Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Best way to explore AROS?

Last updated on 2 months ago
S
StudenteerJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Hello everyone,

It maybe sound wierd from a AROS-user with one year experiences, but I looking for a "road to explore" AROS with some "must visited-places" to get better understanding of AROS (maybe also Amiga).
Related to my target of developing improvements for AROS, I was trying to understand AROS and how it working. From my time of self-exploring, I started to thinking about the "right way" to finishing my targets and got many support from the Community, which answered questions as good as they were able. The road I walked until now has become quiet large. Keeping sure to not missed a "must visited", I asking for a recommened "road" to "explore" the OS AROS.

I want to ask for a regular "road to explore" so others - with other targets - can also "walk on this road" without issues. Please don't specify answers on my situation only.
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 2 months ago
Hello,

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. How to best explore AROS ?

From my perspective the best way for me to understand how AROS works is to take it apart and put it back together again, hoping that it still works. Smile

Start with a basic installation, maybe just a core system or Tiny AROS. Then start adding features such as new window themes and a new icon set. Add some 3rd party apps from AROS Archives or Aminet such as Graphics programs or music players. You could use ffmpeg to convert music or video files to different formats too .

Whether you are using Wanderer or Magellan just choose "All Files" and explore every folder which on AROS and Amiga are called "drawers". The file system directory structure is very basic.

There is also much documentation available about AROS (and Amiga as well). Start with the Icaros Desktop User Guide. In the guide just substitute Icaros with AROS in general then it will start to make sense how AROS is organized.
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
You could try buying the AmigaOS 3.1 workbench manuals
mattson62mattson62Junior Member
Posted 2 months ago
I feel AROS invited me to explore it because it was very appealing looking at it for the first time and intresting and different from what i have experienced and ICAROS wowed me when i first installed it and saw how packed it was everything you could ever want in a OS.I have a love for retro os's and have alot on V.B. and love experiencing different from the same ol thing.AROS has put some excitement into computing for me seeing it grow and the Awesome work the AROS Team does to put it together.It's exciting to see a new Build,Core and to see a New TINY AROS and AROS ONE maybe even a redesigned New ICAROS someday.I also enjoyed exploring AROS through the Blogs,and web sites,some interesting stuff.
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
Studenter, I don't want to be repetitive and biased, but starting from a basic system you have little to observe, and very difficult for an Amiga/Aros expert to assemble a system from scratch, if first with know the basics of Amiga/Aros

For all that said in my opinion it is just wasted effort to start from scratch, my advice is to look in detail at AROS One, or IcarOS if you like magellan, this way you will gain two more years of experience in a few weeks.

Of course you can ask as many questions as you want, and maybe with with our and experience, me even on Amiga for 30 years experienced, I am, indeed I was also the developer of Afa One (Amiga OS 3.9 BB4 + AfA OS)
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
It's an interesting question. Perhaps relating this to other free time activities can be a good approach.

What is the best way to spend holidays? Some people will want to lay on beach or by the pool, have drinks and read book. Others will want a quided tour. Every day in different place, but everything organized, pre-planned and taken care of by someone else just guiding them from attraction to attration. Yet others will want to take a backpack, hitch a ride, walk the trail and enjoy freedome to choose what they explore.

Neither of these three approaches is good or bad. Each is simply personal, catering to who you are and what you want.

So what's the best way to explore AROS? It's... personal.

If you found something that gives you joy and makes you want to explore even more - your are on your right personal path and that's the only thing that matters. Volounteer projects like AROS live and die the by the enjoyment they give to people and people's wilingess to do more.

As for "must visited" topics, I honestly couldn't name any without knowing which personal path a person is Wandering ( Wink ). A developer working mostly in cross-compilation will have different set of important topic to visit than a user wanting to do 100% of daily computer usage on AROS. I see that from my person experience where I'm fairly familiar with how AROS kernel works, but AROS shell scripts can surpise me.
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
Yes, it takes time even just to gain some experience in desktop use, starting with a simple installation of a distribution I think is the main step, icaros desktop is well documented even if obsolete in its code, then as said if you only need a few applications you are on the right track, time to get the basics of the operating system
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: deadwood, AMIGASYSTEM, Amiwell79, miker1264, mattson62, Studenteer
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 5
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]