Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Volume control

Last updated on 11 years ago
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Let me be clear here: i have no clue as of how things work. So i'm just spilling what comes to mind :)

According to datatype library it states:

The datatypes.library provides transparent data handling abilities to applications. Application developers can register their data format with datatypes.library and provide a class library for handling their data within other applications.

I believe _those_ can be found in sys:classes/datatypes

Now, you could think perhaps that sound.datatype does this automagically for all supported sound-formats. But be honest, do you see a ogg vorbis decoder in those 49kb ? Not to mention xm, s3m, mp3, flac etc etc.

We do see a wave.datatype there, so what on earth would that thing do ?

So let's ask emec if there are perhaps some datatype classes that are available on AOS 3.5 and are not present in AROS.
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Aha! Thanks for the info. Apparently I've been only looking at the iceberg peeking above the water.

So, Devs/datatypes only contains the file structure so the system can identify what type of file it is. Classes/datatypes are the public filters that can be used by any application. The datatype structures that do not have public classes most likely have private classes embedded in applications. Does that make sense?
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Well, i believe you hit the nail exactly on top of its head and hammered it with such a force that the nail and its head disappeared into the earth's core to be vaporized and never to been seen again :D

But please be aware that i still do not have a clue ;)

BTW: it does not explain why it does not play/support all wav format type files though. But if you stick to the list that is written here, then the play command should be able to put some pedal to the metal :)
Edited by magorium on 27-03-2013 01:45, 11 years ago
emeckemeckJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago
@cavemann
@magorium

3 clueless guys trying to hit nails... Doesn't sound like a good idea :o

Anyway, this are the files in the Devs/Datatypes drawer in my AOS3.5 installation:
JPEG.info
JPEG
ILBM.info
ILBM
GIF.info
GIF
FTXT.info
FTXT
CDXL.info
CDXL
ANIM.info
ANIM
AmigaGuide.info
AmigaGuide
AIFF.info
AIFF
8SVX.info
8SVX
icon
Icon.info

And this are in Classes/Datatypes:
text.datatype
sound.datatype
jpeg.datatype
ilbm.datatype
gif.datatype
cdxl.datatype
ascii.datatype
animation.datatype
anim.datatype
amigaguide.datatype
picture.datatype.cgfx
aiff.datatype
8svx.datatype
picture.datatype
icon.datatype

So, if AROS works like AOS3.x maybe aiff.datatype file has to be in Classes/Datatypes for it to work?
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
@emeck

Here is were it becomes a little adventurous :D If i take a good look at the sound.datatype i can see an header here that has aiff definitions.

But i am unsure as of why they are there exactly...

True is that there does not seem to be a aiff.datatype, so might explain things.

On the other hand it could also mean aiff is integrated in sound datatype by default (in which case i don't know which aiff format is supported)

but maybe someone can hit that nail again, or should we perhaps go for the hypersonic hydrolic powerdrill ? :)
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago

magorium wrote:

BTW: it does not explain why it does not play/support all wav format type files though. But if you stick to the list that is written here, then the play command should be able to put some pedal to the metal Smile

I agree, the play command is still not working properly. Wave and 8svx files have datatypes and should play. I don't think the AROS datatype is the same version as the datatype in your link because au files won't play. But that doesn't count for much since c:play is not working.

Edit: deleted some stupid text here.

Another mystery that still remains is the issue of the Arexx Volume mute script that returns zero (meaning that it had no errors) yet it does not mute AHI.
Edited by cavemann on 27-03-2013 12:09, 11 years ago
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago

magorium wrote:

Here is were it becomes a little adventurous :D If i take a good look at the sound.datatype i can see an header here that has aiff definitions.

But i am unsure as of why they are there exactly...

The sound.datatype is the root data type for sounds. It contains the methods that are used to interact with all sound files. Which makes sense, there is no need have these generic functions repeated in every sound datatype subclass. It looks like the voiceheader which you linked to is used by the internal methods of the sound.datatype. Maybe because some Aiff formats are used on AROS by Audio Evolution 4 (which is on Icaros).

Enough hammering...my thumb is sore!
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Ah yes cavemann.

afaik no arexx is supported in any of current programs. So neither for interacting with volume control :(

It could very well be that that link i provided is not representative for current datatypes, as the link is abiv1 related. I would have to dive into v0 sources to get a clear view on that. It was not so important for me.

So... play command is still unable to work ? is that what you are telling ? Reason i ask is because i needed to use it when mrdarek got his problem (remember ?) and it played certain wav-files.

Regarding the sound datatype: yes i know that it is the root class for the sounds, but at the same time i suspect(ed) some additions were added to make things lazy enough (as aiff is almost the same as iff) :D

For the rest we 'simply' need the additional datatypes in order to let them be played by the play command.

But i am still not sure about the non working play command. I'm a bit short in time but i was already planning for a playDT command for sounds, so i'm gonna shed my light over it.

Always be carefull hitting, sooner or later you might miss and end up with a sore thumb :D

But seriously, you perfectly explained how things are suppose to work. So thank you for that, and the additional info you posted and linked to.
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago

magorium wrote:

afaik no arexx is supported in any of current programs. So neither for interacting with volume control :(

Oh, I did not realize Arexx was in a sad state.

So... play command is still unable to work ? is that what you are telling ? Reason i ask is because i needed to use it when mrdarek got his problem (remember ?) and it played certain wav-files.

Now that you mention it, yes it worked not long ago.

For the rest we 'simply' need the additional datatypes in order to let them be played by the play command.

Yep, very simple ;)

But i am still not sure about the non working play command. I'm a bit short in time but i was already planning for a playDT command for sounds, so i'm gonna shed my light over it.

Good to hear :)

Always be carefull hitting, sooner or later you might miss and end up with a sore thumb :D

Ok I'll take care
aros-exec.org/uploads/smil3dbd4e5e7563a.gif
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, emeck, magorium
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 2
Members Online 0

Total Members: 219
Newest Member: Luca91
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]