Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Recommended hardware

Last updated on 2 months ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
@amigamia

Thanks, I added you to the list. Do you have a 32-bit or 64-bit CPU in that D520?

As for bootable USB, the fastest way for me is doing it via install from AROS LiveCD via VirtualBox. 30 seconds and it's done.
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 5 months ago
deadwood if I understand correctly, amigamia would like to create a Live Pendriver "suitable for installing AROS on HD", the Pendriver created by VirtualBox or other VM does not allow you to do this.

To create a Pendriver "suitable for installing AROS" I use a particular Script created by Paolone which I then modified so that it would also work on AROS One!
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 5 months ago
64-bit. It's a Core 2 Duo
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

@AMIGASYSTEM - deadwood if I understand correctly, amigamia would like to create a Live Pendriver "suitable for installing AROS on HD", the Pendriver created by VirtualBox or other VM does not allow you to do this.

What do you mean? I install to HDD from USB Pendrive created in VirtualBox all the time.

1) VirtualBox -> AROS Live CD -> Install AROS -> AROS Live Drive
2) Hardware -> AROS Live Drive -> Install AROS -> HDD
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 5 months ago
In the past I had problems installing with the pendrive created "only" with installAROS, then I didn't try anymore, I don't know if anything has changed since then, I did a test on the fly now, and it actually works fine.

I have to check if AROS One also installs "completely" as the folders are the same as in the Build, this way I avoid using the script!
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 5 months ago

deadwood wrote:

@deadwood - @d0wz

Thanks for the tests! Looking forward to any other hardware tests Smile I also added you to the list for ZG5.

With regards to HP Z440, the specs page from HP(https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04506309) says it comes with an nVidia card - yours didn't have that card?

it's the same situation as the HP Z400 but otherwise costs more, a compatible ethernet card has to be plugged in and if you want 3D acceleration you have to change the default card which only goes in vesa and is still usable
Edited by Amiwell79 on 23-11-2023 14:07, 5 months ago
J
Jeff1138Junior Member
Posted 5 months ago
Hi,

Just purchased a T630 and currently testing slowly, only issue so far is no HDAudio support, please see entry

https://en.wikibo...P_Compaq_2
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
Damn, that's a shame about HDAudio. I made a note of that Sad
J
Jeff1138Junior Member
Posted 5 months ago
Hi,

Yes, seems our HDAudio driver hits issues around 2016 year devices, laptop Lenovo A275 and A475 has similar.

I also have a Dell Wyze 7010 and 5060
Edited by Jeff1138 on 25-11-2023 02:21, 5 months ago
D
d0wzJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago
@deadwood

I have two of these (Z440) and one did not come with a card. I had forgotten that one did come with a stock device.

Stock = NVIDIA GK107 GL [Quadro K420] : VESA Works (no mouse pointer).
Testing = NVIDIA G72 {Geforce 7300 LE] : Native Works.
D
d0wzJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago

Jeff1138 wrote:

@Jeff1138 - Hi,

Yes, seems our HDAudio driver hits issues around 2016, laptop Lenovo A275 and A475 has similar.

I also have a Dell Wyze 7010 and 5060

Does Icaros work, where current releases do not (HDAudio)?
*nevermind, you meant 2016 era devices; not development timeline
Edited by d0wz on 24-11-2023 15:48, 5 months ago
D
d0wzJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago
Here is a few more.

Acer Aspire 7741Z Series 4433
Boot = USB (Virtualbox to USB install) : Works
Video = Intel Core Processor Intergrated Graphics Controller : Works (VESA)
Audio = Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio : Works
Ethernet = NetLink BCM57780 Gigbit Ethernet PCIe : Doesn't Work
Wireless = AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) : Doesn't Work
USB = Works (No USB3)
AHCI = Sadly the controller has failed (probably would have worked, BIOS also provided IDE SATA mode)
Power Off = Hold Power Button

Thinkpad T40
Video = RV200/M7 [Mobility Radeon 7500] : Works (VESA)
Audio = 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC97 Audio Controller : Works
Ethernet = 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile) : Doesn't Work
Wireless = PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter : Doesn't Work
USB = Works (No USB3)
IDE = Works

