Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

AROS ONE X86 Video Resolution Does Not Work

Last updated on 1 month ago
J
JumpingKiwiJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
So just bought a Atom cpu system my second one to try to install AROS on because the original can't install it, so now buying the right chipset suggested and spending again another £30 for an Intel D945GSEJT (Johnstown) motherboard based industrial computer it loads AROS and it works fine without having yet tested the audio it works in in VESA and 1024x768 modes etc what it has for video output is both VGA and DVI outputs but if you switch to the DVI though to use a DVI to hdmi adaptor there's no native boot up but in VESA modes it works on DVI with a tiny screen locked in a 50" chunky black border window but on another TV the native works but in VGA mode only as well, but I don't want tiny little monitors with no way to see what everything is or says on the screen, this makes no sense to me other than for ultra outdated machines that are dying to death they might work yes but those systems of yester year and now starting to dissapear from existence I need a native 1080p resolution without borders around a small shrunken screen in the middle of a giant TV over the DVI port, I just don't want to be stuck with a 15" monitor on VGA in a world now 4K it's really bad to think I'd be relegated to antiquainted outdated monitors in 2024 using a 20+ year old monitor I also wanted it on my all in one Dell Optiplex 5270 desktop which is way cheaper to run I use screen copy to connect the android box on that over the usb-c and then input through the HDMI input on the back of the TV box I also tried that over the DVI of this new Atom system but the same issue arises it doesn't detect the DVI when using the DVI to HDMI the adaptor does work as was working on the 50" TV with the only tiny VESA screens and low res not full HD I suspect there needs to be a driver built I am not a programmer of any kind I cannot develop or code in any way I just can't get 1080p and audio out if that isn't added but think it is native on mty system I definitely need help please, any way here are the specs.

chipset
Chipset Intel 945GSE (Calistoga)
chipChipset parts
Intel 82945GSE (GMCH)
Intel 82801GBM (ICH7M)
chipAudio chips
Realtek ALC662 (High Definition Audio)
chipVideo chips
Intel GMA 950 (Graphics Media Accelerator 950)
chipNetwork chips
Realtek RTL8111DL
chipSuper I/O chips
Winbond W83627DHG

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel-d945gsejt-johnstown#expchips
Edited by JumpingKiwi on 17-07-2024 18:53, 2 months ago
A
Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 2 months ago
you should consider using a full hd monitor, even a large one I paid 50 euro for a 24" one
J
JumpingKiwiJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago

Amiwell79 wrote:

@Amiwell79 - you should consider using a full hd monitor, even a large one I paid 50 euro for a 24" one

Is there nothing you can edit and force feed the
desired resolutions in manually in a config of sorts and not setting it purely in the wanderer file manager only but rather tbe native screen/monitor it's sellves resolution or detectiin in full screen not 25" 4:3 in a 50" 16:9 screen.

I can't understand why they never automatically added TV support and large screen supoort it does run actually in 2.4 in native over DVI but this is on the other machine without a 945 chipset and then that system just fails to install during which it aplears it's garbled and nasty bleech coloured artifacts still not flickering.

Bit it's new machune the 945 chipset and my TV and all in one pc resolution I need not a monitor I need axway to manually change resolutions to a sizexformatter for the TV and all in one pc piggy backjng through an android box's HDMI input recording app as that saves me havibg to use different monitors and buying them like your suggesting when I have two TV's and two monitors already space is running out in a single bed appartment.

The other alternative is if someome generates the drivers for the other unit that one is the Minix Mini HD

MINIX MINI HD PC specifications:

CPU – Intel dual-core (4 threads) D2550 processor @ 1.86GHz
Chipset – Intel NM10
GPU – Intel GMA 3600 Series
System Memory – 2x 1.5V DDR3 @ 800/1066MHz SO-DIMM sockets supporting up to 4GB of system memory (GeekBuying reports that “8GB (4GB x 2) memory is supported unofficially, stability will not be guaranteed by Intel”)
BIOS – 1 x 16Mbit flash with AMI BIOS. Supports Plug & Play, Advanced Power Management ACPI, STR, CPU temperature, Fan speed, System Voltage monitoring
Rear Panel I/O:
1 x power connector
1 x PS/2 Mouse port
1 x PS/2 Keyboard port
1 x VGA port
1 x HDMI port
2 x USB 3.0 ports (optional), USB 2.0/1.1 compliant
4 x USB 2.0 ports, USB 1.1 compliant
2 x RJ45 LAN port (dual gigabit optional)
3 x Audio ports (Line In / Line Out / MIC In)
Internal I/O Connectors:
1 x SATA power connector
2 x SATA II connectors
1 x LVDS header
CPU fan header and system fan header,
1 x Front panel header
1 x Front panel audio header
1 x S/PDIF out header
1 x Serial port header
1 x Speaker header
2 x USB 2.0 headers for additional 4 USB 2.0 ports (by cables)
Audio – Onboard 6-channel HD Audio Codec (Realtek ALC661), 5.1 channel high definition audio,
support for S/PDIF Out through on-board header
Onboard LAN – Onboard 10/100/1000Mbps compatible LAN
Expansion Slots – 1 x PCI Express x1 slot
Motherboard dimensions – 170mm*170mm (Micro-ATX)
PC Dimensions – 60mm x 186mm x 192mm
Package weight – 1.98kg

In my one it has 4gb ram shimmed and hard but crude active fan modded , it's a 24/7 never gets hot machine runs really cool temps all day forever never gets hot amd is considerably faster than the 945 system by miles it is native HDMI as well so already capable of connecting to anything HD it just needs it's chipset and cpu modelling for AROS I reckom it would rum well. Very in fact if it was added for me.

I want to contribute doing my music I produce but nothing chart topping but also not bad I was going well have started making a chiptune sample pack to offer fo drop included free with AROS oif you wanted it I think a fair trade is getting a unit of the two now useless up and runnjng on AROS so I can learn a bit of tracker music toods it's what partially I want it to use for I could drop the sample pack in it and produce some patterns that automate to make an album maybe? Release that too for free if not in AROS then somewhere on the site aros exec or something the archive area letting others play with it .
Edited by JumpingKiwi on 17-07-2024 21:15, 2 months ago
D
DerekJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Hi,

Try looking at the AROS Hardware Compatabilty list:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_Complete_System_HCL

I do not think your Chipset is supported.

I have a Lenovo M712e, which nearly works in IDE Mode and native graphics, but locks up occasionally.

But my Asus H1000 Netbook works perfectly.
J
JumpingKiwiJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
[mail][/mail]Obviously this is my own personal opinion it doesn't count for anything but it desperately needs a look uder the hood at chipsets and drivers since it's just had a facelift.

Compatibility for full HD ports for as many chipsets as possible over different DVI and HDMI outputs is the way to go because it would never be adopted without it as the old CRT's and TFT monitors are not sensible to use as a primary choice iver VGA for AROS nowdays because theose monitors are beginning to die off and dissapear.

Each year there are less new one's left and even less old second hand one's on eg. Ebay so your sort of holding back for way too long, without eventually paying hundreds for some niche brand new custom monitor if they even remain on sale at that stage then eventually it would be like trying to find a brandnew tube telly (TV) or new CRT TV today to buy, and using that for a specific purpose.

They won't really exist and there won't be any choice in which to buy and it definitely won't be economially viable, and in turn that will kill off the operating sytem it' would be like now after Commodore them selves have died off and an Amiga 1200 will cost around £500 and that's second hand used and abused to enth degree.

