Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Issues with icaros 2.0

Last updated on 9 years ago
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
I purchased the external DVD-ROM and installed icaros 2.0. Ever since I installed it I am having a major problem getting the system back to the internet online. It just does not work period. I followed your advice and nothing is working on it. The problem when I installed icaros 2.0 is that it would not allow me to format the HD so it installed it on top of the old icaros 1.5.1. The system runs 100%, there is nothing wrong with it however the only thing I cannot get working is the internet.

Second problem I have is that if I put an external DVD-ROM and put any burned disc except for the icaros 2.0 DVD-ROM it does not detect that disc. If I put an 8 GB USB memory stick icaros 2.0 produce jibberish for the name and jibberish files that cannot be excuted with jibberish type. Everything about is jibbiersh and there ar elike jibbiersh file sizes and there will be hundreds of jibberish, garbage files even if I put it back into my windows machine the memory stick is empty.

I don't know what is wrong here! Any help would be greatly appreciate it!
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
hi xboxown,

Sorry to hear you keep getting into troubles (more or less).

The first thing i noticed in your post is

xboxown wrote:
.... so it installed it on top of the old icaros 1.5.1.

And looking at previous reports on that, i came across this advise from ncafferkey:

ncafferkey wrote:
It would be safer to use a brand new HD image, or at least repartition the old one. At one time, there were bugs in the partitioning software of previous AROS versions.

Which brings us to the second thing i noticed in your post:

xboxown wrote:
The problem when I installed icaros 2.0 is that it would not allow me to format the HD...

Which shouldn't happen. Assuming the bios does not has bootblock or other write protection activated (e.g. bios anti-virus), it would be helpful to know what error message you get exactly when you try to install (and which you stated is not possible).

Are we still talking about the machine you got from phoenixkonsole or are we talking about a completely different machine here ?

Reason to ask is that i have some tricks up my sleeve to try to attack that issue, but i do not want you to loose any boot-partition in case you have another OS installed besides AROS.

You can at least be almost 100% certain that all the other problems you reported originates from a faulty/buggy filesystem/partition on your AROS boot disk, causing all sort of negative side-effects which seems unrelated (but trust me they are).

Also be aware that having installed Icaros onto hd and leaving the dvd/cd or usb pen-drive (which both can boot as well) can cause all kinds of issues when inserted during boot (especially when the boot-priority in the bios is not set to boot from internal hd). In that case it can look as you started from HD but actually you didn't. That's why the installation specifically mention to remove the installation media before doing a reboot.
(the last paragraph i just put there just in case, so in case you was already aware then please ignore that part).
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago

magorium wrote:

hi xboxown,

Sorry to hear you keep getting into troubles (more or less).

The first thing i noticed in your post is

xboxown wrote:
.... so it installed it on top of the old icaros 1.5.1.

And looking at previous reports on that, i came across this advise from ncafferkey:

ncafferkey wrote:
It would be safer to use a brand new HD image, or at least repartition the old one. At one time, there were bugs in the partitioning software of previous AROS versions.

Which brings us to the second thing i noticed in your post:

xboxown wrote:
The problem when I installed icaros 2.0 is that it would not allow me to format the HD...

Which shouldn't happen. Assuming the bios does not has bootblock or other write protection activated (e.g. bios anti-virus), it would be helpful to know what error message you get exactly when you try to install (and which you stated is not possible).

Are we still talking about the machine you got from phoenixkonsole or are we talking about a completely different machine here ?

Reason to ask is that i have some tricks up my sleeve to try to attack that issue, but i do not want you to loose any boot-partition in case you have another OS installed besides AROS.

You can at least be almost 100% certain that all the other problems you reported originates from a faulty/buggy filesystem/partition on your AROS boot disk, causing all sort of negative side-effects which seems unrelated (but trust me they are).

Also be aware that having installed Icaros onto hd and leaving the dvd/cd or usb pen-drive (which both can boot as well) can cause all kinds of issues when inserted during boot (especially when the boot-priority in the bios is not set to boot from internal hd). In that case it can look as you started from HD but actually you didn't. That's why the installation specifically mention to remove the installation media before doing a reboot.
(the last paragraph i just put there just in case, so in case you was already aware then please ignore that part).

Yes I am talking about the machine I got from phoenixkonsole :) Give me your diagnostic doctor :) I don't care if I need to read 10 pages article of step by step what I need to do to get this system up and running I am all ears, please tell me :) I am fully eager to get it 100% functional ones and for all so i can start enjoying watching movies and videos in the bus using this device. Right now it have not left the home ever since it arrived due to it's not ready yet. I cannot transfer files from pc to it, I cannot access the internet, no usb stick work, no burned cd work..this is not correct. I am 100% for sure don't want to go to downgrade either. I want to format the main sys HD and install icaros 2.0 and start fresh but I can't seem too!
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Hi xboxown,

Nice to hear you're so enthousiastic, that sure will help :-)

Actually the installation process itself is described perfectly in the icaros desktop manual. The (new 2.0) manual can be downloaded from here, but should also be located on your icaros DVD that you got.

