Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

AROS Shell Training?

Last updated on 9 years ago
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago
I thought this http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68782 was a fantastic idea. IS anyone willing to do the same thing but for AROS Shell?
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Amigamia,
Clicking on the link gives me an error :(
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago

cavemann wrote:

Amigamia,
Clicking on the link gives me an error :(

:| What kind of error? I just tried it and it worked. I tried different browsers and worked. I even right clicked on it to copy the link address and then paste it in another browser and worked. Heck, I even tried Internet Explo'd'er and it worked :D
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Thanks for the tip. Works using another browser. Back to the subject.

There is a helpful shell manual in Icaros. And also, Aros has a wiki for the shell.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/User/DOS

But when I need help with a command in the shell, I just type, help <command>, that usually gives me all the information I need.

On the subject of shell tricks, some of the Amiga stuff should work. After all, the Aros shell is based on the Amiga shell.

Actually the Aros shell has two shells. Type sh and the shell will become a bash style shell and understand many linux shell commands. Then type exit to get back to AmigaDos ;)
Edited by cavemann on 04-02-2015 19:00, 9 years ago
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago

cavemann wrote:

Thanks for the tip. Works using another browser. Back to the subject.

There is a helpful shell manual in Icaros. And also, Aros has a wiki for the shell.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/User/DOS

But when I need help with a command in the shell, I just type, help <command>, that usually gives me all the information I need.

On the subject of shell tricks, some of the Amiga stuff should work. After all, the Aros shell is based on the Amiga shell.

Actually the Aros shell has two shells. Type sh and the shell will become a bash style shell and understand many linux shell commands. Then type exit to get back to AmigaDos ;)

Hey Cavemann, that is great about the AROS wiki for the shell but I was kinda looking for some sort of training or with some small examples to show what all those commands do together. Something for new users to AROS who may not have a strong Amiga background or no background at all. Haven't looked at the manual so I may be missing the mark here but I'll definitely check them out when free time comes along.

As for sh in Aros, I have tried it under Icaros 2.0.2 and it is very unstable. I couldn't complete anything without errors, hiccups, and all sorts of sporadic problems.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Please note that icaros 2.0.2 should never have been released into public, as there where some serious flaws in there. Flaws that could impact aros in such a way that it would be impossible to be able to figure out exactly what is/was the culprit.

Please, if you can, try updating to 2.0.3 or revert back to 2.0.1

fwiw: sh is used by developers itself to compile all sorts of things for and port to aros, so if indeed there are serious issues, we would have heard them by now. Nevertheless, it could happen something is amiss (it happened in the 2.x beta testing fase that sh was completely broken).

Please retry with icaros 2.0.1 or 2.0.3 and if you can report back if you are still experiencing issues. sh is too important for AROS (developers) that we can't afford for it it having any (serious) issues.
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
@amigamia
...but I was kinda looking for some sort of training or with some small examples to show what all those commands do together. Something for new users to AROS who may not have a strong Amiga background.

Perhaps you will like this ADos guide better?

http://www.bunton.id.au/afiles.html

...I couldn't complete anything without errors, hiccups, and all sorts of sporadic problems.

I wonder how much stack you are working with. It should be okay but sometimes can be a problem. Please give a step by step example of your problem using the bash shell. So I can try to repeat the error.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, amigamia, magorium
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 9
Members Online 0

Total Members: 216
Newest Member: Farox
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]