Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Thanks for letting me in. ;)

Last updated on 9 years ago
DolcettoDolcettoNewbie
Posted 10 years ago
Hello there! :D
I'm a newbie in the Amiga world, curious and excited about a new discovery, AROS! :D
Using it on VMWare adn partially supported hardware (waiting to find a fully supported configuration and build my own AROS machine), I'd like to make my part in the development of this amazing OS. :)
Well, there's nothing more to say, except I'm glad I can discuss here. ^_^
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 10 years ago
Welcome to ArosWorld :)

Most of us are long time Amiga fans. So I'm somewhat curious about how you discovered Amiga, and AROS, in the post desktop era?

Anyway, good luck in building an AROS machine. Sometimes it can be a challenge to find an AROS compatible setup. But there is some online help available.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_support

And people here are always available to answer newbie questions ;)

Thanks for saying hello :)
DolcettoDolcettoNewbie
Posted 10 years ago
Well, that's quite simple. :) Putting away the technical side of computer science, I often act like a sort of... historian, and I've any problem in admitting that most of times I prefer the old environment... ^^" One day, I thought of that strange machine... how was that? Right, "Amiga". All I knew was just that the machine had its own grafical OS, so I became curious about it. I didn't know it was called "workbench", so I searched fo "Amiga OS", and I found OS4. Starting from the OS4 point I went backward to the old Amiga history. :)
DolcettoDolcettoNewbie
Posted 10 years ago
By the way, that avatar of yours... I saw it before. If I remeber rightly, it was on a page with a game store ad... and the apre was grabbing a pad. :D
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 10 years ago
Amiga certainly has a place in computer history. Imo, it was the first modern multimedia home computer :)

Of course, Apple was the first to adapt a mouse driven gui, but the Mac only had a 9 inch black & white screen. Amiga had multitasking, 4096 colors, 4 channels of 8 bit audio, all integrated on the motherboard.

Iirc, Commodore bought the Amiga from a small startup called Hi-Toro. Too bad Commodore had management problems, and could not keep up with the fast pace of computer tech.

The avatar is a scene from an old movie called, 2001: A Space Odyssey ;)
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 10 years ago
Welcome to AROSWORLD and congratulations on being the 100th member on this site ;)

The last 100th member happened to be a spammer so I removed it and you took the spot.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 10 years ago
Also congratz from me for being the 100th member and of course a welcome to our forums Dolcetto.

It's always nice to see 'new' people interested in Amiga history (and at the same time grab a taste of AROS) :D

Lot's of things changed over the years, and AROS itself is (still and up to this date) a very exciting yourney.

Cavemann already linked towards the most imporant resource regarding AROS and x86 machines -> be sure to also check-out the aros-exec forums for issues (that others have run into before you as well).
(unfortunately, at present it seems people are unable to register there atm).

Of course, feel free to ask your questions. Most topics are documented, but sometimes it's a pita to locate them.

I've read you talking about history, but i missed something ;), so make sure to also check-out MorphOS (in case you haven't already), which is also an important part of amiga-history, and a bit intertwined with AROS as well.

Please, enjoy your stay (and journey)
serk118ukserk118ukSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Welcome:)..
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, amigamia, serk118uk, magorium, Dolcetto
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 4
Members Online 1
miker1264

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]