Toughbook CF-W2 (Rare)
Video = Intel 82852/855GM Intergrated Graphics Device : Works (VESA)
Audio = 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC97 Audio Controller : Works
Ethernet = RTL-8100/8101/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter : Works
Wireless = Removed (Sorry)
USB = Works
IDE = Works
Edited by d0wz on 24-11-2023 05:02, 5 months ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
@Jeff1138

added you to 7010 and 5060 list, thanks

@d0wz

I added Z440 to candidates, but either gfx or network would have to become supported for this to be considered recommended hardware (so that a user would have to replace only 1 element). I think in case of Z400 there is some chance of updating nouveau to get it's cards supported, it will be harder with Z440 as it uses newer cards.
D
d0wzJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago

deadwood wrote:

@deadwood - Damn, that's a shame about HDAudio. I made a note of that Sad

Do these directions "Aros-alt-abvi0/workbench/devs/AHI/Drivers/HDAudio/README.txt" still work?
J
Jeff1138Junior Member
Posted 5 months ago
Hi,

Query and QueryD were tried and the AMD controller ID was added, did not work sadly. It works in some cases.

Codecs have to be written for any new ones like the ALC3232 and ALC 3234 before they will work

Just noticed, please do not contact Davy Wentzler via the email address at the bottom of the txt as that was for issue with the original work back in 2010
Edited by Jeff1138 on 26-11-2023 23:14, 5 months ago
C
clusterukNewbie
Posted 5 months ago
Hi All

So this is the link to the motherboard I am supporting. I have a few in stock but only for complete systems but you can order on this link.

They are FULLY supported and even the network as I paid Neil to write the NIC driver.

Any way, it is a great basis for a fast AROS machine.

https://www.aliex...76072.html

Keep well.

Steve
D
d0wzJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago

Jeff1138 wrote:

@Jeff1138 - Hi,

Query and QueryD were tried and the AMD controller ID was added, did not work sadly. It works in some cases.

Worth a shot.

Codecs have to be written for any new ones like the ALC3232 and ALC 3234 before they will work

I had just happened on it, while digging into the Via-Ac97/Ac97 folders. From working on other projects, I get to thinking audio drivers shouldn't be that hard. I am quickly reminded it is a different story, when you are working with an established platform.

Just noticed, please do not contact Davy Wentzler via the email address at the bottom of the txt as that was for issue with the original work back in 2010

Surely not. But it certainly should be pointed out, since I've drawn attention to it.
Edited by d0wz on 27-11-2023 05:31, 5 months ago
D
d0wzJunior Member
Posted 5 months ago
Here are a few more desktops.

--Dell Dimension 8300--
Boot = USB (Via InstallAros) : Works
Video = NV34 [GeForce FX5200] : Works (Native)
Audio = 82801 EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller : Works (Back Black Color Output)
Ethernet = 82562 EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller : Works
USB = Works (No USB3)
IDE = Works

--Dell Dimension 9200--
Boot = USB (Via InstallAros) : Works (NOACPI parameter) Note: USB devices may need to be moved to different ports, if boot fails. I don't think the drive will boot at all, if plugged in front.
Video = G72 [GeForce 7300 LE] : Works (Native)
Audio = 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller : Works (Ear Phone Jack in front and Green Colored output in back)
Network = 82566DC Gigabit Ethernet Connection : No Driver
USB = Works (No USB3)
SATA = Works (Bios does not seem to have a Non-IDE mode, for SATA)

--Dell XPS 410--
Boot = USB (Via InstallAros) : Works (NOACPI parameter) Note: USB devices may need to be moved to different ports, if boot fails. I don't think the drive will boot at all, if plugged in front.
Video = GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 3] : Works (Native)
- High Definition Audio Controller (HDMI)
Audio = 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller : Works (Ear Phone Jack in front and Green Colored output in back)
Network = 82566DC Gigabit Ethernet Connection : No Driver
USB = Works (No USB3)
SATA = Works
Power Off = Tap Power Button
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
@d0wz

Thanks, I added 9200 to list of candidates. 8300 and XPS 410 have too poor availability in my view, Sad
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 5 months ago
@All

This is to let you know that after fixing the USB booting issue with latest D07 build, I'm now adding ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 to the list of recommended hardware!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 9
Members Online 1
deadwood

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]