- Home
- Discussion Forum
- AROS FORUMS
- Public Announcements
- Replacement AmigaOS4 kernel based on AROS kernel
Replacement AmigaOS4 kernel based on AROS kernel
Last updated on 2 hours ago
OlafSchMember
Posted 2 hours ago@Bohun - I’ll throw in my two cents. A few months ago, I became so interested in Amibench that I bought an A600GS computer from AmigaKit (not Amikit—that’s something completely different). They confirmed the purchase and took the money, but then all communication ceased. I sent an email once a month asking about the status of my order, only to be met with dead silence. That’s all I have to say about the "premium" Amibench product.
Regarding Amigakit and your order you should ask on amiga.org
miker1264Software Dev
Posted 6 hours agoAmigaKit is famous for that.
I bought a 4x IDE for my Amiga 1200 a few years ago. A few weeks went by after I paid but I got no emails or confirmation of my purchase. I waited another week then it arrived. I should have learned my lesson ordering from them but I did it again.
About a year ago I ordered a "pre assembled" Pi Storm 32 Lite from AmigaKit. Same thing. A few weeks passed with no messages, no communication whatsoever! I got really impatient. So I sent a nasty email about customer service, lack there of actually. I waited but still nothing.
A few days later I sent another email. The answered that one, acting so upset that I would bother them. They were so busy!
A day later I got a message that my product had shipped. I received it a week later.
Having good products means nothing if customer service is no good!!
I bought a 4x IDE for my Amiga 1200 a few years ago. A few weeks went by after I paid but I got no emails or confirmation of my purchase. I waited another week then it arrived. I should have learned my lesson ordering from them but I did it again.
About a year ago I ordered a "pre assembled" Pi Storm 32 Lite from AmigaKit. Same thing. A few weeks passed with no messages, no communication whatsoever! I got really impatient. So I sent a nasty email about customer service, lack there of actually. I waited but still nothing.
A few days later I sent another email. The answered that one, acting so upset that I would bother them. They were so busy!
A day later I got a message that my product had shipped. I received it a week later.
Having good products means nothing if customer service is no good!!
BohunMember
Posted 7 hours agoI’ll throw in my two cents. A few months ago, I became so interested in Amibench that I bought an A600GS computer from AmigaKit (not Amikit—that’s something completely different). They confirmed the purchase and took the money, but then all communication ceased. I sent an email once a month asking about the status of my order, only to be met with dead silence. That’s all I have to say about the "premium" Amibench product.
coffeecatMember
Posted 8 hours agoQuote
I think it's impossible for Aros to reach a good maturity in the short term with contributors offering their service for free, while Amigaos and Amibench can be "premium" versions of Aros with paid contributors.
Hold my beer.
I think we're mixing up a couple of things here. A system can be free without its development being unpaid, and a paid product doesn't automatically have a well-funded development team behind it.
I agree that none of this happens overnight. But I'm not convinced that AmigaOS or AmiBench can reach that maturity in the short term, even if they were commercial products. Paid development can certainly help; the real question is how much sustained development, testing, and maintenance those projects can actually fund.
The bigger challenge I see right now is fragmentation and where we put our limited effort. We need to make AROS much easier for developers coming from other systems to get into. The goal should be familiar APIs, an accessible SDK, and a toolchain that a new developer can set up and start using in 30 minutes.
This isn't just about bringing more applications over. Some of those developers will inevitably fix missing functionality, improve libraries and tools, and leave behind a stronger foundation for everyone who comes after them. That's the kind of momentum I'd like to see. Something closer to Linux in its early days, where making the system useful to more developers also brought in more people capable of improving the system itself.
There's also the cost of getting started. A developer who is merely curious is much more likely to experiment if they can use hardware they already own (yours truly). If trying a platform requires buying a dedicated machine or a particular commercial package, some potential contributors will simply never take that first step. Making AROS easy to build and run on an existing computer could be a real advantage here.
And AI can help accelerate this process, but it doesn't make the groundwork unnecessary. If anything, it makes clear interfaces and shared building blocks even more important, so that each contribution strengthens the platform instead of becoming yet another isolated workaround.
arosbeginnerMember
Posted 13 hours agoamigaos4 kernel is property of aeon.
Aeon amikit is developing systemv54 (https://amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2021-07-00005-EN.html) and systemv46 https://wiki.amiga.org/index.php/AmiBench
the interesting thing is:
amikit is using aros to complete their system to add software to add missing software to their kernel and datatypes
Hyperion Amigaos4 is using aros kernel to complete their system
I my opinion for user is difficult to understand differences but for aros it is a resource to improve the system if the changes are brought to the main source
I think it's impossible for Aros to reach a good maturity in the short term with contributors offering their service for free, while Amigaos and Amibench can be "premium" versions of Aros with paid contributors.
I think it could be a win-win for all projects.
A user could pay for the Amigaos or Amibench license to have a quality premium system.
The development plan needs to be decided in terms of APIs and features, and it could be a consortium of three or four:
- Amikit
- Hyperion
- Amiga (Cloanto)
- Morphos
I think there is enough material to write an article about the future of AmigaOS and derived systems.
Aeon amikit is developing systemv54 (https://amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2021-07-00005-EN.html) and systemv46 https://wiki.amiga.org/index.php/AmiBench
the interesting thing is:
amikit is using aros to complete their system to add software to add missing software to their kernel and datatypes
Hyperion Amigaos4 is using aros kernel to complete their system
I my opinion for user is difficult to understand differences but for aros it is a resource to improve the system if the changes are brought to the main source
I think it's impossible for Aros to reach a good maturity in the short term with contributors offering their service for free, while Amigaos and Amibench can be "premium" versions of Aros with paid contributors.
I think it could be a win-win for all projects.
A user could pay for the Amigaos or Amibench license to have a quality premium system.
The development plan needs to be decided in terms of APIs and features, and it could be a consortium of three or four:
- Amikit
- Hyperion
- Amiga (Cloanto)
- Morphos
I think there is enough material to write an article about the future of AmigaOS and derived systems.
Edited by arosbeginner on 28-09-2026 05:51, 13 hours ago
@deadwood - During Pianeta Amiga show last weekend, AmigaLabs team revealed an AmigaOS 4 kernel replacement which is based on AROS kernel and supports multiple core.
You can read more in this report: https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/2026/09/powerboard-tyche-unveiled-at-pianeta-amiga/
Middle of page, search for "AmigaLabs"
Wow, Impressive
Does that mean that Dickenson has wasted some money
AROS has more influence than I think most of the Amiga Community knows
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 18 hours agoHaha, that's a nice one 
FaroxSenior Member
Posted 18 hours agoNow i realized when i was just arrived and waiting for Deremon to arrive at the event, Andrea Palmatè came to my table and sayd "Now we are almost brothers", but at the moment i didn't understand and he didn't gave to me any other explanations. What a pity i did not take a video of his intervent with Walkero that was already present at Pianeta Amiga.
2 users reacted to this post
Argo, miker1264
deadwoodAROS Dev
Posted 19 hours agoDuring Pianeta Amiga show last weekend, AmigaLabs team revealed an AmigaOS 4 kernel replacement which is based on AROS kernel and supports multiple core.
You can read more in this report: https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/2026/09/powerboard-tyche-unveiled-at-pianeta-amiga/
Middle of page, search for "AmigaLabs"
You can read more in this report: https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/2026/09/powerboard-tyche-unveiled-at-pianeta-amiga/
Middle of page, search for "AmigaLabs"
4 users reacted to this post
Argo, miker1264, A500Fan, sonountaleban
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator

