Oh no! Where's the JavaScript?
Your Web browser does not have JavaScript enabled or does not support JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript on your Web browser to properly view this Web site, or upgrade to a Web browser that does support JavaScript.

Vote for your favorite AROS game.

Last updated on 9 years ago
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 10 years ago
I've finally got around to trying Red Eclipse. Like Assault Cube Reloaded, it's basicly a multiplayer team deathmatch fps. Although I only tried it in single player mode.

I'm probably not the best person to give an overview, since I prefer the old monster-filled, level-clearing, find-the-exit shooters. But I'll make a couple of points.

Unlike the cube series, the Red Eclipse menus are very nice. I've also noticed that the frame rate seems much better than Assault cube (at least on my gf-8400), the action is smoother and not as jerky.

Sad to say, I still could not get the gamma adjustment to work, so many level maps had areas that were dark and difficult to navigate.

Also, some levels don't load correctly. When that happens, I switch to the Workbench screen and click cancel on the requester until the level is finished loading. It seems to play ok after that.

Overall I think Red Eclipse should place higher than Assault Cube Reloaded.

On the subject of Assault Cube, I mentioned before that I was getting graphic glitches. Well it seems I was causing the problem myself. Instead of hitting the 'w' key to go forward, I sometimes hit the 'e' key by mistake. That puts the game into a strange graphics mode. So be careful not to hit a wrong key ;)

Of course, this overview is just a starting point. Go find out which Aros game is best for yourself :)
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 10 years ago
The results are in (and I am surprised again this year).

http://obligement.free.fr/hitparade/award2013.php
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
It's time to vote for the AROS game of the year, 2014.

http://obligement.free.fr/hitparade/award2014.php
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
Last year, the AROS game list had a bunch of shooters. This year, the games seem to be more about puzzles. Here is a closer look at the choices for the 2014 game of the year.

Jedi Academy: Jedi Outcast:
---------------------------
I haven't played Jedi Academy for a while. I remember I had to raise the stack and and lower the texture setting, so it would run okay on my machine.

Imo, this game is much better than last year's shooters. The story helps to give the game character. But using the light saber was awkward for me. I guess I'll never be a jedi.

I haven't tried Jedi Outcast yet, but I'll bet it has similar action. So if you like Jedi Academy, consider Jedi Outcast too.

Soulride:
---------
First, I had to create a folder before unpacking this, there does not seem to be a default directory for the files.

After double-clicking on the game, it asked for a file (Mammoth.srt) which is not one of the mountain slopes available. So instead, I had to execute one of the three scripts from the shell. Still the game couldn't find some files. When I checked the directory, the files were there, but had an underline in the name instead of a space. So I had to rename lots of files to get the game to work.

I kept crashing my snow board at first, but after awhile I could work my way down the slope and even do some flips. But so far, I still haven't made a complete run.

Got only about 16 fps with my gf6250, using the default settings, but it seemed to be smooth enough.

TailTale:
---------
TailTale is a block positioning game. You have to clear at least four blocks in a row. And more rows of blocks are added as you play. It starts out a little slow, but gets more hectic as you go along.

It has a strong Japanese flavor to it. I have no idea what the anime scenes have to do with the game, but they are cool in their own way. I guess I'll have to get farther into the game to find the answer.

The game has occasional sound hiccups and I had a freeze-up, so it might be a good idea to raise the stack.

MultiRacer:
-----------
This game has a sense of humor and does not take itself too seriously. No one would normally think of household vehicles as race cars.

Unfortunately I could not give the game a good workout, because I had no one around to try out the 'multi' part of the game. Up to 4 players can race. It seems like it would be a good laugh with a few players, especially when racing through some narrow spaces.

Too bad there is no computer opponent or network play. But there is a ghost player so that a single player can try to beat his previous time.

The game had a good frame rate, and did not seem to slow down, at least in single player mode. Although the graphics are not spectacular, they are not bad either.

