Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

SDL 2.0 for AROS

Last updated on 1 year ago
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 2 years ago
Just to make sure we are on the same page: You are using the source-code that is found at the github link you posted earlier ?

I'm puzzled about the real suffix..... Unless i overlooked i did not see one of the macro's expand to add such suffix.

Note that creating a dynamic version of the library is something else then creating a static one.

Trying to compile as the library as linux library isn't the way to go there. You are better of trying to see what is inside the amigaos4 makefile and try to replicate that (minus the ppc specific parts ofc).

I wish i had more time on my hands so i could give it a shot myself. Cavemann/deadwood (or anyone else with a bit of c/make knowledge) not around ?
M
MiDWaNNewbie
Posted 1 year ago
Was there any more progress on this matter?

I would like to see if I can improve Janus-UAE on AROS, and one of the things would be moving it to SDL2 - but that requires the library first, of course Smile
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 1 year ago

MiDWaN wrote:

@MiDWaN - Was there any more progress on this matter?

I would like to see if I can improve Janus-UAE on AROS, and one of the things would be moving it to SDL2 - but that requires the library first, of course Smile

Hello MiDWaN, welcome to AROSWorld!

I haven't made much progress unfortunately. It's on pause right now as I had to redo my virtual machines hosting AROS on them. However, I plan on picking it up again but I am no expert. I am doing it it as a learning experience as well as because no one else seems interested on porting SDL 2 to AROS.

I thought I would give it a shot. I was in contact with one of the AOS4 developers who suggested to use the MorphOS code because it's closer to AROS. I have the code here on this web site but I am going to put it on GitHub soon.

Would you be interested in collaborating?
M
MiDWaNNewbie
Posted 1 year ago

amigamia wrote:

@amigamia -

MiDWaN wrote:

@MiDWaN - Was there any more progress on this matter?

Hello MiDWaN, welcome to AROSWorld!

I haven't made much progress unfortunately. It's on pause right now as I had to redo my virtual machines hosting AROS on them. However, I plan on picking it up again but I am no expert. I am doing it it as a learning experience as well as because no one else seems interested on porting SDL 2 to AROS.

I thought I would give it a shot. I was in contact with one of the AOS4 developers who suggested to use the MorphOS code because it's closer to AROS. I have the code here on this web site but I am going to put it on GitHub soon.

Would you be interested in collaborating?

Hi there!
No problem, I'd love to collaborate on this - I would probably have to look into it myself otherwise.

I just managed to get everything to compile (using SDL1) yesterday, after a lot of trial and error. The sources of Janus-UAE were a little stale for a few years, and things had changed in the meantime.
That means that the "fun" part is only starting, as the first requirement (and the pain in the butt) was making sure I have an environment that I can use to test new builds in (AROS itself, and a fool-proof way of building Janus-UAE). Well, now I have more than one (Ubuntu under Windows 11 with WSL2, Manjaro Linux) and I know more about the pitfalls of the process. Smile

In other words, no rush and no expectations from my side. Happy to help wherever I can!
My work on Janus-UAE is on Github, since I've made some modifications already (with plenty more expected to follow): https://github.co.../janus-uae
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 1 year ago
That's fantastic work and thank you for all that! I agree with you, it was time to bring Janus-UAE up to date. I believe if we can manage to port SDL 2.0 to AROS, it is going to open a gate to a lot of new applications, games, etc. etc. but one thing that I noticed is the OS is still somewhat very unstable.

I recently managed to get AROS One 1.8 by Amigasystem on AROS-EXEC working (Supported Video, Wifi, and Audio) on a Dell Latitude D520. I struggled with the Wifi card but figured out what was the problem (will post an article in here soon). I am still experiencing occasional lock-ups, unexpected crashes, and annoyances such as a shell icon on the desktop showing multiple times after placing just one via "leave out" option.

It's frustrating and distracting when I am trying to focus on one particular problem/task and other things around go crashing.

In any case, it is still fun in trying to port a piece of software for the first time on a new OS like AROS Smile
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You cannot download attachments in this forum.
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, amigamia, magorium, deadwood, MiDWaN
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 4
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]