Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

General Chat

General Chat
988 posts | Last Activity on 26-03-2013 02:00 by emeck
emeck
emeck 26-03-2013 02:00, 11 years ago
Re: Volume control
I've tried some of these aiff samples [url]http://tdwhs.nwasco.k12.or.us/staff/lewing/resources/sound_effects.htm[/url], which worked in Multiview under AOS 3.5 But not with Icaros or AspireOS, neither play command nor Multiview. The last just opens a small empty windows with just an OK button. It is not even resizeable and no sound. The samples also work fine with mplayer command line in Debian.
Responded in Volume control
C
cavemann 25-03-2013 14:46, 11 years ago
@emeck I have not been able to get c:play to work with any kind of sound file. I think it may be broken. In Windows I converted some samples to AIFF. The AIFF from Audacity was not recognized by AROS and could not be played. The AIFF that was converted from SoundForge was recognized but would only play with mplayer. Maybe there is a problem with the AIFF datatype!!!
emeck
emeck 25-03-2013 02:36, 11 years ago
@cavemann Ok, there it is. I thought there should also be an aiff.datatype in Classes/Datatypes. With AspireOS, double click on the sample icon opens the Execute requester. With Icaros I get a Software failure with the same sample. Using c:play in both give the error reported earlier.
C
cavemann 24-03-2013 22:02, 11 years ago
The AIFF datatype should be in Devs/Datatypes. The sample should play if you click on the icon and click again on the little waveform window.
emeck
emeck 24-03-2013 19:27, 11 years ago
@cavemann Is there an aiff datatype for AROS? I tried a couple samples and I get a message saying Can?t open file.aiff as a Datatype object. The samples work under AOS 3.5 and Multiview but there is an aiff.datatype in there.
C
cavemann 24-03-2013 17:17, 11 years ago
I downloaded the Os4 Arexx volume control. [url]http://os4depot.net/index.php?function=showfile&file=utility/docky/mmvolume.lha[/url] After changing the icon to work with AROS, the rx scripts seemed to run Ok but without any effect. I suspect that AROS AHI only has null stubs for AREXX ports, because no error was returned. Also I've noticed the the c:play command does not play a wave or iff sound even though I believe there is a datatype for it. Does it work for any of you guys?
M
magorium 23-03-2013 20:44, 11 years ago
Nope, not atm :( The only thing you _can_ influence atm is in the AHI preference utility. Setting the volumes for each unit and changing the nr of channels. Theoretical it should be do-able to make e.g. a commandline tool to set the overall volume. Ofcourse that could result into something like a generic volume slider GUI util as well. I said theoretical, because i am just figuring things out with our AHI device other then just playing some music :D
emeck
emeck 23-03-2013 17:51, 11 years ago
Is it possible to send an AREXX command to increase/decrease AHI master volume? Or is there a mixer available for AROS for that?
emeck
emeck 20-03-2013 17:49, 11 years ago
Re: Digging in the Archives: Amimemos and Digiclock
Digiclock is very useful. Together with BoingIconBar I can now stop using Amistart. Thanks for the tip!
rebraist
rebraist 20-03-2013 13:50, 11 years ago
Re: Digging in the Archives: Amimemos and Digiclock
Today I've seen a little tool. It has a degree of "usefulness", but it's plagued by some limitations. Let's start. 1) AMIMEMOS: surely you all have used, at least once in a lifetime, a 3M POST-IT, those smart and yellow li'l papers where you write something you want to forget... There are a lot of post-it programs on this earth and Ami-Memos is one of them. You download it from here: http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/amimemos.i386-aros Simple to install, you simple launch the executable (and if you want, copy it in wbstartup to make it automatically start at every boot) and easy you have your post it: a window opens and you choose what to write in it, the color, hour and minute of the event and, if you want, an alarm. You can, then, edit the memos, change their colors and so on, move them on the screen, save them, or simply delete. There are, alas, some limitations: - you can't choose between rgb colors, only workbench one. - you can't choose the date of the event, only hour and minute, so you can't really program an event in the days to come. I noticed that moving post it on the screen, wanderer tends to slow on. The good thing is that there's source provided! So if anyone of us wants to contribute is free to do it! Last update was in 2003. So, after 10 years, who wants to relive it? Another tool i saw is a very useful title bar clock! 2) DIGICLOCK, written by Alex Carmona in 2011, sits on your title bar and do its nasty work in a discreet way. Download it from here: http://aminet.net/package/util/time/DigiClock Unzip the archive and put the executable in wbstartup. There's source too!! If you don't want to use amistart, it's a must!