Berusky:
--------
A maze game, where you have to unblock passages to get the keys to the level exit.

First off, I got a stack out of range error. So I had to raise the stack before playing.

Then I tried to use fullscreen in native mode, but the game had corrupt graphics. So I tried fullscreen again using Vesa, the graphics were good, but then I had mouse problems, until I changed the game's resolution.

But in window mode there were no graphics or mouse issues, it played well and looked very polished. I recommend this one if you are into maze type puzzle games.

Xump:
-----
This is a puzzle game where you have to clear all the tiles, while moving from one safe area to another, and before you run out of time. The first levels are very simple, but get tough quickly.

Sqrz4:
------
Like any of the Sqrz series, quick reflex action is needed to get very far. There are so many ways to die in this jump and run game. Perhaps, someday I'll make it through a level. You can find this game is in the Icaros distro :)

VoxelNoid:
----------
I am not a big fan of pixelated graphics, and these voxel games takes pixels to the extreme. Otoh, I am a big fan of retro chip tunes. Wow that sound is nice.

This is a 3d-ish variation of the Arkanoid game. After a brick breaks, you can collect the voxel fragments for more power. You have a power flame to help break bricks too. VoxelNoid has commercial quality graphics and sound.

Voxel Bird:
-----------
This game is similar to the flappy bird game, with very professional graphics and sounds. So all Aros flappy birds should take a peep.

Gnat's Tetris Machine:
----------------------
I am happy to see that one of my ports is being considered this year. But to be honest, it doesn't compare well to some of the other contenders.

It's not bad for a Tetris Clone, so if you're into Tetris, have a go, it's in the Icaros distro.

WhoBecomesAmigaGuru:
--------------------
At last a Hollywood program that has the Hollywood libs included. No need to install anything.

This game is a mock quiz show that tests your knowledge of Amiga Triva. It would be more interesting to me, if there was some background information that explains the correct answer, when you miss a question. Also, it seems very text oriented, so more Amiga related images would be welcome. And more topics would be cool too. How's your C64 IQ?

SpiderCave:
-----------
I kept getting error messages at first. It's likely that I did not have Hollywood, or one of its components installed correctly.

But finally, somehow it started. The graphics looked ok, but for some reason the keyboard did not work if I chose to see the intro. So I skipped the intro. Now how to play?

Move arrows left and right to move your cave ship to a station, or to catch a parachute with supplies. If the station has a red arrow you can build a ladder to the spider web with the space bar. Spiders are dropping things that tear down ladders and can destroy your ship. You can use the up key to protect yourself with a flame. And if your ladder is complete, you can use the 'b' key which shoots a beam that collects the spider eggs. Collect enough eggs and you're off to the next level.

SpiderCave is a typical shareware game. Hollywood seems to be inspiring a new crop of coders.

If you haven't tried some of these, I hope a game or two seemed interesting to you. Which will be your 2014 game of the year?
C
cavemannSoftware Dev
Posted 9 years ago
The votes are in. And I am not surprised this year, since the winner seems obvious. Still, as a puzzle fanatic, I was hoping Berusky would find a place.

Hopefully we will have plenty of games again this year :)

The results:
http://obligement.free.fr/hitparade/award2014.php
You can view all discussion threads in this forum.
You cannot start a new discussion thread in this forum.
You cannot reply in this discussion thread.
You cannot start on a poll in this forum.
You cannot upload attachments in this forum.
You can download attachments in this forum.
Moderator: Administrator
Users who participated in discussion: cavemann, amigamia, magorium
Sign In
Not a member yet? Click here to register.
Forgot Password?
Users Online Now
Guests Online 4
Members Online 0

Total Members: 220
Newest Member: walkero
Member Polls
Should AROSWorld continue with AROS-Exec files (SMF based)?
Yes44 %
44% [12 Votes]
No26 %
26% [7 Votes]
Not sure30 %
30% [8 Votes]