Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

AROS-Exec down (for good?)

Last updated on 7 months ago
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 7 months ago
It's looking good so far.

I recognize my most recent topic near the top of the list.

Great work! We all appreciate it.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 7 months ago
Great news to start the day Smile
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago
Well there you have it folks!!! AROS-Exec now lives again inside AROS World as AROS World Exec.

https://ae.arosworld.org

All user accounts are still there with the same password, so you should be able to login.
New registrations are also working.
All forums are there as well as attachments to external links.

However, I am still facing a strange issue and that is the avatars that were images uploaded to the forum are not working. Yes, they are there in the correct location but for some odd reason, SMF won't display them. To fix that, you can simply re-upload the image to make a new avatar and the newly uploaded image will work.

Files that were attached to forum posts are also having issues. Files are there in the correct location but encoded in way that I have no clue how. For example, a file uploaded/attached to a forum thread called RNOSlides.zip is encoded with a number like "1005_ed3232e9250f956ec810de2d919eb3a814f565c9". It's very difficult to match them up. I am still looking for a fix to this solution but in the meantime everything else should work.

As you login and find any other issues, please do report them inside the AROS -World- Exec.

Now the question about these two different forums persists. What to do with these two sites? Share your opinion below and before you ask, no it's too much work to combine the two into one. Just a lot of database maneuvering and two different systems.

Also, SMF files from 4pLaY are an older version (2.0.19) They are kind of outdated. There are also multiple modules, packages that are no longer maintained (i.e. the paypal module). There some work/test to be done to bring SMF to version 2.1.4 but I'll have to do some reading about it.

Last but not least, I am looking for a volunteer to help me with maintenance of AROS World Exec. Must have a good familiarity with SMF and LAMP hosting services. PM me if interested.
amigamia attached the following image:
screen_shot_2023-10-05_at_63726_pm.png
M
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 7 months ago
I like the progress you've made.

I wouldn't combine the two sites. But perhaps make AROS World Exec a Read-Only forum archive so that we don't have so much cross traffic with a forum inside a forum. But use it for reference. Someone else may have a different idea.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

miker1264 wrote:

@miker1264 - I like the progress you've made.

I wouldn't combine the two sites. But perhaps make AROS World Exec a Read-Only forum archive so that we don't have so much cross traffic with a forum inside a forum. But use it for reference. Someone else may have a different idea.

Good idea! I put it in maintenance mode for now until I figure out the best way to set it in read-only mode. Waiting for more members to share their opinion.
pixiepixieJunior Member
Posted 7 months ago
Say there's something interesting you want to add to a given thread you find in AE, you post it in AW in a new thread, how you got there will be lost unless the user links back to it... say that when you do a reply it start a new thread in AW with all the links in place so a new thread is generated (if there isn't one already) and one can still backtrace it and see how the thread has evolved.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

pixie wrote:

@pixie - Say there's something interesting you want to add to a given thread you find in AE, you post it in AW in a new thread, how you got there will be lost unless the user links back to it... say that when you do a reply it start a new thread in AW with all the links in place so a new thread is generated (if there isn't one already) and one can still backtrace it and see how the thread has evolved.

So, let me make sure I understood your reply. You are suggesting to keep the lights on in AE but in a read-only role and link anything from AE into AW as to bridge the two when needed? That way AW is primary R/W and AE is secondary as a Read only?
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago
Well then, AROS-Exec is now out of maintenance mode and I have set member access to read-only for the mean time.
pixiepixieJunior Member
Posted 7 months ago

amigamia wrote:

So, let me make sure I understood your reply. You are suggesting to keep the lights on in AE but in a read-only role and link anything from AE into AW as to bridge the two when needed? That way AW is primary R/W and AE is secondary as a Read only?

I think that would make the most sense, it would be like a time vault, but where one could pick some threads and continue it to enrich it, through ArosWorld. I don't think there's much need to write it back onto, but I would for once appreciate a seamless integration, one might bump onto something interesting, at least this way one would easily keep the thought thread going.

