Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Grub AutoConfig?

Last updated on 10 years ago
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 10 years ago
Hello AROSIANS,

I have recently installed AspireOS on HP Mini 1000 along side PearOS Linux. Problem is that I installed AspireOS after, which wiped my grub config to boot in linux and now I only have the AROS menu entries.

How do I auto-configure grub in AROS to bring the linux boot items back? I found online there is a utility called grub-mkconfig but I can seem to find it in AspireOS.

Any idea?
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 10 years ago
That is not going to solve itself automatically :(

Here you can read more. afaik you would need to add your linux entry manually.

As you can see, you should have done it the other way around :@

But no harm, if you know where your linux was installed. Be aware that the drive-index-numbers have changed with grub 2. i have no idea what aspireos uses (as it is rather old now).
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 10 years ago
Thanks Magorium. I will look into it next week end. This week is going to be busy for me
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 10 years ago
I managed to make it work. I installed ElementaryOS to replace PearOS. Once done I was able to go in eOS and modify the grub config to add the AROS entries in there. Now the options come up when I hold the shift key down upon boot.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 10 years ago
Nice you got things working. hopefully you'll be able to enjoy.

ElementaryOS.... hmz, you are not the person that uses the most mainstream solutions, are you ?

ah well, aros isn't that mainstream as well :D

in case of aros problems, you'll know where to find me B)
amigamiaamigamiaAdmin
Posted 10 years ago

ElementaryOS.... hmz, you are not the person that uses the most mainstream solutions, are you ?

Hey Magorium, ElementaryOS is basically Ubuntu Linux but packed in a more user friendly way. The UI is very similar to MAC OS X with some additional perks. It works very well on my HP Mini 1000 with 1GB RAM, it's lightweight, simple but yet elegant. You should take a look at it yourself. That's the kind of interface I envision one day for AROS.
M
magoriumSoftware Dev
Posted 10 years ago
Hi amigamia,

Now that i read back my writings, i realize that may have sounded a bit reproached (which wasn't my intention). sorry for that.

Seeing the specs of the machine (which are pretty similar as my eebox) i will certainly try that (if even to check out the gui as you mentioned).

I've used eeebuntu in the past (but that seems currently dead, or as they call it 'integrated in mainstream ubuntu' ), and now have ubuntu installed with wubi.(unfortunately i still do require the windblows part, which i currently cannot solve with whine).

thanks for the mentioning, otherwise i would not have found it myself (i'm such a no-no when it comes to such things :D )
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: amigamia, magorium
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 1
Members Online 0

Total Members: 224
Newest Member: Zhule
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]