Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

How to install icaros 2.0 into my laptop from USB?

Last updated on 9 years ago
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Hi xboxown,

You have to pardon my icaros 2.0 ignorance as it is so fresh that i still haven't figured out where everything is located :D

In the old 1.5 2 icaors desktop manual there is a special chapter about installing icaros to a USB pen-drive.

You have two options:

Either install icaros as 'real' os (can be a full icaros install) and boot your pendrive on the machine you want to install icaros to. then you can run the installer. This will give you a bare minimum AROS installation on the machine (depending on your pendrive installation), but you can add files from the iso (manually and at any time).

The second option is to create a special install usb pendrive (also described in icaros desktop 1.5.2 manual). This installs a bare minimal icaros to the pendrive, but in opposite to the earlier mentioned method will contains all installation files (archives). You boot that pendrive on the machine on which you want to install aros and run the installation as well. Because it contains all the installation files, you do not have to manually add files, and if everything goes alright will install icaros completely to your machine.

In addition to that (which i initially forgot to write) is that you need to find a wy to install to the pendrive to begin with. Amigamia already pointed out a relevant thread. In short, boot from your dvd/cd, insert pendrive and install to the pendrive, or as i usual do i install icaros firstly into a virtual machine and install to a pendrive from there.

Reason to do the latter is because i can use a much more powerful machine to do that and also gives me an opportunity to check out aros/icaros in a nice protected environment.

Strictly technically speaking you could also reach the same goal by using the qemu virtualization that is accompanied with the icaros dvd archive (.exe which is actually a .7z file which can be extracted and contains qemu as well). But i hardly use qemu myself. Th process is described either in the icaros desktop manual, on icarosdesktop.org blog or aros-exec.org forums (sorry, i don't recall where exactly).

(please do note amigamia's thread and wiping your pendrive in case of troubles. few people experience this issue).

In the hope its helpfull,
Edited by magorium on 31-10-2014 23:09, 9 years ago
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago

xboxown wrote:

I am right now download icaros version 2.0 in 52 minutes it will be in my HD. My question, if I want to put this in memory stick and then install it from my memory stick to my main HD how do I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance.

Take a look at this forum thread: http://arosworld.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=89&highlight=USB&pid=510#post_507
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
I am right now download icaros version 2.0 in 52 minutes it will be in my HD. My question, if I want to put this in memory stick and then install it from my memory stick to my main HD how do I go about doing that?

Thanks in advance.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: amigamia, magorium, xboxown
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 1
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]