Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Introducing myself - trying this as a daily driver

Last updated on 4 days ago
pikewerferpikewerferJunior Member
Posted 13 days ago
Hi all - my name is pike, and I used to be a big Amiga nerd. I had a 500, 600, 1200, 2000, 4000. But then you have wife and kids... anyhow, a few years ago, I got back into the scene and have been using MorphOS on a PowerMac to have some fun. I also run Pimiga on my Pi5.

Both are neat, but not what I am looking for. I am looking for a daily driver. I do 99% of my work online, so a fast browser is really all I need. My mails are online. My work is online. My music is online. My apps are online. I mainly use JIRA and SalesForce (both online). I also use Outlook (the online client on my browser, though I could use a mail client, too). And I listen to YT playlists. That is basically it. Oh, and OneDrive - also online.

So I just installed AROS 2.5 on my Windows 11 VMWare Workstation Pro. Booted up nicely, but the browser is having issues loading a few things - like YT. Will fiddle around to see what I can do to improve.

I have a MiniPC here with 8GB RAM and an Intel. Will install AROS natively to see what that can do. Stable release with a good browser is what I need :-) Any help appreciated.
A
Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 13 days ago
yuo are welcomeSmile
AMIGASYSTEMAMIGASYSTEMDistro Maintainer
Posted 13 days ago
Welcome to the pikewerfer forum and thank you for trying and preferring AROS One v2.5, indeed OWB needs an update, our good deadwood is working hard on it, consider that the Browser is one of the most full-bodied Software.

Consider also that OWB still works for the little things, other Browsers of other platforms of the same period no longer work or are no longer supported.
Posted 12 days ago
Hi guys - one question: while we wait for an up-to-date Aros One browser, would it make sense to install Icaros? Does Icaros have a different browser, or does it also come with OWB? I understood this correctly, Aros One and Icaros are just two different flavors of Aros and use the same apps and backend?
Posted 12 days ago
Icaros like AROS One are based on the AROS x86 reference build, the difference is in the customisation of the OS, Icaros it uses Magellan as the "Desktop" instead of Wanderer.
the Browser on Icaros is the same, consider that Icaros has not been updated for years and includes an old Core that is no longer compatible with the New Core and the "Contrib" Applications.

There are other Distributions such as TinyAROS, a Minimal Distribution also based on Magellan as "Desktop", the Other Distributions have not been updated for many years.
Posted 12 days ago
So - stick to Aros One and bet your money on an updated OWB. Got it. I will wait - and donate.
Posted 12 days ago
What is needed is for some developer to approach or come back and lend a hand to the AROS staff!
A
Posted 12 days ago
I don't know if there will be an update for Odyssey in the future The programmer doesn't accept money and is the only one who can do the job, but they're very busy with other essential things
Edited by Amiwell79 on 13-06-2024 08:13, 12 days ago
Posted 12 days ago
Weird - I now wrote two replies, but they are seemingly not getting published. Am I doing something wrong?
Posted 12 days ago
These days there are some problems here on the site, the administrator is fixing them, that may be the problem even though it has never happened to me!
Posted 12 days ago
OK, try again: Being a long-time Scrum Product Owner, I might be able to help. I know a few dev teams I have worked with for quite some time. Would we be able to raise a bounty for an up-to-date browser? If so, I might be able to convince one of those devs to help us out.
Posted 12 days ago
To this I cannot answer, I do not know how many users are willing to donate, certainly the whole AROS community would be thrilled and happy if this happened.
N
ntromansJunior Member
Posted 12 days ago

pikewerfer wrote:

@pikewerfer - OK, try again: Being a long-time Scrum Product Owner, I might be able to help. I know a few dev teams I have worked with for quite some time. Would we be able to raise a bounty for an up-to-date browser? If so, I might be able to convince one of those devs to help us out.

You could definitely count me in for an updated OWB bounty!

By the way, I do use AROS as my 'daily driver' but I tend to keep everyting local on the SSD so that's probaby a bit easier than with everything online.

I noticed you had a really impressive reange of Miggys at one point (I still have my A500 & a1200); if you still have the software you can run an emulated Amiga using Janus (which has a JIT so actually quite nippy) and it's amazing how productive you can still be with old software such as PageStream and Finalcalc.

For YouTube, I find the easiest thing is just to copy the URL, paste it into AmiTube and download a copy. A slight wait for the download but it works reliably.

Cheers,
Nigel.
Posted 11 days ago
Okay then. So here is what we would need to do:

1. find a developer in e.g. Nepal (I can do that)
2. set him up with hardware (x86) with Aros One installed (I can do that)
3. create a JIRA board with an Epic (update OWB webkit browser to today's standards) (I can do that)
4. set up a Knowledge Transfer session with the new and the current dev (we would need deadwood!)
4. create stories/tasks for the Epic that will get us there (we would also need deadwood in that meeting!)
5. Set up three standup sprints every week (15 minutes) to discuss issues and progress (I can set them up, but others would need to participate to help the dev stay on track)
6. Each sprint is two weeks - after two weeks, we go live with a new version of OWB (we would need to discuss how to publish those so people can download and test each new beta version)
7. final release after $x months (once again, we need an estimate from deadwood how much time one dedicated dev would need for completion of the epic)
8. pay the dev for his freelance work - also, keep up the relations, since we might need him to update the browser in the following year, every year (which would then be less work and lower budget need)

The question is, can we commit to that? We need the current OWB dev to be involved, and we need to have the money. If deadwood says this would be 3 months of work for a dev that works on this 40 hours a week, then we would need to raise about 5-6k USD. We would probably need to pay something after each sprint, so every two weeks.

Is deadwood in this forum? Can someone contact him? Would he commit to something like that? If yes, first obstacle removed. We would need him for at least 1 or 2 KT sessions (one hour each) and we would ideally like to have him in the standups (15 minutes 3 times a week).

Second obstacle: Can we raise that much money? Who would collect it and pay the guy? I mean, I can do that - we can have some video calls, I can identify myself, and I can set up the whole thing. But perhaps you guys already have something in place? Would make things easier.
A
Posted 11 days ago
I think that support from Deadwood would be possible, but we need to find another programmer It's not in his plans to update OWB
A
Posted 11 days ago
You can find Deadwood here

https://arosworld...#post_5519
Posted 11 days ago
As I said, I can find another programmer to work full-time on this. We need Deadwood for the knowledge transfer, preferably for the standups so he can guide the new programmer. If he agrees, we can roll. If he does not, we are blocked.

And we would need to raise the money. I would chip in some money, too, naturally. :-) I would recommend a repay bounty: we set a goal, and if we meet it, we go. If we fail, all donations go back to whoever donated them.
A
Posted 11 days ago
Try talking to Deadwood, the OWB sources are free You can collect the money, and you can open a small website explaining everything
A
Posted 11 days ago
There would also be this website where in the past we collected money for various projects

https://power2peo...
A
Posted 11 days ago
I would propose a bounty on power2people and wouldn't wait long to collect the necessary money, since you can always find a deadwood programmer who is available to help
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: deadwood, Argo, AMIGASYSTEM, ntromans, Amiwell79, ASiegel, miker1264, Templario, pikewerfer
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 6
Members Online 0

Total Members: 235
Newest Member: pikewerfer
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]