Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Is this OK for AROS? Toshiba Satellite L20

Last updated on 8 days ago
PuniPuniJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Hi,

Since I had problems with AROS and the previous laptop, I've dusted off my old work-horse, a Toshiba Satellite L20. It was my main PC many, many years ago. Smile It turns out it still works, so hopefully I can make use of it again.

CPU: Intel Celeron M 380 / 1.6 GHz

GPU: ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

Here is a review of of one:

https://www.noteb...836.0.html

Do you think this one would be good for AROS? If yes, then I'll be happy to remove the old XP installation. ;-)

Thanks in advance.
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
the graphics card is not opengl compatible you will work in vesa mode, you must check the network card with the pcitool tool if not you will use thetering with the smartphone
J
Jeff1138Junior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Hi,

Welcome, I would suggest burning a CD/DVD or write a usb stick to "Live boot" test with maybe changing the bios boot order before installing as the audio did not work 10 years ago when last tested

https://en.wikibo...CL#Toshiba

Let us know how you get on if you decide to test further
Edited by Jeff1138 on 05-03-2024 22:19, 2 months ago
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 2 months ago
@Puni

If you won't be happy with support of L20, here is a list of recommended inexpensive hardware that has very good support:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_Complete_System_HCL#Recommended_hardware
PuniPuniJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Thanks for the help everyone! It looks like I should keep the Satellite as it is, mostly due to the graphics. I'll see if I can sort something out from the recommended hardware list. Like
PuniPuniJunior Member
Posted 18 days ago
Finally found a computer! Acer Aspire One! Like Apx. 17 EUR + postage. The seller claims it is fully working with battery and charger. Will be fun to experiment with this one!
Amiwell79Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 18 days ago
yes it is fully compatibleSmile
PuniPuniJunior Member
Posted 8 days ago
The Acer arrived today! I must say it is a neat, little computer. :-) I'm going to install AROS on it this weekend. Looking forward to that.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: deadwood, Amiwell79, Jeff1138, Puni
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 8
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]