Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Syntax Highlighting in Annotate 3.0.1

Last updated on 4 years ago
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 4 years ago
Hey all,

Does anyone have the same issue as I have with Annotate on AROS? There is no syntax highlighting but the screen-shot on the download link shows it working in AOS4.
Edited by amigamia on 26-08-2020 10:43, 4 years ago
You do not have access to view attachments
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 4 years ago
Hi amigamiga,

I cant't say I have had any issues with regards to annotate's highlighting.

That said, it can be a bit finicky to set it up with AROS. Most problems seem to stem from the missing pens/colors.

I have a (unfinished) howto that you can read here: http://fpcamigawi...g_annotate but that is very specific to my needs (using a custom pascal highlight colours).

Do note that changing/setting up the pencolours influences your whole workbench so in case it relies on that you would have to find a middle ground or as I usually do, use annotate on it's own public screen so that it has its own set of pens.

Have you tried to see what pens/colours are present on your AROS system ? There are two small tools that are ale to show them for you (but I can't remember their name from memory, so in case you are not able to locate them I would have to look it up for you).
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 4 years ago
Thanks Magorium, I actually got them to work. There is an option in the under settings "Try Syntax highlighting" when selected it shows the colours. Syntax highlighting is not that great though. Are there any better alternative to Annotate for AROS?
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 4 years ago

amigamia wrote:

@amigamia - Thanks Magorium, I actually got them to work. There is an option in the under settings "Try Syntax highlighting" when selected it shows the colours.

Oh, yeah... I forgot about that option. Sorry about that Sad

Syntax highlighting is not that great though.

It is possible to fully customise annotate's syntax highlighting, although it can be a bit spartanic to get it right.

imho there is one small step missing in their implementation that would make it much simpler to use for end-users, but last time I spoke the developer (ages ago), development was halted with the exception of fixing bugs (and even that seemed debatable) and I do believe (if I remember correctly) accepting improvements. I understand, as it was developed ages ago. It is open source so anyone could have a go.

Are there any better alternative to Annotate for AROS?

Not sure if you can call it better, but the only other editor that I know of that can support multiple programming languages is ALB42's EdiSyn ( https://blog.alb4...ms/edisyn/ ).

Some of the code used there is mine... so be prepared Grin

There are of course the usual suspects such as vim, and there are for sure more editors for example for classic 68k (if lucky then open source, so could perhaps be (re-)compiled for AROS).
Edited by magorium on 28-08-2020 13:01, 4 years ago
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 4 years ago

Not sure if you can call it better, but the only other editor that I know of that can support multiple programming languages is ALB42's EdiSyn ( https://blog.alb4...ms/edisyn/ ).

Of course!! I forgot about EdiSyn. I tried it a while back and I was very impressed. I think I am going to give it a spin again.

There are of course the usual suspects such as vim,

I tried to download vim from aros-archives and another place that I found googling but every time I try to run or install it with the installer provided, it keeps prompting to insert volume with the name 'vim' to continue. I wouldn't mind vim but it should be this problematic to get it running.
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: amigamia, magorium
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 4
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]