Take EAB, I have set a special search site using google so whenever I want to search for an amiga related issue I use this search engine and google present me with all the threads relevant. People talk about resurrecting old threads, but what's better, to create parallel threads with the same content over and over again or see whatever problems people may already bumped on the same software/hardware? For me time is of no essence in these matters...
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 7 months ago
After giving some more thoughts, I'd say that my ideal AROS World would be... like all other amiga sites out there:

1) Public Forum
1.1) Responsive
1.2) Showing topics that have recent discussion / recent topics
1.3) Mark topic read. Mark topic unread. (unread being at top of my wish list)
1.4) Ability for a member to start a pool
1.5) Ability to attach small files and pictures to post
1.6) Don't have to wait 60 seconds to make another post
1.7) Working code tag
2) Private messages
2.1) Grouped by sender/discussion
3) News section
3.1) Ability for a member to submit news article
4) User galleries
4.1) Ability for a member to upload pictures to his gallery

As for my proffered way of achieving that, it would be by upgrading existing A-E to latest version of SMF and installing these modules for articles and gallery (https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=1354, https://custom.si...p?mod=473) or alternatively this (https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=97)

Bonus features for me would be:
5) Web links directory (alternatively handles by a sticky topic within forum)
6) Downloads section (but here, I personally would default to uploading to AROS archives, instead of AROS World to maintain single place of reference)
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

deadwood wrote:

@deadwood - After giving some more thoughts, I'd say that my ideal AROS World would be... like all other amiga sites out there:

1) Public Forum
1.1) Responsive
1.2) Showing topics that have recent discussion / recent topics
1.3) Mark topic read. Mark topic unread. (unread being at top of my wish list)
1.4) Ability for a member to start a pool
1.5) Ability to attach small files and pictures to post
1.6) Don't have to wait 60 seconds to make another post
1.7) Working code tag
2) Private messages
2.1) Grouped by sender/discussion
3) News section
3.1) Ability for a member to submit news article
4) User galleries
4.1) Ability for a member to upload pictures to his gallery

As for my proffered way of achieving that, it would be by upgrading existing A-E to latest version of SMF and installing these modules for articles and gallery (https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=1354, https://custom.si...p?mod=473) or alternatively this (https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?mod=97)

Bonus features for me would be:
5) Web links directory (alternatively handles by a sticky topic within forum)
6) Downloads section (but here, I personally would default to uploading to AROS archives, instead of AROS World to maintain single place of reference)

Hi deadwood, thank you for your feedback. I see your points and all are valid requests but I can't help notice that some of them are already active and working here on AROSWorld running with PHP-Fusion. Here are my responses to some of them:

1) Public Forum
1.1) Responsive (I don't recall that being a problem)
1.2) Showing topics that have recent discussion / recent topics (They are already on the main page)
1.3) Mark topic read. Mark topic unread. (unread being at top of my wish list) (Topics are marked read automatically when you open them. Not sure about unread. That has never been such a concern of major request)
1.4) Ability for a member to start a pool (I think you meant poll here but yes, it's available for users to start polls in forum ports, but turned off. Easy to turn on)
1.5) Ability to attach small files and pictures to post (It's already there and available. See some of my posts)
1.6) Don't have to wait 60 seconds to make another post (That can be adjusted. It's to protect the forum from getting flooded with multiple posts if a spammer gets in)
1.7) Working code tag (What's not working? There are a few tags available. May need a few more?)
2) Private messages
2.1) Grouped by sender/discussion (These are private messages to you directly from other users. It's just an inbox like your email box. Grouping is by sender already)
3) News section
3.1) Ability for a member to submit news article (That is already a thing. All you need is to Submit News. The menu is under your profile personal menu. Click on Submit)
4) User galleries
4.1) Ability for a member to upload pictures to his gallery (That is already a thing as well. You should be able to submit pictures. The submissions are approved by an admin to prevent any profanity or inappropriate content)
5) Web links directory (alternatively handles by a sticky topic within forum) (Already a thing, check weblinks)
6) Downloads section (but here, I personally would default to uploading to AROS archives, instead of AROS World to maintain single place of reference) (Already a thing. Check downloads)

I think going in the direction of SMF seems like re-inventing the wheel for the most part. The only item I agree with you that does need some fixing is the code tag in the forum posts. For that I have a ticket on the PHP-Fusion main forum and just waiting for a developer to chime in. It is an open-source project so it moves at a speed of an open-source project.
D
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 7 months ago
Don't get me wrong - I'm happy to continue with the PHP Fusion if that's your call. It indeed checks most of my boxes (I didn't know I can submit news and gallery, thanks). My preference goes to SMF simply due to familiarity aspect and I understand the re-configuring it would be re-investing what it there right now.

