Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

A question about the license

Last updated on 8 years ago
M
mugenfightertubeJunior Member
Posted 8 years ago
I'm going to have my dad (who is a lawyer) look at the license for AROS and tell me what he thinks I should do in more details. But I figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask here (my dad is busy and I don't see him often enough to do things like this, for details I won't go into).

I wanted to possibly try to do a website to as kind of a resource for people to get AROS distros. The point would be to maybe get some more AROS distros and possibly a some new people to come. I heard about AROS and AmigaOS on a few youtube videos and decided to check them out, so hay it might happen.

Anyway I wanted to help people understand by modifying the code and showing explaining on the site. My question is does this at all go against the license for AROS?
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 8 years ago

Anyway I wanted to help people understand by modifying the code and showing explaining on the site. My question is does this at all go against the license for AROS?

You are allowed to do with AROS as you wish, according to it's license.

Wikipedia mentions here, official license here, and afaik there is a thread somewhere on the nets discussing the license (sorry no link).

It doesn't matter much what you think about the license -> it is a license, as such it is a valid license no matter how some people might think about that.

However..

I wanted to possibly try to do a website to as kind of a resource for people to get AROS distros. The point would be to maybe get some more AROS distros and possibly a some new people to come.

Which is basically ok to do, but do realize that individual software titles (for AROS) and AROS distributions _might_ not use the same license, and as such you would need to take that into account.

Having said that, i personally don't think anyone would dislike if you would advert AROS in any way shape or form, including distributions and or individual software titles.

Just use common sense, and in case you are not sure, then just ask the people involved.
M
Posted 8 years ago

magorium wrote:

You are allowed to do with AROS as you wish, according to it's license.

Wikipedia mentions here, official license here, and afaik there is a thread somewhere on the nets discussing the license (sorry no link).

It doesn't matter much what you think about the license -> it is a license, as such it is a valid license no matter how some people might think about that.

However..

I wanted to possibly try to do a website to as kind of a resource for people to get AROS distros. The point would be to maybe get some more AROS distros and possibly a some new people to come.

Which is basically ok to do, but do realize that individual software titles (for AROS) and AROS distributions _might_ not use the same license, and as such you would need to take that into account.

Having said that, i personally don't think anyone would dislike if you would advert AROS in any way shape or form, including distributions and or individual software titles.

Just use common sense, and in case you are not sure, then just ask the people involved.

Sorry left some stuff out there should read "get AROS distro ideas and help."
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 8 years ago
Well, due to English not being my native tongue, i'm still a bit in the guesswork as of what you had in mind exactly.

If you want to setup an AROS related website, then that's ok. If you want to create a new AROS distribution then that's ok as well. If you want to sell your newly created distribution then that's ok as well. As long as the conditions of the license are met ;)

There are many people out there that blog about AROS (some even dedicated to AROS only), or have setup up a discussion board, some (like Paolo, Pascal and Nikos) created a distribution, so i don't seem to grasp why anyone else (you for instance) doing something similar wouldn't be allowed to.

As said, whatever your plans are: use common sense and if you're not sure then simply ask around to those involved (i am personally not directly related to the AROS team in any way shape or form, just pretend being an admin on a discussion board). If you want to contact the AROS developers then please write to them in the developers MailingList.

FWIW: relicensing, adding an classic emulator slam it up into your own distribution and sell it for big bucks (good luck with that if the case) is heavily frowned upon in the (generic) amiga community and will for sure be a lost cause from the start -> many have tried and failed miserably.

PS: usually if someone has an idea and need to ask question or check if there is any interest they run those by on the aros-exec.org forums (as all the aros users/developers usually) hang out over there.
Edited by magorium on 16-10-2015 08:19, 8 years ago
M
Posted 8 years ago

magorium wrote:

Well, due to English not being my native tongue, i'm still a bit in the guesswork as of what you had in mind exactly.

If you want to setup an AROS related website, then that's ok. If you want to create a new AROS distribution then that's ok as well. If you want to sell your newly created distribution then that's ok as well. As long as the conditions of the license are met ;)

There are many people out there that blog about AROS (some even dedicated to AROS only), or have setup up a discussion board, some (like Paolo, Pascal and Nikos) created a distribution, so i don't seem to grasp why anyone else (you for instance) doing something similar wouldn't be allowed to.

As said, whatever your plans are: use common sense and if you're not sure then simply ask around to those involved (i am personally not directly related to the AROS team in any way shape or form, just pretend being an admin on a discussion board). If you want to contact the AROS developers then please write to them in the developers MailingList.

FWIW: relicensing, adding an classic emulator slam it up into your own distribution and sell it for big bucks (good luck with that if the case) is heavily frowned upon in the (generic) amiga community and will for sure be a lost cause from the start -> many have tried and failed miserably.

PS: usually if someone has an idea and need to ask question or check if there is any interest they run those by on the aros-exec.org forums (as all the aros users/developers usually) hang out over there.

Thanks I'm still new here. My idea was a reference site for possible ideas on what one can do for their own AROS distro and code it in. Basically I would take some things in various distros not available in the standard AROS version and try to recreate them in a legal way so others can use similar methods. Another use is for people who just want to know how such things are implemented. Again this would be a reference site.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 8 years ago

mugenfightertube wrote:
Thanks I'm still new here. My idea was a reference site for possible ideas on what one can do for their own AROS distro and code it in. Basically I would take some things in various distros not available in the standard AROS version and try to recreate them in a legal way so others can use similar methods. Another use is for people who just want to know how such things are implemented. Again this would be a reference site.

I don't think that would be prohibit in any way. Like i said, many people do something similar in/on their blog-sites.

See for example paolone's icarosdesktop website, and i'm personally providing some programming examples on my github account and in the process of experimenting with github wiki to see if that could be used as a paltform to write some faq articles on topics that seem to re-occur (i'm not favouring current AROS wikibook structure).

I would say go ahead. No need to inform anyone (unless you want some traffic), only in case you are re-using/distributing software from others it might be advisable to inform (usually a simple ask is all it takes when license isn't free for distribution)

However, you might want to think about/consider if you want to do all the effort yourself (of setting up blog/website etc.) or that you perhaps (also) could write things in the AROS wikibook.

Of course the wikibook is a wiki and might not be very practical for the things you have in mind (like i have decided for myself)
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: magorium, mugenfightertube
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 10
Members Online 0

Total Members: 216
Newest Member: Farox
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]