Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Icaros 1.5.1

Last updated on 11 years ago
rebraistrebraistJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago
Have you tried it? I find it's really a nice piece of software!
I'm using it as a virtual machine and i have to say it's very speedy!
I'm working on a C project and the booting and compiling with gcc it's much more speedy than 1.4.x! Really! Try it!
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Yes i have :)

It is indeed (at least for vesa-mode) the fastest boot and experience i ever withnessed with AROS (not that it says much as i am only recently around :D).

It's just that i'm always short on time to actually install it on a native machine (currently running 1.4.something) as i need to re-install all my custom stuff's. And that is no fun doing it, say every half year or so.

My VBox dev is even 1.3.3 :shame:

Hopefully paolone can keep the seperation of system files strict enough for us to at least being able to upgrade for a longer period of time now.

As this 'feature' is new in 1.5 release, i'm very conservative. Big(ger) chances are probably coming soon. \o/

(which reminds me, we really could use native subversion).

How's zgrubber going ? :)
Posted 11 years ago
Yeah! I rarely install it natively, for the same reason. Just some days ago i natively installed 1.5.1, saving work partition to use data. But it's really fast! And i thought it's worth to substitute 1.4.x.
edit: just to say, the fastest aros distro in everyday use is aspireos.

@zgrub
Just uploaded 0.0.6.
Let's say now comes the tough stuff: i'd forgotten (along the way) to code nvidia and igma modes, so they are not correctly (fully)recognised.
Next step will be just this: model nvidia and igma modes.
It's "tough stuff" because i have to read (and learn) all their options (if any) from aros source. Vesa is quite simple: xres yres, freq, depth and a little more.
Then i will complete saving on disk part. That's (in my mind) quite completed: when i load it, all grub is splitted in a dynamical linked list, so, saving it's a very similar process to load.
Let's say in a ten years or something less it'll be ready!!!:D
Edited by rebraist on 10-03-2013 14:16, 11 years ago
emeckemeckJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago
Hi guys,

since you are talking about compilation too, is it possible to crosscompile to AOS3.x using Icaros gcc?
Posted 11 years ago
Sorry, I am of no help here...
Just for saying "all is possible", but i don't think there's any crosscompiler implemented under aros. A workaround is installing an emulated amiga environment in Icaros via juae and compile m68k executables in emulation.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Hi emeck,

afaik no.

But i am not very familiar with gcc. You could try and build a crosscompiler yourself. Just recently a guide written by troy was posted on the archives that explains how to build a AOS crosscompiler for windows/linux.

In case of problems you could try and get some help on aros-exec (although amiga is not really their topic) or at amigacoding.de.
Edited by magorium on 11-03-2013 15:05, 11 years ago
emeckemeckJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago
@rebreist @magorium

Thanks. I already have a crosscompiler for targeting AOS3.x under Linux. Just curious if it was possible with AROS too.
H
hean8209Newbie
Posted 11 years ago
Apart from the new NVidia driver being slow(2D) and causing sound stuttering and hard locks, and some weird behaviour from games, Icaros 1.5.1 is impressive (in VESA mode).. Using it as main OS 95% of the time now (only need to keep Linux around for youtube, AROS can do the rest)

:-)
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Hi hean8209,

First of all a very welcome to these forums :)

Seeing you mention NVidia problems may i point out this and this threads ?

They perhaps might shed a light on the why, how and what.

Did you by any chance had a opportunity to test the LKE edition of icaros ? (icaros 1.5 only)
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
@hean8209

I am not having sound problems with the latest gallium drivers. You might check Ahi prefs and make sure the frequency is at 44100 (if your computer is slow you could go 22050). Also if the number of channels is set to 1, try raising the setting to 4. If the problem is bad sound quality with mplayer, then I agree, since I have the same problem. For mp3 music try using Harmony Player or Zamp.

What video card are you using? Is it Agp or Pci-e? I have been getting random freeze ups too, especially on my Agp setup. I have also noticed a slow down but most games seem fast enough.