nikos
nikos 20-03-2013 07:32, 11 years ago
Re: 10 Best Programs
Top 10 app. 10 GrafX2 09 Snapshoter 08 MilkyTracker 07 Wookiechat 06 YAM 05 BoingIconBar 04 Audio Evolution 03 DOpus 02 MPlayer 01 OWB Top 10 game 10 OpenTyrian 09 Quake 3 08 Qube 2 07 Squxz 3 06 Gish 05 Tux cart 04 Flashback 03 Return to castle wolfenstein 02 Hex-a-Hop 01 Neverball And many more ;)
Responded in 10 Best Programs
C
cavemann 19-03-2013 19:31, 11 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=38&pid=269#post_269][b]hard_wired wrote:[/b][/url] Reset by the keyboard works as long as I don't mess with USB... Old bug already identified but not simple to dismiss.[/quote] Reset works on my desktop with USB mouse and with USB drive-stick inserted (but not on my laptop). What USB device is a problem?
hard_wired
hard_wired 18-03-2013 18:10, 11 years ago
Reset by the keyboard works as long as I don't mess with USB... Old bug already identified but not simple to dismiss.
M
magorium 18-03-2013 03:13, 11 years ago
Re: Digging in the Archives: MidtoFront
@emeck Well, the article database supports just that what you just described :) (awesome/very good/good/average/poor) just as can be done for newspostings. Thanks for the idea though, it might come in handy in the future :thumbsup:
emeck
emeck 18-03-2013 02:35, 11 years ago
@magorium if rating with several options (excellent, average, poor, bad, etc) is not possible, maybe using something like facebook Like may be enough. Depending in the number of users who Like (or not) the app you can get a quick idea. There are a couple of PHP-Fusion plugins for that.
M
magorium 18-03-2013 01:08, 11 years ago
Thanks for your input cavemann :thumbsup: You just gave me an idea with your remarks, but i dunno if it is feasible. I'm gonna try contacting admin about it very soon. In the mean while i'm going to ask rebraist if he already has contacted admin ? if necessary pm me here rebaist.
C
cavemann 16-03-2013 19:16, 11 years ago
[quote][url=http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=51&pid=252#post_252][b]magorium wrote:[/b][/url] @cavemann: Since you know aw better then me (!?), what do you think the best location would be for such posts ? [/quote] When I see the heading 'Articles' I expect tutorials or interviews. But I think your idea to move these reviews to the Article section is a good one because of the rating system. Not in order to rate the review itself, but I think it's good to empower users to rate AROS software and hardware, as well as comment on it's usefulness. For example I would give midtofront an awesome rating, but someone else might rate it as average. This kind of information can be useful to someone deciding whether to install a program or not. Also while discussing the site. It might be good for the admins to consider making the shout list longer and the comment list longer, since ArosWorld is getting a little busier ;)
rebraist
rebraist 16-03-2013 14:59, 11 years ago
thank you for your suggestions!
emeck
emeck 16-03-2013 07:10, 11 years ago
@rebraist Yes, very useful. And now it is included in Icaros 1.5 Commodities drawer so no need to download :)
M
magorium 16-03-2013 06:49, 11 years ago
@rebaist: Thank you for the post. It is indeed one of the most usefull utilities out there. Despite doing little, it does exactly as stated and does it good. on another note: i don't know if you would appreciate some advise, but sometimes a written text reads better when divided into paragraphs so that there is some whitespace between the lines. Also, if you edit text in the full-editor (meaning you get all kind of icons you can choose from) you can just siomply paste rtf text into the edit-box. If admin installed it correctly then it should automatically be converted into 'forum' tekst. I use it this way with html from my editor. @cavemann: Since you know aw better then me (!?), what do you think the best location would be for such posts ? I was thinking about articles, but at the same time it could be something for a news category perhaps ? But maybe that would interfere with the 'normal' news too much ? i have no idea how such things were done in the past.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

Filter by Tags

Popular Threads This Week

Tiny Aros DistrĂ²by Amiwell79 169 posts
AROS One x86 Work In Progressby AMIGASYSTEM 147 posts
AROS ABIv0 20220318-1 Supportby deadwood 73 posts
AROS Archives - clean upby AMIGASYSTEM 64 posts
Odyssey Resourceby Amiwell79 17 posts
AROS One 68k Work In Progressby AMIGASYSTEM 16 posts
Interviews Carlo Spadoniby AMIGASYSTEM 3 posts
Greetingsby Templario 3 posts
Rufus 3.x and Rufus 4.x.by AMIGASYSTEM 3 posts
Aros Vision in Developmentby OlafSch 2 posts
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 6
Members Online 0

Total Members: 229
Newest Member: Templario
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]