Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Fonts for Aros

Last updated on 8 days ago
pikewerferpikewerferJunior Member
Posted 11 days ago
Hi guys,

here is something I just posted on the MorphOS forum - but since it also concerns you (as Aros is an Amiga operating system), I will post it here as well:

---
Hi MorphOS Community,

Monotype used to offer a free font package for MorphOS/AmigaOS users - it could be "purchased" for zero USD/EUR and downloaded on a website called www.linotype.com.

It contained 27 styles (selected by yours truly) to give MorphOS users more diverse options for using typography on our beloved OS.

Unfortunately, the website linotype.com was shut down a few weeks ago, as Monotype wants to focus on monotype.com and myfonts.com. I cannot currently move the font package to one of these sites.

But you can of course still get it. Simply email support@monotype.com and ask for the MorphOS Free Font Package. The support team will forward those requests to me, and I will ensure you get the fonts. I will ensure Monotype keeps providing the fonts - and maybe even offers a second package. Stay tuned.

Yours truly

Pike
---

I work for Monotype, and set up this package a few years ago. It is still available, and you can use the fonts for free on Aros (or any other Amiga operating system). I suppose Aros can handle OpenType fonts?
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 11 days ago

pikewerfer wrote:

@pikewerfer - Hi guys,

I suppose Aros can handle OpenType fonts?

If you are referring to THESE, I tested some and they work fine on AROS One !
Posted 11 days ago
Well, these are OT TTF - most OpenType fonts are OT CFF. Let me test an OT CFF to see if that would work, too. If it does, then the package from Monotype will work. :-)
Posted 11 days ago
The fonts "CFF" also used by CorelDRAW are not supported by AROS, but neither are they supported by Windows!
Posted 11 days ago
Having worked with fonts for 25 years now, I beg to differ :-)

There are two types of OpenType. One is OT TTF - an OpenType that uses the suffix .ttf (like old TrueTypes did). It is downwards compatible with TrueType, so software that cannot use OT TTF but can use TrueType will still be able to recognize OT TTF (although it will not be able to access the full character map, nor will it be able to access OpenType features).

OT CFF are OpenTypes that use the suffix .otf. They are being fully supported by Windows (ever since Windows 2000), although some Windows applications took longer to work well with them. Today, however, using Windows 11 and MS Office 2021, you would have no problems using OT CFF. It is fully supported.

It better be - because there are almost no foundries left that still produce OT TTF. OT CFF has clearly won this race.

I assume Aros is still using TrueType technology to read font chars. That would indeed be sad (especially because MorphOS has no issues with OT CFF). We might want to look into that. Who is working on Fonts for Aros? Being a Monotyper, I might be able to help.
Posted 11 days ago
I am not an expert on fonts, i don't know if there are any special installation procedures, I tried to install (drag and drop into Fonts folder) on Win10 a CFF. font pre-washed from HERE, Windows informed me it was not supported, same thing with Windows7.
Posted 11 days ago
Hi AmigaSystem!

Those are CFF files, not OT CFF fonts. Those files store vector info for CorelDraw. A real OT CFF font would end in .otf, not .cff. Let me send you an OT CFF for testing.

Cheers

Pike
Posted 11 days ago
The .OTF fonts are supported by AROS, I tried a font downloaded from HERE (Amosca PERSONAL USE ONLY!.otf) and it worked fine on AROS One.
Posted 11 days ago
Nice - how did you install it? Copying an OTF file into AROS:Fonts does not do the trick - or do I need to reboot?
Posted 11 days ago
No, you must not restart, simple you have to 'Install it' you do the same thing on Amiga OS Smile

- Copy new Fonts to Fonts/TrueType
- System folder
- Run FTManager
- Double Click on the new Fonts you will see in the window
- Click "tab" Install

After this the new fonts will be available for all Applications

www.arosworld.org/infusions/forum/attachments/otf.jpg
Edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 14-06-2024 12:22, 11 days ago
AMIGASYSTEM attached the following image:
otf.jpg
Posted 10 days ago
I read your E-mail, it concerns your Font "FSRome-Regular.otf", did you install it as I described above?

I have successfully installed your Font "FSRome-Regular.otf", see screenshot
Of course it also works well on Windows 7/10.

www.arosworld.org/infusions/forum/attachments/test_5.jpg
AMIGASYSTEM attached the following image:
test_5.jpg
Posted 8 days ago
Nice! This means AROS ONE can handle OT CFF - which means the Monotype font package can be installed and used by any AROS user. Ask for it, people - and have fun with the fonts!
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: AMIGASYSTEM, pikewerfer
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 8
Members Online 0

Total Members: 235
Newest Member: pikewerfer
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]