The installation process is described in chapter 2.

Make sure you read it (all) before doing an actual installation. (usually i have another second machine on which i've opened this PDF, so i can follow it step-by-step during installation :D ).

Assuming you have a icaros 2.0 DVD and you can boot from that DVD, you insert the DVD in your machine and startup (or reboot) your computer and follow the instructions in the manual that describes the installation process of installing icaros onto your internal hard-disk.

Now, there are a couple of notes for your situation.

Since you already have an old icaros installed, it is important to realize that you want to be able to boot from your dvd (and not that the boot-dvd recognizes internal old icaros partition and take stuff from there).

In order to make sure that things happen as planned, the easiest would be to change the boot order in your bios. Make sure it firstly boots from the dvd and only from internal HD as second (or not at all, but that option is not available in every bios). Make sure to write down any (original configured) BIOS options that you are changing so that you are able to revert).

Once you have that sorted out, you should be able to install without problems.

Please also follow ncafferkey's advise, and make sure to wipe your whole (internal) HD, and make new partitions (they can stay the same size as you had for icaros 1.5.x, just simply re-make them). This is also described in the manual.

In case installing does give you troubles then the most likely cause is that the device number you try to install icaros onto is incorrect (that in combination with the chosen device, sata/ata/ide/usb ). The manual has nice pictures to go with that, but feel free to ask in case you are not sure.

The good thing is, you want to replace your existing installation anyhows, so in that case there's absolutely nothing that you could do wrong (in relation to loosing something that you do not want to get lost). Just make sure you haven't attached other external ( usb ) hard-drives, pen-drives and/or sd-cards (if any).

In case the installation process (still) does fail for you, please mention the error that was presented to you and what options you chose during installation (just write them down, it only will take you about five minutes to do so). Alternatively you could make some pictures with a digital camera and attach those in case you keep running into troubles.

If everything succeeded (as planned) you must make sure to change the boot-order in your bios again, to make sure Icaros will (initially) be booted from the internal HD.

Additional notes apply in case you do not ave an internal dvd/cd rom, but choose to attach an external one by using USB, in which case you must make sure that you don't have any other USB devices inserted (including keyboard mice). In the past this helped a lot for people having USB problems, and is only required during the installation process (you can use usb devices later once installation finished successfully). In any case, when installing from USB then please DO NOT USE A HUB >>> EVER <<<

Hopefully this gives you enough information to be able to continue. In case it doesn't then please feel free to ask for further help.

Good Luck !

PS: in case you opt for installing from a USB pen-drive, paolone wrote that in the manual as well, and recently wrote another blogpost about it here.
P
phoenixkonsoleNewbie
Posted 9 years ago
Hi,
i have emailed you meanwhile but if other tumble about that:
What i did is to remove/delete the former partition with hdtoolbox.
At best remove the sd-card as well.

Now you should reboot.
Launch InstallAROS and choose wipe disk.
Use ATA.device and check the unit. If the installer moans, than it was the wrong unit number. Try 1 or 2 in that case (you could check it via hdtoolbox)
Because of the small size of the SSD i suggest to create only a sys: partition

Reboot again (The installer will ask if you like to restart aros.. just do it)
Relaunch INstallAROS. Now select install to available AROS drive.

Wait, and wait and especially wait at the end when the final script is running!

Now you are basically done.
I am now uploading a SD-card image which has 2 empty partitions(Work: and Games:) including wastebasket. You can write it directly to sd card you diskimagewriter32 for example.

I created it using the installer... i specified 2 partitions and than formatted them with "format" (under storage) and make sure to do a quick format.

Tomorrow I will upload a USB-Image of IcAROS desktop 2.0 as well.

ATTENTION! If you like to install stuff to work: (which would be on SD-card than) you must put it in before installation. Choose use work partition but don't format again.
I hope this will work... having sys: on internal and work: on external... didn't try that by myself.

My opionion is to put the whole thing on the internal and put only additional stuff on work and games... but whatever you like as long it works : )
Edited by phoenixkonsole on 05-11-2014 15:17, 9 years ago
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
I followed your advice on email and everything is working 100%. It is actually now installed the extras now into the work partition and I have work and game partition and everything is running so well in terms of installation.

The only thing right now I am waiting for patiently is after the installation I will get the system online, ones it is online it is complete! The system is complete! :D

But before I seal it and complete it...I will wait for the installation to be completed then try to get the internet working. If the internet fails I will post my issues here in this post so others can hopefully read through this and resolve their issues..
P
phoenixkonsoleNewbie
Posted 9 years ago
About internet just make sure to use atheros.device and do checkmark for "start networkstack after boot"

I made an mistake and didn't format the raw blocks so the sd-image is 1.3GB.... well in fact it is only an empty work: and games: partition. (That's the price if you do only quick format ; D )
https://dl.dropbo...ion.img.7z

Since you fixed the problems already you can ignore this sd-image anyway.
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
The issue I have with the internet when I select atheros5000.device and I click save it pauses for a while and then I get an error message saying cannot restart stack and that I require to reboot the system for the changes to take effect and on top of that it saves it saves the changes into such location. When I restart the icaros and attempt to select my provider and enter the password and when I go to the browser it keeps going to cisco and asks for me to enter my password as a guest when in fact I have telus account. If I do not bother select telus and enter the password and try to access the internet I get back to cisco again. It is as if selecting telus and entering password does not change setting no matter what I do. So that is my frustration here as well.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Hi xboxown,

Congratz on the successful installation :)

Now, i have to guess a little here, but cisco doesn't sound like an internet provider to me but rather the brandname of a router. It seems that your AROS favours to connect to that.

