Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

From Poland

Last updated on 3 days ago
B
BohunSenior Member
Posted 3 days ago
Cześć Smile

Since you wrote about both the Raspberry Pi and the 64-bit laptop, I will paste a link to the review of the Argon ONE Up case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef70x0izkFU
Today, that's overkill (there's no ARM software that would justify such an investment), but imagine an ARM AROS with software on par with MorphOS or AmigaOS 4. In that situation, I'd immediately buy such a marvel and have modern, NEW hardware instead of second-hand x86 laptops Smile
Intel Outside! ARM rules ;-)
H
hean8209Junior Member
Posted 4 days ago
Welcome to the community, enjoy your stay Smile
B
BilboJunior Member
Posted 4 days ago
Smile
I have the feeling that 64-bit technology will make AROS more widely recognized and attract more users. Good luck with the work, and have a wonderful day.
Argo, Farox, sonountaleban
F
FaroxSenior Member
Posted 4 days ago
@Bilbo
I too have a laptop (ACER Aspire 5 A515) with dual gfx card an Intel HD and a Nvidia GeForce 940MX, but as i discovered developing this driver, is the primary card that have all the connections to the panel display and external ports, the secondary card can operate using the Optimus technology and accellerate 3D operations only writing on the buffers of primary card. So using this card alone is not possible, and using in cooperation with the primary Intel, need a specific driver, not on my scope for now, maybe once completed the IntelHD i return to this.
B
BilboJunior Member
Posted 4 days ago

Farox wrote:

@Farox - Hi @Bilbo
Welcome on the forum.
I'm slowly working on adding 3D support on IntelHD driver for AROS 64bit.

Well, perhaps, if it has Intel HD graphics... Some laptops use Intel for the graphics card; for instance, the Lenovo T420 I'm using right now comes with Intel HD as standard, plus an Nvidia card as a secondary GPU.

Link to my Thread in case you are interested https://www.arosworld.org/infusions/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=2084&rowstart=0#post_14243
B
BilboJunior Member
Posted 4 days ago
[quote name=Jeff1138 post=14983]@Jeff1138 - Hi,

i'm more interested in it as a system that allows for normal use alongside gaming for instance, if I find something online, I could just print the part that interests me instead of messing around with copying the URL. It certainly won't replace my main system (Fedora), but I do want it to run reasonably well and smoothly.
F
FaroxSenior Member
Posted 4 days ago
Hi @Bilbo
Welcome on the forum.
I'm slowly working on adding 3D support on IntelHD driver for AROS 64bit. At moment Boot and 2D operation are working fine on Intel Core CPU's 6th and 7th generations (Skylake and Kaby Lake GPU). Recently added support for DisplayPort (tested only on Skylake with a DP-->HDMI cable as don't have a DisplayPort monitor to test).
So VGA and DisplayPort should be working fine, HDMI on Laptop need to be fixed still.

Link to my Thread in case you are interested https://www.arosworld.org/infusions/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=2084&rowstart=0#post_14243
J
Jeff1138Member
Posted 5 days ago
Hi,

We are awaiting ArosOne x64 1.4 soon so probably advise you better after that.
Do you need 2d and 3d acceleration probably desktop with working Nvidia card (others will be able to help on this)
Laptops look at i5 7200U intel laptops at the moment so may get 2D and later 3D (3D still unknown at this time).
Any laptop will need SecureBoot removed (i.e. a password free bios) and even then audio and ethernet maybe supported. No wifi.
HCL shows mostly realtek ethernet (80% should work) and any others will not work.

The Pi is still a work in progress and great when it works well (60% of the time with simple web browsing with some 2D and 3D). Wifi works though but sd cards can be an issue. Little software as yet but will grow over time.
Edited by Jeff1138 on 06-10-2026 06:43, 5 days ago
ArgoArgoMember
Posted 5 days ago
Greetings, Welcome to the party

@Bohun would have more info in the rPi branch Looks like it's getting there
You can check out the Hardware forum @deadwood should have a list of tested PC configs, plus Nvidia GTX up to the 980Ti work
A
Amiwell79Distro Maintainer
Posted 5 days ago
you are welcome
B
BilboJunior Member
Posted 5 days ago
Hello everyone,
I’m Piotrek from the West Pomerania region of Poland. I used Amigas back in the 1991–1998 period (A500 and A1200) and an A600 in 2022; I’m strictly a user. For now, I’m running AROS 64-bit on QEMU (Fedora 44). After checking the HCL, I’m wondering whether to build a PC with a 64-bit motherboard, use a Raspberry Pi (model 4 or newer), or wait until a 64-bit laptop comes along that allows for a hassle-free AROS installation and usage.

Bilbo
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: hean8209, Argo, Amiwell79, Jeff1138, Farox, Bohun, Bilbo