AROS is targeting to narrow a view and too niche a requirement of hardware right now that really needs more models so more people get involved and the community can grow, otherwise you relegated to obscurity forever

I can honestly see there being a more affordable FPGA hardware at some stage from Vampire or another group not this A600GS fronm Amigakit something better with no emulation a native FPGA or hardware device that will breathe new life again in the Commodore community I don't think that os even Retro Games Ltd's new full size Amiga eithe,, but greed is prohibiting that day presently with £799 pricing etc for Vampire systems etc but it could and likely will emerge in time over some years but this is what AROS could break the mould being free and compatible with more PC hardware way before then, if the drivers allow more than a handful of compurters and netbooks etc to install it, it might achieve higher recognition and it does deserve it!

In it's present form It just isn't installable for nearly every person on Earth right now without the addition of drivers embeded or hardware compatiblility in the installer, you simply cannot use it in the majority of cases and that is really a shame because it's so damn good it really is.

But looking at the compatibility lists it's 80% VESA only that's like giving someone a free bike with no pedals and saying use your feet to push if the motherboard is HDMI or DVI output and your only providing VGA output for the boards intergrated grapghics it's like half finishing and then moving on to the next one???

Or like selling someone a supercar like a Zonda or Lamborghini but with a bog standard fiesta 1.0 litre engine in it instead of the full spec engine.

My view if I could do it would be I would use the next 6 months making drivers work for all the graphocs and graphics cards I could get all those incompatible items on the device list compatible as well make them green across the board then get some atom chipsets and i5 and i7 chipsets functioning to to future proof the OS compatibility and make it more widely usable on more modern compiters as well. In turn you goromw the userbase and community and development engagement.
Edited by JumpingKiwi on 18-07-2024 14:55, 2 months ago
N
ntromansMember
Posted 2 months ago
Hi JumpingKiwi,
Re. your Intel D945GSEJT, do you have video from the VGA port? Of so you could try a VGA to HDMI adpapter - I use one for my Samsumg N130 (looks to be a very similar chipset to your machine) to connect to our big TV and AROS picks up the possible screenmodes fine through that.

Cheers,
Nigel.
J
JumpingKiwiJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago

ntromans wrote:

@ntromans - Hi JumpingKiwi,
Re. your Intel D945GSEJT, do you have video from the VGA port? Of so you could try a VGA to HDMI adpapter - I use one for my Samsumg N130 (looks to be a very similar chipset to your machine) to connect to our big TV and AROS picks up the possible screenmodes fine through that.

Cheers,
Nigel.
Thanks yeah I am only finding hdmi to vga got some but no vga to HDMI devices on ebay they ate absolutely aflood with the vice versa of what you need they all look the same although there were those adaptors everywhere at one stage I know they haven't got a switch on mine to reverse the signal like old scart cables with rca ends did have, if you can find one in ebay please let me have a link as it's causing me a major headache now trying to get something you can actually rely on being described as thexright item. Will scout Amazon they've often been a rip off after introducing that $25 or more free delivery they just bolt stupid money onto the regular price of the item to deliver it as much again as it is to buy it comparitive to Ebay Amazon is a joke now on small items.

Bjt really glad to know it works for you as I suspected it would to be honest I'll try this last one here incase it has reverse sognal on it but if not I need to scout for a vga to HDMI again

Found them the previous search criteria was no longer vringing them up like it used to, so writing a new search found a handful of sellers they are definitely become far less available like they used to be before, there were only about 10 sellers I found selling them now so will get one asap.
Edited by JumpingKiwi on 18-07-2024 21:13, 2 months ago
N
ntromansMember
Posted 2 months ago

JumpingKiwi wrote:

Thanks yeah I am only finding hdmi to vga got some but no vga to HDMI devices on ebay they ate absolutely aflood with the vice versa of what you need they all look the same although there were those adaptors everywhere at one stage I know they haven't got a switch on mine to reverse the signal like old scart cables with rca ends did have, if you can find one in ebay please let me have a link as it's causing me a major headache now trying to get something you can actually rely on being described as thexright item. Will scout Amazon they've often been a rip off after introducing that $25 or more free delivery they just bolt stupid money onto the regular price of the item to deliver it as much again as it is to buy it comparitive to Ebay Amazon is a joke now on small items.