Is that router yours ?

If that router isn't yours then you've just encountered a warmly welcome of the wonderful world called wireless :D.

In case it is your router, you should be able to determine if that is the router you want to connect to and if so, configure the router in such a way that AROS is able to communicate with it.

It is a bit problematic (unable to see from this side of the screen what is happening behind yours ;) ) to be able to give any further tips/hints/pointers. Knowing your own exact situation/circumstances is important as well as have detailed information.

What is clear however is that the wireless signal from that cisco router seems to overpower your wanted router/connection (at least that is how i interpreted your message). Please correct me if i'm wrong about that.

The issue should be addressed by making sure you are connecting to your own router/access-point. A proper wireless setup is of the essence in that case.

In case you have never done such thing, it can be a steep learning curve. e.g. an OS like windows does not care much and when you let it, will connect to all and everything as long as it has the strongest wireless signal.
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
Actually I went too soon announcing that I installed icaros. I feel like I am heading into an endless loop trying to install icaros >< and now I am having hd corruption and so on....I have being attempting to install icaros and reinstall icaros and reinstall icaros for the entire day now >< No matter what I do i always end up with an error during installation causing corruption.

For example like this error message I am receiving now:

A handler attempted to read 32 sector(s) starting from 1883278304, beyond the actual volume space. Last volume sector is 14683135, sector size is 512. Either your disk is damaged or it is a bug in the handler. Please check your disk and/or report this problem to the developers team.

Arrrghh!!
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
@phoenixkonsole:

Yes, splitting the boot and work is possible, but i don't believe the installer is capable of switching device-types for that ? tbh i never tried myself, only by installing work onto a second HD (also aother partition on same HD) on the same controller. I assume an sd card device is not attached to the same device on that particular rmachine ?
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Hi xboxown,

Drats, i seem unable to post my full reply.

In short:
Full icaros install requires about 6GB. re-install, make sure to format HD (now corrupted filesystem)and make sure _not_ to install all packages, but de-select some during installation. Packages to avoid are development, games and emulators. But maybe you need to omit more.

You can always add things later manually and/or use an sd card for that.
Edited by magorium on 06-11-2014 11:49, 9 years ago
P
phoenixkonsoleNewbie
Posted 9 years ago
Hmm 6GB is a lot more than 1.5.2 was
Development and games should be avoided.

You can try what magrium said or you can install the light version of icaros as base and add stuff manually from full dvd..
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Hi phoenixkonsole:

i had that initially written as well, i'm still trying to figure out why my initial post failed.

the problem with the installer is that it won't warn you when running out of disk space. (at least not in usual way as on other OS' ). so, some obscure dos errors is all you get.

You have to realize that the installer copies the archives to the hd and then extracts them, in most worse conditions requiring twice the amount of free space. hence the approx. 6GB free space required.

It also accounts for the popularity of AspireOS for such machines, leaving out all the unnecessary stuff as you can manually add that what you desire.

That choice was made in older Icaros version, because people complained about slow installation process (HD is usually faster). The idea is still to create a custom installer which would not suffer from forementioned issues and makes smart decisions based on user preferences and available space.
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
Well, the good news everything is back to normal and I have a full functioning running icaros 2.0 :) I even toke it out the house for the very first time and watched a 30 minute cartoon sitcom while in the bus and I love it :D It is a tiny (albeit heavy) ipad with keyboard :)

Now I am in my launch break and now I am going to watch the cartoon in my launch break!
P
paoloneDistro Maintainer
Posted 9 years ago
Hello. I finally resolved all issues that prevented me from replying here (thanks to Amigamia for the kind and polite support). I'm happy you've fixed all your issues in the meanwhile.

And yes, Icaros Desktop Live! requires a vast amount of space, But this is due by the fact that the Live! distribution wants to give user the best and most complete AROS experience he/she could get, no matter of disk space. Even better: the more space is used, the better AROS has come.

If you prefer a slick ditribution with less to no software than the most important one, with selected applications that are better tested and somehow become part of the whole environment, you have to go for Icaros Light version instead. A perfectly usable system in 1 GB of space, but then you'll have to provide software by yourself. It should be easy with AAEDT and, in the incoming future, with Pascal's app store.
P
phoenixkonsoleNewbie
Posted 9 years ago
I am glad that you enjoy your new mobile AROS station ; )
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: magorium, phoenixkonsole, xboxown, paolone
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 4
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]