Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

MOS Ambient

Last updated on 11 days ago
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 22 days ago
@miker
Thanks for the contribution, my term 'Based' actually didn't refer to the sources, I believe Ambient was developed from scratch, but since developers came from the Amiga world they were inspired by Workbench and Magellan, you only have to go into the settings to see how similar Ambient is to Workbench and Magellan.

I don't know if you have read it, HERE I made a report for some gurus found on DTConvert GUI.
Edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 06-06-2024 16:37, 22 days ago
Posted 22 days ago

pixie wrote:

@pixie - They look very good on MorphOS environment. Perhaps one MorphOS theme could be made for AROS!

In realtà su AROS One x86/68k esiste già un Tema "Ispirato" a MOS vecchio stile, ma se vuoi crere un Tema su MOS più recente basta poco, see screnshot.
Unico problema è lo sfondo chiaro nella finestra, per dettaglio le piccole icone che ho creato si vedono benissimo perchè per dettaglio il Font si adegua al colore dello sfondo, con la visualizzazione con Icone, i font non si adeguano e non hanno una buona visibilità sui sfondi chiari
AMIGASYSTEM attached the following image:
aros_one_1.jpg
pixiepixieMember
Posted 16 days ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

What does ApolloOS have to do with it here there is no inspiration and simply a mixed AROS/Amiga based system.

Inspiring is synonymous with 'similar', if it is strongly inspired then even more so.!

Apollo OS is a fork of AROS, I was answering the assumption you made that "if they had used Magellan's sources it would not have been called Ambient but Magellan", showing you a case where AROS sources are being used and being named differently.

Apollo OS is not CaffeineOS much less CoffinOS.
Posted 16 days ago
I know all the Distributions mentioned very well, Apollo OS currently except for the ROM and some applications there is no almost nothing AROS, from ApolloOS list me native AROS system applications, you are unlikely to find any! you will certainly find many native OS3.1 applications, as shown in my screenshot.
AMIGASYSTEM attached the following image:
apolloos_1.jpg
pixiepixieMember
Posted 15 days ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

@AMIGASYSTEM - I know all the Distributions mentioned very well, Apollo OS currently except for the ROM and some applications there is no almost nothing AROS, from ApolloOS list me native AROS system applications, you are unlikely to find any! you will certainly find many native OS3.1 applications, as shown in my screenshot.

From their site, the changes are under the hood, it's not a matter of aplications but rather optimizing AROS to be more like AmigaOS and less abstracted to fit their needs.

To revive the Amiga, we need to re-invent three fundamental elements: the chipset, the CPU, and the OS. We intended our AROS fork to become the new operating system for Amiga, which every user would instantly know how to use and is 100% OS 3.x compatible. But we want to add modern features like Ethernet or USB stack.

ApolloOS
Edited by pixie on 13-06-2024 04:42, 15 days ago
Posted 15 days ago
As said only a few things AROS, try it on AMiGA OS3.1 and then we'll talk!
O
OlafSchMember
Posted 15 days ago
@pixie

Indeed goal of apolloos is to get a 100% replacement of 3.1

That includes bugfixes, removing incompatibilities and increase performance

Not everything makes sense to be included in main branch but many of the commits are

of course aros also benefits from it
Edited by OlafSch on 13-06-2024 04:06, 15 days ago
Posted 15 days ago
In my opinion it is still a step backwards, there is OS 3.9 BB4 which is the most advanced AMIGA system at the moment, this is where you had to start from, not backtrack and reinvent the wheel.

Have you tried ApolloOS ? there is not much stability besides OS 3.1 is old for today's times !

Look at the difference with my old AfA One distribution OS 3.9 BB4 + AfA OS
https://www.youtu...XyV1PvkNvo
O
OlafSchMember
Posted 15 days ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

@AMIGASYSTEM - In my opinion it is still a step backwards, there is OS 3.9 BB4 which is the most advanced AMIGA system at the moment, this is where you had to start from, not backtrack and reinvent the wheel.

Have you tried ApolloOS ? there is not much stability besides OS 3.1 is old for today's times !

Look at the difference with my old AfA One distribution OS 3.9 BB4 + AfA OS
https://www.youtu...XyV1PvkNvo

Amigasystem, your view of the world is not universal. Simply accept other opinions, even regarding Aros

And do not try to lecture me about the 68k branch or desktops because we only get in arguments

Apolloos is not much interesting me but I am in contact with the developer there. He is very kind and supportive. The bugfixes and improving of comptability on 68k might not help much on X86 because not needed there but help on Aros 68k so it also helps me.
Posted 15 days ago
As usual you misinterpret what I write, I'm not criticising the developer, in fact I appreciate him, what I don't understand is why we go backwards, why use the old OS3 GUI when AROS offers modern GUIs, in this way AROS 68k instead of going forward, goes backwards!