I think the current setup, apart from code tag issue (loosing indentation) I'd be happy if there was more control over read/unread so that I could mark a topic as unread in order to reply to it "later".

As for responsiveness, I'll start a separate thread on this.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

However, I am still facing a strange issue and that is the avatars that were images uploaded to the forum are not working. Yes, they are there in the correct location but for some odd reason, SMF won't display them. To fix that, you can simply re-upload the image to make a new avatar and the newly uploaded image will work.

Files that were attached to forum posts are also having issues. Files are there in the correct location but encoded in way that I have no clue how. For example, a file uploaded/attached to a forum thread called RNOSlides.zip is encoded with a number like "1005_ed3232e9250f956ec810de2d919eb3a814f565c9". It's very difficult to match them up. I am still looking for a fix to this solution but in the meantime everything else should work.

Another good news! I think I managed to resolve the forum attachments problem. I had to do a lot of testing but in the end, it boils down to this matter: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=374178.0

Basically, the attachments are encoded in the attachments folder with a new name based on <attachment id>_<file hash> and NO extension. However, when using FileZeilla FTP client to transfer the files over to the hosting service, the files with no extension are copied over as ASCII files which messes up the line endings in the file. The solution is to uncheck "Treat files without extension as ASCII file." when transferring these types of files. I re-uploaded them with this check mark off and I can see the files attached now.

The Avatars are also in the same location, and they should have been fixed as well but doesn't seem to be the case yet. It is something to do with the MySQL table, which contains the avatars. That seems to be odd because it has a different suffix than the rest of the tables. Also, some IDs are not corresponding. I am still looking into this, but I believe I have pin-pointed the location of the problem.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 7 months ago
Ah, I didn't thought of that one as I usually archive everything and unarchive at the destination (preserving orignal attributes and all that).

Thank you for having figured that out and pointing to the link. I'll keep note of it in my installation instructions.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

amigamia wrote:

@amigamia -

Another good news! I think I managed to resolve the forum attachments problem. I had to do a lot of testing but in the end, it boils down to this matter: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=374178.0

Basically, the attachments are encoded in the attachments folder with a new name based on <attachment id>_<file hash> and NO extension. However, when using FileZeilla FTP client to transfer the files over to the hosting service, the files with no extension are copied over as ASCII files which messes up the line endings in the file. The solution is to uncheck "Treat files without extension as ASCII file." when transferring these types of files. I re-uploaded them with this check mark off and I can see the files attached now.

The Avatars are also in the same location, and they should have been fixed as well but doesn't seem to be the case yet. It is something to do with the MySQL table, which contains the avatars. That seems to be odd because it has a different suffix than the rest of the tables. Also, some IDs are not corresponding. I am still looking into this, but I believe I have pin-pointed the location of the problem.

Well second good news! This was simpler than I was expecting. After browsing from another computer, I noticed the avatars were working just fine. Cache anyone?? Yup, that's what it all was. A simple cache clear from my trusted browser and avatars are up and running among all other attachments.

SO!!! At this point I think AWE (Aros World Exec) is ready for prime time and to be re-activated again. I am thinking of flipping the status and set AW in read-only and AWE in R/W for a while until ARW becomes the only site.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 7 months ago

magorium wrote:

@magorium - Ah, I didn't thought of that one as I usually archive everything and unarchive at the destination (preserving orignal attributes and all that).

Thank you for having figured that out and pointing to the link. I'll keep note of it in my installation instructions.

No worries Magorium. It was like eye opening when I saw this, but I had to use different keywords for the search to find this. I think it is pretty clean now. I can't see anything else out of the ordinary. I'll open it up for users to start posting sometime mid-week. Maybe I'll just post an announcement first.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: amigamia, magorium, deadwood, Argo, AMIGASYSTEM, pixie, cdimauro, miker1264
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 7
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]