then the HTML datatypes which do not support some web pages would have to be improved.

I avoid using my mobile phone on Forums, too inconvenient!
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
AMIGASYSTEM

Did you test the save functions for Targa and PCX datatype by opening the images in MultiView then us Save As from the menu?

Save As IFF will save an ILBM. That won't test the save functions for Targa and PCX datatype.

Tiff datatype will need to be compiled and tested. Until now I only compiled it with the Build System and all testing was done on AROS x86_64. Maybe AROS x86 will perform better.

I will test build and test the latest Targa & PCX. I'll try to build the latest Tiff datatype for x86.
Edited by miker1264 on 06-12-2023 16:23, 5 months ago
Posted 5 months ago

miker1264 wrote:

@miker1264 - AMIGASYSTEM

Did you test the save functions for Targa and PCX datatype by opening the images in MultiView then us Save As from the menu?.

I created a small video where you can see the saves of 'Multiview!' and 'LoView'.
AMIGASYSTEM attached the following file:
test.zip [14.77MB / 93 Downloads]
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
AMIGASYSTEM

Ah. I see the problem.

Thanks for the video.

This is MultiView 1.8 in my screenshot.

According to your earlier screenshot with Targa & PCX versions you are using MultiView 1.7 where Save As has been removed. It's actually quite useful. Maybe that's why I added it back.

You can't Save As if there is no menu item. But Save As IFF does nothing to test saving Targa & PCX. The datatypes have their own save functions.
Edited by miker1264 on 06-12-2023 19:28, 5 months ago
miker1264 attached the following image:
new_multiview_menu.png
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
@amigamia

Is it possible to get the attachments from the old topics from ae.arosworld.org ?

There are some files I need that I uploaded there.
Posted 5 months ago
Ok miker, io aggiorno AROS One con le nuove Build di deadwood e di conseguenza sul Sistema mi ritrovo Multiview v1.7.

Però strano che i con i Datatypes con LoView Save As funziona bene, e si può salvare le immagini in quattro formati diversi !
Posted 5 months ago
on archives there is multiview 1.8
Posted 5 months ago
miker, I have tested your Multiview v1.8 and Save As works fine with all datatypes except XPM.

Your Multiview v1.8 also displays XPM and XBM images correctly
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
AMIGASYSTEM & Amiwell79

Thanks for the information.

I also compiled & did some testing with the newest Targa datatype. I opened the 24 bit RLE compressed Targa file with MultiView 1.8 then chose "Save As" from the Project Menu. It saved a good uncompressed 24 bit Targa file to Ram. Also, I opened an 8 bit Targa file & successfully saved it to Ram. I haven't tested 16 bit or 32 bit.

In the next update (41.3) I will complete the Targa RLE (run length encoding). For the moment all Targa files saved with the new datatype (41.2) will be uncompressed. Note that version 0.2 of Targa datatype doesn't save correctly.

Attached is the MultiView screenshot, the new Targa datatype & new MultiView that Amiwell79 mentioned earlier. More datatype updates soon. Please don't repost the Targa datatype. It's still being revised and tested to confirm functions.

PS - I like the new MultiView icon.
Edited by miker1264 on 07-12-2023 16:04, 5 months ago
targa_12-07-23_x86_1.zip [8.88kB / 83 Downloads]
multiviewi386-aros_12-07-23_1.zip [29.48kB / 92 Downloads]
miker1264 attached the following images:
testing_targa_datatype_sm_1.png
Posted 5 months ago
Many thanks Miker
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 5 months ago
AMIGASYSTEM

Where are the XBM & XPM datatypes located?

Where can I find them so I can verify that they both have save functions?
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: AMIGASYSTEM, Amiwell79, miker1264
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 5
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]