AMiGA was my best OS when everyone was looking ahead to progress, AMiGA was an Innovative OS, now you do the opposite, the older it is, the better!

Today's users want modern and functional things, not things that belong to the Middle Ages

Read the posts of new users, all of whom are interested, then see the old-fashioned and trash everything.
O
OlafSchMember
Posted 15 days ago
I am not the decider of apolloos. The idea of them is the look & feel of 3.1 to replace it 100% and have more modern features like network or USB out of the box. It is their concept. As you see on screenshot it is not my concept.

There are different user groups in current community, expecially on 68k. You cannot satisfy everyone with only one concept. Many people buy 3.2 despite there is not really much new in it in my view except some of the routines and components optimized.
Edited by OlafSch on 13-06-2024 05:03, 15 days ago
OlafSch attached the following image:
scalos_os4.png
O
OlafSchMember
Posted 15 days ago
BTW 3.9 is no base in my view because it cannot be bought anymore and sources are not available. I will use my desktop preferences on scalos to also develop a version of my distribution based on 3.1

3.1 is the standard for amiga, the common platform
Posted 15 days ago
OK now AROS Vision looks better, but you have to get rid of the old icons and try to use icons all of the same type and size.

In addition, the icons must be "sorted" on all Windows, with Magellan you unfortunately have to store them one by one, with Wanderer the icons are automatically always sorted (Option Wanderer Prefs)
O
OlafSchMember
Posted 15 days ago

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

@AMIGASYSTEM - OK now AROS Vision looks better, but you have to get rid of the old icons and try to use icons all of the same type and size.

In addition, the icons must be "sorted" on all Windows, with Magellan you unfortunately have to store them one by one, with Wanderer the icons are automatically always sorted (Option Wanderer Prefs)

screenshot is from scalos
O
OlafSchMember
Posted 15 days ago
new screenshot (scalos)
OlafSch attached the following image:
scalos7.png
Posted 15 days ago
Much better, the eyes want their share too.
O
OlafSchMember
Posted 15 days ago
Regarding step backward of forward I think so either. Having only a 3.1 replacement is a waste of resources on better hardware in my view, the same is true in my view if you use standard 3.1 or 3.2 on it. But many users are preferring that. It is pure retro for them. But then why adding Apollo or PiStorm if you are only interested in the old software. For that a slightly updated A500 or A1200 are enough. I have stopped wondering Wink
Posted 15 days ago
In fact, I am objective even if I make many enemies, today's Amiga users are just game nostalgics, nobody cares about the operating system anymore, this because it is considered useless for what an OS should do today.

Many users throw money away on old boards, always assembling and disassembling hardware, resulting in incompatibilities, as well as having desks full of wires and various junk, a bad image for what was Amiga.

Pistorm, Vampire are much more useless, they are too slow to be modern and too fast, for retro, plus they made many games and applications incompatible.

OS 3.2 made a lot of fixes, but at the same time killed OS 3.9, now nobody develops for OS3.9 anymore (no more free updates), made Datatypes, Libraries become commercial, moreover native OS 3.2 software and libraries are not supported by OS 3.9, so Amiga OS from bad to worse.

These are the reasons why I cut back with Amiga and use AROS Native!
O
OlafSchMember
Posted 15 days ago
Which games or apps are incompatible because of PiStorm or Apollo? At least up to now almost all available software not uses the new features of Apollo hardware and PiStorm with emu68 is only a layer on a arm based hardware. More problematic is the new amigaos branch (3.2) who certainly potentially adds incompatibilities.

Of course Amiga stopped being a serious platform decades ago. On X86 at .least browser is more up to date but even there it is already outdated. Finally people use amiga stuff as hobby, not as the main platform. Too much is missing and there is no security (except being too small to be interesting for criminals)
Edited by OlafSch on 13-06-2024 06:50, 15 days ago
Posted 15 days ago
On Vampire and PiStorm many OCS/ECS/AGA games don't work or work badly, Vampire and PiStorm don't have an OCS/ECS/AGA ChipSet Native, I have a lot of experience in this field.

I own all Amiga models, already my AMiGA 4000/060 had incompatibilities with OCS/ECS games, many I could boot via various degraders!

On an Amiga it only takes a bit of RAM in addition i have a powerful CPU to encounter incompatibilities.

Many years ago I created compilations for my 2 CD32 of which one expanded with SX32, both were already incompatible with each other, on CD32 SX32 many games on CD would not start, these are my compilations for Cd32 (the animations of my children 8-10 years old today 36-40 years old)

Compilation CD32 Standard
https://youtu.be/...

Compilation CD32 SX32 8MB RAM
https://youtu.be/...
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: AMIGASYSTEM, pixie, ntromans, Amiwell79, miker1264, OlafSch
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 4
Members Online 0

Total Members: 235
Newest Member: pikewerfer
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]