Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

For icaros 2.0

Last updated on 9 years ago
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
I am looking for a good laptop that icaros supports 100% including WiFi! Does anybody know of a laptop that I can buy in eBay that works with icaros, even the new coming version 2.0 that supports WiFi?

Thanks in advance!
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago

xboxown wrote:

I am looking for a good laptop that icaros supports 100% including WiFi! Does anybody know of a laptop that I can buy in eBay that works with icaros, even the new coming version 2.0 that supports WiFi?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know how current this is but take a look at this page: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_Complete_System_HCL

Looks like the Satellite A200 may satisfy all components, including WiFi.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago
Or

Aspire One
AOA110 (A110) (ZG5)
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
@xboxown
In addition to what amigamiga suggested, be aware that even in the same model range, revisions of chips might have changed. Especially for wireless sometimes even the brand of used chips changed.

So, even though it seems you obtain the same hardware, (in the worst case scenario) things might differ that causes things to fail for AROS.

Best would be to to choose a laptop model that you can replace the wifi card or alternatively take into account having to add f.e. an wifi usb adapter as backup solution.

aspireos.com page here has some more info.

Alternatively you can peek at phoenikonsole's shop (or buy from). here is an example.
Edited by magorium on 10-10-2014 08:57, 9 years ago
X
xboxownJunior Member
Posted 9 years ago
THANK YOU GUYS ALL FOR EVERYTHING!! This is exactly what I need!! I do not care if the screen size is only 8" and the hardware is way outdated I just do not have the space anymore for a my AROS tower PC nor do I wish to be again upstairs in my bedroom to use it.

I really like to have the convenience to go anywhere to use it, heck I even like to watch movies on that machine on the bus and the small size 8" is perfect portability for that!

Now the only problem is finding the hardware! THANK YOU GUYS! I am going to use AROS 2.0 as my Amiga alternative :D AROS 2.0 is what AmigaOS 4.1 should have being, an x86 Amiga!

THANKS again guys for everything!
S
slygonNewbie
Posted 9 years ago
I was wondering if anyone has tried one of the new HP Stream 11" laptops with ICAROS or any other AROS flavor... at $199.00, it seems like a good little AROS machine... Now, I am a complete AROS/ICAROS newbie... I am just starting to figure things out, so I don't know if the hardware in the laptop is compatible... Has anyone tried this?
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago

slygon wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has tried one of the new HP Stream 11" laptops with ICAROS or any other AROS flavor... at $199.00, it seems like a good little AROS machine... Now, I am a complete AROS/ICAROS newbie... I am just starting to figure things out, so I don't know if the hardware in the laptop is compatible... Has anyone tried this?

It looks like a nifty little laptop but I think the video will only run in VESA mode since it is an Intel HD integrated type. I can't find what type of wireless and Ethernet card it has but those are your most important things to take in consideration IMO. A computer without network support is as good as doorstop in the modern era. You could always run Aros/Icaros in VIrtual Box/VMWare Player/Qemu on top of Windows/Linux and still have a great laptop on your hands.
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago
And by the way.. Welcome to AROS World! ;)

Ask/Post in here until your fingers hurt from typing :D
S
slygonNewbie
Posted 9 years ago
Thanks!

I run Icaros in VMWare on my current laptop now... it works fine... but I would really like something native... just for fun!

I can't find what wireless it has either... It doesn't have a wired network card in it... I will keep digging on that one!

As for video, that was something I wasn't sure on... AROS/ICAROS doesn't support the Intel integrated video natively?

Thanks again!
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 9 years ago
If you find out what kind of Intel video card it has, you can see if it is listed here

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/x86_support

There seems to be some Intel 2D and 3D support but doesn't state which type. It only says:

• Intel 2D and 3D. 2D for many netbooks and motherboards. 3D for a few early netbooks and motherboards
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
modern intel graphics chipsets are (currently) not supported.

Some other concerns about that specific laptop:
- Only a few wireless chipsets are supported. Even revision changes can cause AROS to fail. If you can replace the wireless card then ok, otherwise i would leave the laptop alone. Also because you say it has no wired connection.
- AROS seems to have problems with certain SSD setups, current status: unknown what causes it.
- The webcam will not work without writing a driver for it.

That's all i could think of atm.

fwiw: especially searching for a laptop that is 100% supported by AROS is a pita, and would probably end up in something like an older model eeepc or a netbook that has similar hardware.
S
slygonNewbie
Posted 9 years ago
Thanks.

The more I look at it, the more I think it will be a problem... Which is too bad, that would be a great price for a new small AROS/ICAROS laptop, and the hardware is getting good reviews for being so cheap!

Now if I could just figure out the parts to build a good AROS desktop, I would do that! I just see way too many vague references in the hardware lists! I would really love to have 3D support for AROS as I can't get that using virtualization software.
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago

slygon wrote:

Now if I could just figure out the parts to build a good AROS desktop, I would do that! I just see way too many vague references in the hardware lists! I would really love to have 3D support for AROS as I can't get that using virtualization software.

Here's another vague reference. I have a gf8400 and 3d works fine on my Aros desktop. Most of the 7xxx, 8xxx, and 9xxx series work okay. There are exceptions, so I can't say that you are safe to get one of these, even another model gf8400. But these cards are old enough that you should be able to try one at low cost :)

good luck !
Edited by cavemann on 05-03-2015 01:19, 9 years ago
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, amigamia, magorium, xboxown, slygon
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 8
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]