Bjt really glad to know it works for you as I suspected it would to be honest I'll try this last one here incase it has reverse sognal on it but if not I need to scout for a vga to HDMI again

Found them the previous search criteria was no longer vringing the. up like it used to so a new search found a handful of sellers they are definitely become far less available like they used to be before only about 10 I found sell they so will get one .

I'm using using one from Foinnex - looks like it's still avaialble on Amazom UK (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-FOINNEX-Computer-Projector-Portable-VGA-HDMI-Adapter/dp/B072NCTBVP)

Cheers,
Nigel.
J
JumpingKiwiJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago

ntromans wrote:

@ntromans -

JumpingKiwi wrote:

Found them the previous search criteria was no longer vringing the. up like it used to so a new search found a handful of sellers they are definitely become far less available like they used to be before only about 10 I found sell they so will get one .

I'm using using one from Foinnex - looks like it's still avaialble on Amazom UK (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-FOINNEX-Computer-Projector-Portable-VGA-HDMI-Adapter/dp/B072NCTBVP)

Cheers,
Nigel.
Thanks I appreciate that, yeah as I susoected they are not cheap on Amazon when your factoring in the delivery on top of everything as well if not paying for prime, but I'll make that ia fall back item because I found one in the end that is about £8-9 on ebay it has a totally different look and design, but generally I realized the way to know what your looking at in any image with these VGA to HDMI adadaptors have male vVGA pins and HDMI to VGA adaptors have a blue coloured female conmector face for the VGA port as that's VGA input then not output.

But yeah thanks for that item link is very handy to have.

I took a look at Haiku as well earlier out of pure curiosity and low and behold the same issue occurs with iHi Def output on both Atom machines they are also noticably unable to project the bios boot menu options in full screen either over HDMI or DVI ports so it's missing any preloading driver but also the same would hapoen as with AROS in Windows 7 it had no driver that allowed full resokution until maually installing it Windows did not embed it or find it it came on the disc which failed it worked in think it was vista basic but it took absoljtely forever to dig for it for 7 32bit on the net I mean ages it was so hard to find it still in existance where you had a working download link instead of a dead one.

I also found stupidly testing win 11 lol that it found that auto but I think or 10 did but it ran obviously like the worlds biggest sloth lol.

It needs these atom cpu's to have the Hi Def added but until then it's going to be settling for a converter. Let you know how that goes when the day I get one.

But if someone wants to make a ultra vaby layman's tutorial video showing everyone how you port a driver for graphics maybe other hardware then I'd get straight on the boards I have here and model one I'd want one for everything motherboard wise I can find in the back room lol just to make it work for them all and that would give others the opprtunitycto use way more motherboards AM2/AM3/FM2 and Intel ranges of i series 115x and the 4590T.

To me it would be interesting to learn it even if it is only for a few boards it would expand the compatibility massively just for the exploration and perseverence would be paramount no stopping until each is done but it's getting someone to generate a video tutorial fit for a baby to use is the key.

It is development but it doesn't need to be complex if they record it with a simple voice guidance for each thing installed and each thing you change and add in lines of code or you build in something like some sdk as long as it's baby steps I'd have a major hard try at it.

For me it would be let's see what spec we can get up if it's possible. With what is laying around here unised.

But the start point would be the two Atom chips getting gpu's compatible and outputting HI Def over the native HDMI and DVI outputs firstly.
Edited by JumpingKiwi on 18-07-2024 21:45, 2 months ago
pixiepixieMember
Posted 2 months ago

JumpingKiwi wrote:

Or like selling someone a supercar like a Zonda or Lamborghini but with a bog standard fiesta 1.0 litre engine in it instead of the full spec engine.

I have no doubt how fast AROS is, but indeed it seems hindered by lack of drivers, and what users perceive is what they think it's its potential. Take 68k, is the underneath core that slow as it appears to be on a low spec system? No, it is mainly do to graphics part not be optimized.

Regarding a platform such as x86 it another can of worms altogether, there's so much motherboards, so many gfx boards out there, how can it be sustainable to support them all? Perhaps having a system to behave like amithlon, where Linux is installed underneath just to run AROS hosted could do it, all hidden from the user... I guess that AROS hosted "gfx drivers" (for the lack of a better word) are faster then those VESA ones used by native build.
J
JumpingKiwiJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago

pixie wrote:

@pixie -

JumpingKiwi wrote:

I have no doubt how fast AROS is, but indeed it seems hindered by lack of drivers, and what users perceive is what they think it's its potential. Take 68k, is the underneath core that slow as it appears to be on a low spec system? No, it is mainly do to graphics part not be optimized.

Regarding a platform such as x86 it another can of worms altogether, there's so much motherboards, so many gfx boards out there, how can it be sustainable to support them all? Perhaps having a system to behave like amithlon, where Linux is installed underneath just to run AROS hosted could do it, all hidden from the user... I guess that AROS hosted "gfx drivers" (for the lack of a better word) are faster then those VESA ones used by native build.
Yeah AROS and AROS ONe can't get the recognitionthey justly deserve or the userbase increase they deserve and or programmers hooked in not until something is done about the driver support for chipsets and video cards both igpu and native pci-e based gpu plug in cards, it's like that movie field of dreams the voice says "if You Build It...He Will Come!" and the same applies here the saying being "If You Build The Drivers...They Will Come!"
Edited by JumpingKiwi on 19-07-2024 16:00, 2 months ago
A
Posted 2 months ago
there used to be more developers now the situation has changed for a long time, at the moment only Deadwood has taken over the situation the new code comes from other developers two or three I think, I do everything with aros, I use mainly the browser and I have access to many services of primary necessity, I have a good hardware even if not very modern, of course if you expect Aros to keep up with the current standards of the mainstream maybe it's too much, precisely because the forces available are few to go on, why do I use aros? because for me it's AmigaSmile
J
JumpingKiwiJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago

Amiwell79 wrote:

@Amiwell79 - there used to be more developers now the situation has changed for a long time, at the moment only Deadwood has taken over the situation the new code comes from other developers two or three I think, I do everything with aros, I use mainly the browser and I have access to many services of primary necessity, I have a good hardware even if not very modern, of course if you expect Aros to keep up with the current standards of the mainstream maybe it's too much, precisely because the forces available are few to go on, why do I use aros? because for me it's AmigaSmile
It's not that I specifically want it to be modern as possible because it's speed I am after no it's well if your going to use it you want soemthing you can use it on there is no choice in what to use it on really your assigning a OS to less than a dedicated niche unabailable barely handful of computers still which not one has 100% compatibility so far years on from inception if were talking from Aros inception that's over 20 years and not one completed machine on thatcompatibilty list still nothing green lit what so ever.

So what I a. most concerned with is the hardware dissapears comlletely or becomrs so in demand with supply bejng none exostent that you'll be paying hundreds for a abismal Acer Aspire One next just to slap aros on it or trying to find some none existent aged out system no linger found your killing it off your self effectively by not adding at least a handful of more mldern motherboards and cpu's any way your nailing a coffin shut deliberately to be honest is the way to look at it.

I have ordered a VGA to HDMI just so it can be viewed the very last of just 2-3 models even remaining on thexwhole of ebay see once there gone 99.99% of devices on earth won't run Aros so whose going to be using it then unless they bought up all tbe devices on the compatibilty list before they dissapeared which lets face it looms closer day by day that's the state and position it's at now very soon ithere just won't be a valid way nor reason tp try to run it.
A
Posted 2 months ago
not so I have tried aros on many computers and it worked as it still does on my xeon workstation, the compatibility list should be revised
J
JumpingKiwiJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago

Amiwell79 wrote:

@Amiwell79 - not so I have tried aros on many computers and it worked as it still does on my xeon workstation, the compatibility list should be revised
Well Xeon is a mixed bag of ages are we talking last years a decade old or 15-20yrs as I used to have a dual xeon proliant server back about 10 years old and that aged big time then at least 10-15 prior to that eara when I was gifted it.

I have a box full of cpu's some boards all I tried failed haven't tried an i7 micro board yet, again your talking a system with a 1-4x pci-e slot no full size gpu slot for a real x16 card so that means back to intel igpu it's that that's Aros's biggest problem with the compatibility list thus far iAros seems to have a pure hatred for any so called modern and by modern we mean last 10 years age or younger igpu's really it does from what I saw in testing, but I'll have a go.

And yeah absolutely the compatibility list needs to be revised for definite and on an a regular and ongoing basis.

I can tell you that the Minix HD Mini D250 works it got into the system over HDMI utilizing the drive by transplanting it from another natively supported Atom board the one mentioned which is the D945GSEJT but the graphics are garbled when in HDMI but it does output natively from the HDMI port which is something, it only needs a driver to launch properly and it should work.

The D945GSEJT does output over vga only so also needs the driver to fully support it's native DVI port.

If someone builds them we can test everything else works for the Minix HD Mini we might then have two working machines to add to the list then.

And for all machines what could be a valuable software would be some cpu tdp power throttling tool so we can bring down processor power consumption to reduce wattage being consumed and make some older high power machines lower cost to run.

You won't want to run xeon's though in a server really becausexthey tend to blow massive amounts of electric they guzzle it like it's out of fashion on the old model lines definitely and you definitely do not want dual xeon's that's for sure they can use between 1000-2500 watts power consumption you may as well run a tumble dryer all day and a Atom based computer simultaneously instead lol.

Well just found it runs off the i7 board when you prebuild on something I don't know what that was unfortunately now, but I presume that what I built it prior where it partially installed and failed mid build so what I'll try is building it fully working on the D945GSEJT so it's working with vesa and then transplant the hard drive back to this i7 and run it over HDMI and see if anything works at all it did before on the half finished install it was giving infinite errors for missing system files not installed so we'll see?

It's kind of like cross-flashing on phone and tv box firmwares but without the exact same device it's not harmful on a pc hard drive luckily but will probably fail to add some things and or throw errors cross your fingers job on that I think.

If not this might work for many boards you'd first need something native to transplant from to kind of trick it.

UPDATE:

Tried cross flashing it with the OS on the :

.D945GSEJT Intel Motherboard an Atom system

Swapped that hard drive to a mini itx i7 motherboard socket 1151 Model:

MSI - 7677_VER: 1.2

With a matched pair of 8gb Kingston KVR ram sticks

Pluggen into HDMI port and ran the OS from the menu in 1280x1024 VESA True Colour node

Everything boots and sound works natively the sound does not output over HDMI but over the Audio output on the case and direct motherboard audio connector.

So it seems getting it running on a peice of old sh@t first with all fully working then transplanting your drive to a new machine seems to carry the build over which is totally rad I was just using a 50" TV with it playing a demoscene clip for a test it's the fuurtheset I've gone so far but it's looking like it's a workaround for systems with no gpu HDMI output during installs for the use of modern chipsets and modern cpu's that's wicked.

I've been unable to try an FM2 think their burnet out on the onboard graphics really common way way to common on Asrock boards of that era probably still is lol all their boards seem to overheat on the onboard graphics for some reason old ones definitely do as well going back 15years probably before that but FM2 and AM2 Asrock errgh horrible cheapo models just popcorn all the time.

Other Board Fully Working Trying DemoScene Content With
Sound tried over headphone output.

GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2 (motherboard)
AMD Athlon X250 cpu
2gb of 1gb sticks matched pair crucial ddr2

FAILED BOARD:

ASROCK N68C-S UCC (motherboard)
Phenom II x6 1055T (cpu)
ELPIDA DDR3 1gb 10600U

Voots to menu to select video chosing 1024x768 results in permenent blsck screen as if booting bit stuck without video ouput. All other video options give the mesaage no signal on screen.

Trying to bokt the Phenom system with a pci wifi card model:

AMATEL WN5301A-H1-V02

Prevents any choice working it just black screens before reaching it's video select mode screen.

Got more boards all missing heatsinks now so can't test any of them unfortunately without some 3D printing tuition and diagram etc sto make mounting brackets but did my best they should go on the compatibility list the two working one's for sure with guidance to state you have to write a working release to a native system then boot it on the other board might even be my actual model to do it?

That's the
D945GSEJT motherboard

But I will hazzard a guess any fully built hard drive made in AROS or AROS ONE that has native sound and graphics or vesa going will likely work as it may build in VESA but it will work then choosing native on these other boards over HDMI etc.

Been messing around for hours on end to devise that list. Hope someone gets one working bringing more AROS users into the fold.

Remember Native does not work only VESA graphics bht they work through HDMI if the cross flashing of a drive works you should see the menu to choose visllldeo options appearing in full screen before booting a choice it's an indicator of a working video card.

Power consumption test for the MSI - 7677_VER: 1.2 idle wattage usage is just under 50 watts between 48-49.9w ranges running demoscene content is
hitting 56.-59 watts.
Edited by JumpingKiwi on 22-07-2024 23:32, 2 months ago
A
Posted 2 months ago
I understand you are trying some hardware you have and unfortunately aros doesn't work or partially on some boards, I actually tried aros on several computers as I told you none of them were modern now I have an HP Z400 I can disable the CPU cores it has PCIE x16 slots it works fine, Honestly I don't care if it's 10 years old hardware, I care if it's in good condition and works, once upon a time you could buy the computer for aros at the supermarket, I remember when the first i3s came out everything worked except for a few things like the network card that you had to get separately as well as the graphics card if not it would go on the shelf without problems.
J
JumpingKiwiJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago

Amiwell79 wrote:

@Amiwell79 - I understand you are trying some hardware you have and unfortunately aros doesn't work or partially on some boards, I actually tried aros on several computers as I told you none of them were modern now I have an HP Z400 I can disable the CPU cores it has PCIE x16 slots it works fine, Honestly I don't care if it's 10 years old hardware, I care if it's in good condition and works, once upon a time you could buy the computer for aros at the supermarket, I remember when the first i3s came out everything worked except for a few things like the network card that you had to get separately as well as the graphics card if not it would go on the shelf without problems.
Just listed them for others trying to run it, i3's are sh@t to be honest most arexdual core crap definitely better than any Atom I've seen yet though not good processors still good for AROS though irrespective but yeah they are pretty sh@t I wouldn't ever buy one that's for sure, Xeon's are far more respectable for the majority and they last a lifetime and then some being more industrial, but you could buy a few computers for what you pay for their uneconimical nature of the power consumption with them, you could buy a couple or few new machines for the price you pay to run one a year solid say unless they are some modern ultra energy efficient model.