Off topic: I noticed you are considering going to Ati video. I think you would be dissapointed. The drivers are not fully developed at this point.
H
hean8209Newbie
Posted 11 years ago
I tried 4 different mobos, and every one of my Geforce cards (6) ranging from GF3,GF3Ti,4MX,4Ultra up to GF6200, both PCI (non E) and AGP, 3.06GHZ Pentium 4 in S478 and 2.8GHZ P4 in S775 with an Audigy2ZS handling the audio (tried SBLive5.1 too, no difference).

I ran Icaros 1.3.x on an AMD XP1900+ with GF4 and that was really fast.

The same cards that were blistering fast in Icaros 1.3.x/1.4.x are slow now, for some reason.. so slow that VESA is almost as fast in 2D as native..
(Dragging windows with native/opaque leaves "trails" of delayed images for example)

My hopes were with ATI, thanks for the info there.. Will try to find some Intel GMA based card instead then, Im not going back to Geforce under AROS any time soon. Wasted a week on that already.

The upside is that I am finally getting some use out of my internal S3 Unichrome card :-)
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
I have some slowness with a few heavy 3d games, but nothing as severe as what you have. Opaque window dragging is ok on my Icaros setup with gf8400.

A wild guess, check if you have a corrupted install disk or file. If not, then you could take some advice from magorium and try the the Lke Icaros version without the recent kernel change. I think the Lke version uses the same graphics drivers as Icaros 1.4.x.

Another thought is to give AspireOs a try. It is a more lightweight distro so maybe it would run smoother than Icaros does.

Generally, IntelGma is slower than the gallium drivers, iirc it has no 3d support. In your situation I have no idea if Intel will be any more stable or smoother. I have a Intelgma 4500m laptop that runs good in Vesa but not native, so be careful which chipset you get. Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Ps: One more idea, go to prefs/services. If there are services you don't need uncheck the box, save and reboot. These services run in the background and can sometimes slow things down.
Edited by cavemann on 22-04-2013 15:37, 11 years ago
emeckemeckJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago
@hean8209

My Icaros 1.5.1 machine is an AMD Athlon 1.28 GHz 1GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 which I mostly use to play videos and sound is ok with a SB Live 5.1 (emu10kx).

3D is very slow but 2D works very good for desktop stuff. Moving opaque screens is ok.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago

cavemann wrote:
... I think the Lke version uses the same graphics drivers as Icaros 1.4.x.

<snip>

... iirc it has no 3d support.

Correct on both accounts.

The sole existance of the LKE edition is for people having trouble with those kind of things and as such serves it purpose.

Intel has indeed (at least for me) no 3D support, so that is a big turnoff if you are wanting to play those games as it uses the software renderer instead. And for that you need a really fast processor (let's say it becomes bareable >8 Ghz in case the framerate would double from a 4Ghz processor)
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
I'd like to add that Icaros (and most likely every distro) is much improved on Pci-e since the corruption problem has been fixed. If anyone is thinking of going Nvidia, go for Pci-e.

Agp was very stable but that's not true anymore. Pci-e is much more stable now (at least on my machines). I would recommend a low end Pci-e system over a high end Agp at this point. My 2 cents.
Edited by cavemann on 24-04-2013 02:45, 11 years ago
transtransJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago
Where can I download it? I tried the download link on the official website and my downloader says it will take 21 days to complete! There has to be a faster way to download than that.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Hi trans,

If you are talking about the LKE edition of icaros then you can use this 7z-file or this torrent.

I did not encounter any problems related to speed.
transtransJunior Member
Posted 11 years ago
I was going for the regular edition. Is there a torrent for that?

Maybe its so slow for me b/c I am in the States?
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
Hi trans,

Sorry afaik there are no torrents available for Icaros 1.5.1 regular (both light and full) edition.

If all else fails then you could try using a proxy as 21 days is indeed a bit ridiculous.
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 11 years ago
@trans,
I live on the west coast and had no speed problem a couple of weeks ago, when I downloaded Icaros with the wifi from a local restaurant.

Even with slow dial-up speeds it should not take 21 days. Can you try another computer, or download from a different location?

EDIT Oops sorry, I just checked, that was the torrent version I downloaded :|
Edited by cavemann on 29-04-2013 09:58, 11 years ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, emeck, magorium, trans, rebraist, hean8209
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 3
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]