For the majority of basic end users your talking sensible in going for i3-(last resort lol) i5 i7 possibly even an i9 but i9 is goign to be total overkill not that it hurts it's better, but again they are not going to be energy efficient or fair on the wallet neither generally speaking are i7's often but they can be in the itx form factor systems or using smaller itx boards really they all depend on looking what tdp they use, well half of the processors them might be efficient they are all trying to parallel power efficiency with power to compute now to be honest there's a president for both being fair power and cost to run in production stage and some chips are good for both, whilst others not so much going back around 10-12 years and more processors ate loads of power prodominantly, you can say you get good and bad in that spectrum but each to their own and what you've got is what you've got to try iAROSvwith but personally I would never encourage someone to go out and buy either a xeon of any kind or any brand new machine without absokute certanty it works to try it it on due to cost of and electricity with a xeon being a b@tch for draining the juice not to say it won't be good comoutationallyand have some longevity oh it definitely will but it's not economically viable to even use second hand xeon systems that aren't high efficiency and let me guess those break into hundreds to buy a model that's complete to use with low consumption at the wall. I see a great many keeping their price that are possibly efficient on the lokes of ebay but your narrowing the window of availability seeking them out apposed to a functioning i5-i7 say if lots of those can be published to that comoatibility list that would be great if it were listing all the low cost models not the beastly break bank models for everything then we'd be gettign somewhere fast.

In the bios you can disable cores and tune some machines regarding cpu's not every board has that but yeah I'll check it later not slept so will get back on that subject a little later once I check the i7.

The Xeon systems do this cpu downgrade is lowering itcto a power equal to the I5-i7 range most of them are that speed of cpu spec any way unless high grade dual cpu models so you'd be wasting your money on it unless it's sat there already you'd be buying it for nothing more than an i5-7 or i9 in some cases can do better speed wise they aren't madexfor this they are made for durability prodominantly.

It's cheaper to both buy and run i series machines possibly ryzen's etc if they might also word some AMD's no idea if AMD are even compatible it definitely hates the Phenom II x6 1055T that's for sure I popped in another actually a x2 64 of some number model and that was rejected as well think I tried 3 including the Phenom so I'd stick to intel my self. A Ryzen would be quite efficient a fair few will be I presume.
Edited by JumpingKiwi on 22-07-2024 23:59, 2 months ago
R
retrofazaJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
Everyone would like AROS to run on the hardware they happen to have at home. Currently this is not possible, due to the lack of people who can create drivers. Therefore, a list of recommended hardware was created:

https://en.wikibo...d_hardware

Currently there are 2 laptops, 1 complete desktop system and 6 motherboards on it. There is a lot to choose from and these boards are available online. Of course, it's not perfect, but it's still more hardware and this hardware is more powerful and much cheaper than the equivalents for AmigaOS or MorphOS. We have a niche hobbyist operating system, so we can't compare ourselves to the mainstream, but rather to the rest of “AmigaNG.”
A
Posted 2 months ago
Retrofaza other computers tested by me are missing

HP Z400 Tower System IDE/RAID+ACHI graphics card and network card to be taken apart you can disable the cpu cores for energy saving.

Laptop Acer Aspire 5630 Model with nvidia graphics card, need to change compatible wifi card, LAN not compatible

Netbook Samsung NC10 fully compatible except for lan
Edited by Amiwell79 on 23-07-2024 04:29, 2 months ago
J
JumpingKiwiJunior Member
Posted 2 months ago
ToshibacSatellite P770/P775
Geforce GT 540m graphics

Tested only in demoscene playback

Will only work boot into VESA video modes appears to be extremely fast sound works but the media
touch control bar does not.

This has to be loaded via a cross flash from a fully working system for this I used the hard drive pre built and running fine fron the:

D945GSEJT intel motherboard

I got some errors trying to use the search tpol after which I had to reboot because it would linger in the menu bar area indefinitely and hard drive read errors were occuring which I'd argue is a hard drive defect but being as it works well on everything else I cannot say that it is and do doubt that it could just be soem apps causing issues here when utilizing specific apps and or parts of the file system.

It's something only in depth playing with it will answer fully.
Edited by JumpingKiwi on 23-07-2024 12:39, 2 months ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: AMIGASYSTEM, pixie, ntromans, retrofaza, Amiwell79, Derek, JumpingKiwi
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 8
Members Online 0

Total Members: 251
Newest Member: SwedishJohan
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]